Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins 6.7 gas motor

Torqued

Reaction score
Who would be interested in a Cummins 6.7 gas if it made 450 hp at 2800 rpm and 850 lbs torque at 1800 rpm. Finally a motor without too much emmisions crap.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ford has the right idea. Nothing better than a big N/A old-skool pushrod v8.
Sure if you want high fuel bills and ok power the 7.3 is not bad… displacement is good but no matter the displacement forced induction makes it better.

And when you talk about “old - skool” you mean back when we used to put blowers on the big blocks for more power?

silver billet

Reaction score
Sure if you want high fuel bills and ok power the 7.3 is not bad… displacement is good but no matter the displacement forced induction makes it better.

And when you talk about “old - skool” you mean back when we used to put blowers on the big blocks for more power?

No, I meant when they were big N/A old-skool pushrod v8's.

If you think N/A fuel bills are high, you clearly haven't owned a gas turbo in a truck and worked it hard.

I love to talk trucks, but you need to drop the smug condescension. I'm just going to move on from this thread as clearly you're more interesting in pretending to be special then actually having a real conversation.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I love to talk trucks, but you need to drop the smug condescension. I'm just going to move on from this thread as clearly you're more interesting in pretending to be special then actually having a real conversation.
The OP started a thread regarding the potential 6.7 gas engine.... Which has a turbo.... Your very first post reads like you had no idea it will have a turbo.... He was just correcting you. Calm down.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No, I meant when they were big N/A old-skool pushrod v8's.

If you think N/A fuel bills are high, you clearly haven't owned a gas turbo in a truck and worked it hard.

since there has never been a production gas/turbo HD truck before how can you say it wont be as good?

Mind you i have driven a late 3rd gen with a procharger on a 5.7 hemi pulling a fairly loaded trailer and it was great and the milage and power was better than a comparable N/A hemi so there is that.

You are not trying to have a conversation you are just making outright statements.

I grew up with big block V8s. sure they had their time when gas was cheap but I6 engines always had more tq for equal displacement like the old dodge slant6 and ford 300 straight 6 would out tow a 305 chevy and last many more years. Turbos are the next step in sustainable clean and efficient power for the new generation of vehicles especially with the VGT turbos and newer electronics.

Also now with the weight of vehicles increasing as well as the towing capacity's the demand for more power has the traditional N/A V8s almost maxed out trying to make reliable power. This irrational fear for turbos on Gas engines makes no sense. these days as turbos have proven themselves to be a great add on to any engine and have a life span that usually surpasses the engine its mated too.

silver billet

Reaction score
since there has never been a production gas/turbo HD truck before how can you say it wont be as good?

Because there is nothing unique about an HD truck and we know how gas turbos work in cars and half tons vs N/A.

Following the advice above, you can hang out in my ignore list.

zerocool

Reaction score
As much as I LOVE my N/A V8 or any v8 for that matter the idea of a i6 turbo does sound appealing of done right. Keyword RIGHT. Not a hurricane fan, but it doea vastly outperform any hd gasser. Now set it up with a super efficient turbo with the right exhaust for faster spool and mate it to a really good intercooler setup and the options are limitless. The faster spool would lower the power band and flatten it out, the efficient turbo could retain that power to mid rpm levels.

Again I LOVE my v8, but more power thats reliable would be great! But dont say it is for mpg as the testing doesnt shpw a big enough difference vs modern v8s to beat standard deviation let alone make a hill of beans worth of difference. But lower end torque + a flatter power band + being better at elevation + much better overall power for the same mpgs = yes please. Sure it wont pish me to get an exhaust to hear that sweet v8 rumble, bit honestly towing with a headers back exhaust v8 os getting a little old even for a gear head like me lol.

The only worry I would have is more parts = more possible repairs and a new platform that isnt tested for the typical HD uses.

thecastle

Reaction score
One thing is that Cummins has released the gasoline powered 6.7, called the B6.7 Octane https://mart.cummins.com/imagelibrary/data/assetfiles/0072230.pdf

One wonders that in light of GM potentially developing a rumored 8.3L 600hp/1200lbft duramax and the emissions fines against cummins... That cummins has lost the resources (money in fines) to develop new competitive engines, and RAM may have to move to another engine provider to compete with GM/Ford. The 6.7 Cummins High output at 420hp/1075lb-ft, will not be terribly competitive in the world of 500-600hp diesels in ford/chevy with more than 1200lbft. Also ram hasn't upgraded the transmission either... A larger displacement diesel makes sense in my mind for emissions and future power upgrades Lager displacement/lower boost could potentially mean lower combustion temps and less NOx. Maybe the 3500+ will move to the X10?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
One thing is that Cummins has released the gasoline powered 6.7, called the B6.7 Octane https://mart.cummins.com/imagelibrary/data/assetfiles/0072230.pdf

One wonders that in light of GM potentially developing a rumored 8.3L 600hp/1200lbft duramax and the emissions fines against cummins... That cummins has lost the resources (money in fines) to develop new competitive engines, and RAM may have to move to another engine provider to compete with GM/Ford. The 6.7 Cummins High output at 420hp/1075lb-ft, will not be terribly competitive in the world of 500-600hp diesels in ford/chevy with more than 1200lbft. Also ram hasn't upgraded the transmission either... A larger displacement diesel makes sense in my mind for emissions and future power upgrades Lager displacement/lower boost could potentially mean lower combustion temps and less NOx. Maybe the 3500+ will move to the X10?
You really think that 1.6billion is any more than pocket change for Cummins? They have plenty of resources and money besides anything they would be developing would have started years ago

thecastle

Reaction score
The 1.67 billion settlement, plus $325 million to remedy violations is just the government portion of the taking. Cummins expects to spend 2.04 billion approximately, this doesn't cover the internal costs of answering the government or the lawyer fee's / expenses they incurred defending and negotiating the settlement https://investor.cummins.com/news/d...s-agreement-in-principle-to-settle-regulatory. The government doesn't want to put Cummins out of business. However, the cost of the settlement will be about 1 years worth of profits (depending) and Cummins will borrow money (access capital markets) to pay the settlement according to their press release. The loss of capital and added debt to pay the fine could very well result in cut backs on new light duty truck diesel engine development. Plus I'm sure any new engines that Cummins creates will go through the EPA ringer adding yet more cost to navigate the red tape. So my opinion this isn't good for the company and may have an impact on future engine development, but it shouldn't put the company out of business. The question is does Cummins have a competitive engine to answer Ford and the rumored Chevy 8.3L in 2026, and does it have the resources and see a big enough market opportunity to make one?

Users who are viewing this thread