Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CTD oil and filter maintenance

Blythkd1

Reaction score
OK, I'll start off by saying this is mostly just bitching but I can't be the only one that feels this way. Maybe we'll get some helpful feedback and/or pointers.

Oil filter
It's always a mess. I know there's a threaded plug to screw into the filter or some drop the filter in a bag before pulling it out of the truck but....... I can really only get one hand up in there then I can't see what I'm doing so any manipulation to save mess at this point seems like it may be more trouble than it's worth. I mean, after you unscrew the filter, the oil is already running down and dripping all over the cross member and suspension anyway so the mess has begun. Then I have a H of a time trying to get the new filter in place to thread back on. One handed and can't see anything. From up above I can see it but in a H of a position to get a hand on it and get it started. I know it was designed as a tractor engine, it's just beyond me why Cummins and Ram haven't properly redesigned something as simple as the oil filter a full third of a century later.

Fuel filters
I'm basically beside myself after changing the fuel filter under the hood. By the time I get a hand on it, my arm is getting all chewed up. The filter lifts up a bit in the housing then has to rock over sideways with interference from a wire harness before it will come out. The cartridge barely comes up through all the harnesses and other obstacles and won't come out until you pull wiring out of the way, then you wonder if you're knocking debris into the open filter housing. Manual says to inspect the inside of the housing for debris. Really? From nearly 2 feet away? If there's fine debris in there, there's no way I could see it from that distance. The drain ran fuel all over everything under the front of the truck witth fuel dripping off the steering linkage from virtually one side of the truck to the other. Who knows how well the housing drained out? You can't see down in it. You can see part of the rear wall of the housing, none of the front side. Then the loose fitting O-ring on the housing got gathered up by the cover and all F'd up. And yes I oiled it with engine oil just like the manual said. 2nd time I used Vaseline and had better results. Plastic fuel filter housings? Now there's a stellar idea. And I know, it's not just Ram, they all use them.

The rear filter was actually almost a joy once I got to it. Access was fine and it falls out the bottom of the housing like they all should. The only downside I saw to it was it drains out pretty slowly. When you open the drain, it starts out draining very well but then it gets slow. So I just went ahead and loosened the cover and got fuel on me. No big deal.

Some engineer would have to explain to me why that secondary filter couldn't be relocated back on the frame right by the primary filter. Then it could fall out the bottom of the housing too as it should.

I know without a doubt I will get flamed for this but I used to service my Duramax in 10 minutes with zero mess. And most of that time was draining oil and pouring it back in. That was a 2012. Their L5P (2017+) sucks too). It absolutely baffles me how a company with the best drivetrain you can get in a HD pickup could miss the boat so badly on maintenance and ease thereof.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to wait longer on removing the oil filter as they drain back around 1/3 of the oil. It’s easier to remove and no mess. You’re supposed to let the 6.7 drain for at least 30 minutes anyhow, so do the filter last.

How are you not getting within 2’ of the engine mounted fuel filter? I climb up and can look down into the filter, it’s pretty easy.

Modern engine bays do not leave much room for maintenance, but there are tips and techniques that really help out.

The oil filter on my ‘22 is much easier to change than the one on my ‘18, but both are harder than the ‘05 was thou the ‘22 isn’t enough harder to complain about. It’s the frame, fenders, and A/C plumbing that get in the way, which doesn’t really mean the location on the engine is bad.

Nick

Reaction score
If you would read some posts regarding oil and fuel filter changes that folks on this forum have posted with ideas and ways to make it less of a hassle it may make your next change easier .

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm in a bit better mood this morning:)

I'm curious how the filter drains down any since it's hanging straight down. I'm not understanding that one. And I agree the location on the engine was fine but now it doesn't fit the application worth a hoot so it would be really nice if they would change it. I really don't think a casting redesign is that big a deal, not just for a filter relocation anyway.

The 2 feet away was an estimate of how far my face is from the fuel filter housing. I can't get right over the top of it and the viewing angle does not allow me to see down in it, just at an angle. I can't see the bottom and I damn sure can't get my big melon down in there. I can barely get an arm in there.

I've done searches and read some posts but haven't came up with the silver bullet yet. That's where I saw the suggestions for the threaded plug or plastic bag for the oil filter. The oil filter mess didn't bother me nearly as much as some of the rest of it. I poked a finger in it and pulled it out pretty fast so it didn't make much more mess than was already made. I've read about the guy making the special tool with a plastic jug for removal of the rear fuel filter. But that part was easy on my my truck. I think the chassis cab setup is different from what the rest of you all deal with on that one. My rear filter is just ahead of the front fuel tank which actually puts it under the rear of the cab and right on the frame rail.

I'm optimistic this process will get better with time, or maybe I'll at least get used to it. Sometimes it's amazing what you can get used to.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
There isn’t an anti-drain back valve in the filter so there is a slight vacuum as it cools.

Yes your C&C frame is a bit different up front and more like the 03-12 3500’s than the current 3500’s.

flan

Reaction score
I joked earlier about jiffy lube only because it was late and didn’t feel like typing much. :p But anyhow yes, oil does defy gravity if the truck sits for about a half hour and the filter will be about half full. CC trucks I use a filter wrench from the bottom like this with about a foot and a half worth of extension. I then drop it out the bottom. On my truck I use a wrench through the opening in the wheelwell like this, then once it’s off the filter housing, thread on the plug and it comes out the opening in the wheelwell.
For fuel filters I extended the front filters drain hose down past the axle. Put a drain pan under it, open the WIF drain fully and use the proper size socket with a universal and a couple extensions to loosen the cap. Once loose the cap pops up and I’ll let that sit a few min so the fuel doesn’t drip too bad removing it from the engine bay.
The rear fuel filter housing I loosen a tad, then remove the drain screw and let the housing drain. Catch the fuel however you like. Continue to loosen the fuel filter housing until removal. That ones a bit more awkward and messy but you just learn by your mistakes and it becomes smoother as time goes on.

*just a final note those wrenches I linked are just for reference for the type, the actual size may be wrong...

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the input. I just realized what I was trying to do with this thread may not be working out as expected. I was trying to put together an easily searchable thread to help guys through their first filter changes. However, my chassis cab truck it seems is enough different from most of the other trucks that this thread likely won't be as helpful as I had intended.

Good tip on waiting a while to take the oil filter off. I can usually do that but last night I really didn't have time. I'll try that next time and see how it goes.

And yes, after taking the front fuel filter cap off, I got tired of tearing up my arms and rigged up 2 long extensions plus a universal joint. I was just apprehensive to use the U-joint for fear that it would pop off of the hex on the cap and screw it up. The main thing I worry about on that front filter is knocking dirt/debris in it when the housing is open. Don't quite know what to do about that.

And yeah, I've got you all beat on that rear fuel filter. Mine is easy peasy. Good thing part of the process goes well. Another good point that I failed to make last night when I was still fairly PO'd, I cycled the key 3X to prime the fuel and it fired up normally with zero hesitation or missing. I was happy about that. Good thing, I was about ready to throw a molotov at it!

Users who are viewing this thread