Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins Idle-Up Feature

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Quite by accident (brain fart), and contrary to what the Diesel Supplement to the OM states, I discovered that engaging the Idle-Up Feature with the speed control switches (cruise control) does not require the parking brake to be set. Put it in park, take your foot off the brake pedal, press the speed control button and then the accel/resume button. Engine RPM will increase to 1100 RPM. I use the Idle-Up Feature frequently when making short stops in the nasty cold so as not to be beating the batteries up with the grid heater via repetitive starts. I'm also a advocate of using the parking brake frequently just to keep it working although not always when parked on the straight and level.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I'm thinking that the reference to the parking brake in the procedure is no more than FCA's sensitivity to some people's propensity to do stupid things. There are numerous instances within the manuals that iterate setting the parking brake for this, that or another thing and especially when leaving the vehicle. I generally advocate for using it too, but it is also probably a byproduct of the litigious society we live in.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Safety first....and second.... and just in case third!! On my 12 I can reach in and turn the fob to start with out touching the brake or even setting the parking brake. ;) Supper handy.

Users who are viewing this thread