Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy Insurance Rates on new 3500

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Funny story, had a new RV- broken windshield on the highway in TX. Paid by insurance $4500! Progressive- I knew my rates would skyrocket. Funny part they went down $200 a year.

My advice is to shop around. Had safeco for a few cars rates went up 40% no claims with them, left and went to State Farm and rates were lower than I was paying with safeco.

BamaOEF

Reaction score
We are all paying for the costs of insuring electric vehicles even if we do not own one. (Think Liability coverage if you hit one) Saw a story where two Hyundai Ionic 5's were totaled due to minor battery damage due to road debris. $60,000 to replace the batteries. Not to mention to costs to repair the other brands.
For example, Rivian R1T $42,000 to repair a quarter panel after a minor fender bender. Buddy at work was rear-ended in his Tesla Model X. It was in the shop for 4 months waiting for repair. No parts supposedly. About 30k I think he said, plus he only had a rental for a month. Not to mention the spontaneous combustion fires when crashing, charging, or sitting parked. Free market at work I guess.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
We are all paying for the costs of insuring electric vehicles even if we do not own one. (Think Liability coverage if you hit one) Saw a story where two Hyundai Ionic 5's were totaled due to minor battery damage due to road debris. $60,000 to replace the batteries. Not to mention to costs to repair the other brands.
For example, Rivian R1T $42,000 to repair a quarter panel after a minor fender bender. Buddy at work was rear-ended in his Tesla Model X. It was in the shop for 4 months waiting for repair. No parts supposedly. About 30k I think he said, plus he only had a rental for a month. Not to mention the spontaneous combustion fires when crashing, charging, or sitting parked. Free market at work I guess.
A post on FB locally was of a base model 3 Tesla. Super minor fender bender- needed a front fender, headlight and bumper cover. Typically a Toyota Corolla this would be a 2500-3000 repair in a high cost of living area. This Tesla was 12K!

Enve46

Reaction score
You make a good point. My tenant had his Rivian totalled due to a rear fender bender. That panel runs all the way to the front and Rivian calls for an entire replacement.

whitexc

Reaction score
Just got my 6 mo renewal from Jake for the White Night (‘21 Big Horn gasser) at $565. I also have a Subaru, 5th wheel and 2 snowmobile lawn ornaments on the account. I pay $220+\- a month for everything. Homeowners is through them as well but that is escrowed and helps to get the multiline discount. This in Western NY.

Sent from me

Last edited:

werard

Reaction score
What we are al paying for is the money these companies have had to shell out over the past few years for the wildfire. tornados, and hurricanes in addotion to "inflation"

Docwagon1776

Reaction score
I've so many horror stories about the decline of USAA, it's scared me off getting a quote.

I started using them from the year they opened membership to enlisted service members. After almost 20 years of continuously using them, I switched to Geico. Auto insurance wasn't the big issue, although pricewise they weren't nearly as good a deal as they were prior to them advertising nationally. Home insurance was a dumpster fire in an overflowing sewage station.

batman900

Reaction score
I had switched from State Farm to Allstate a year ago to save money after 25 years with SF. When I got my RAM, the rate for my truck was substantially more than our other 3 vehicles combined. Jumped ship to Progressive at half the price. It's odd because the 23 Tundra 1794 I briefly owned had an msrp not far from the RAM's, the RAM must have bad statistics or something for it to be so high. Currently paying less than 190 a month for: 24 RAM & 23 4Runner full coverage, 11 Accord & 05 Tundra liability, I'm 39 with no claims.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
and $20,000 batteries, $40,000 collision repairs on all these EV's they're shoving down our throats.
And CEO salaries and new office buildings etc.… they will all tighten your belt before they tighten theirs. Hope everyone took a deep breath and have a couple more notches left.

werard

Reaction score
and $20,000 batteries, $40,000 collision repairs on all these EV's they're shoving down our throats.

In the overall scheme as of now EV's are a minuscule amount of the vehicles on the road. There are far more ICE vehicles, however the the fact that the "major" parts of an EV are more expensive does have a slight factor in it.

56ram2500

Reaction score
I had switched from State Farm to Allstate a year ago to save money after 25 years with SF. When I got my RAM, the rate for my truck was substantially more than our other 3 vehicles combined. Jumped ship to Progressive at half the price. It's odd because the 23 Tundra 1794 I briefly owned had an msrp not far from the RAM's, the RAM must have bad statistics or something for it to be so high. Currently paying less than 190 a month for: 24 RAM & 23 4Runner full coverage, 11 Accord & 05 Tundra liability, I'm 39 with no claims.
As I was told our insurance rates are not just based on the MSPR of the vehicle but also on the cost of replacement parts & labor to fix it...

Enve46

Reaction score
In the overall scheme as of now EV's are a minuscule amount of the vehicles on the road. There are far more ICE vehicles, however the the fact that the "major" parts of an EV are more expensive does have a slight factor in it.
I wouldn’t focus on the sheer number vs game but the amount of increase of them on the road year over year. I think last I read there was almost a 3% INCREASE of EVs on the road in 2023. The cost of repairs on majority of these EVs are without a doubt more expensive due to the sensors for autonomous driving, lane keep assist etc that these cars have standard vs options on others.

That last point is the other attributing factor in my opinion. The sensors. Also as forced induction becomes more popular you now have additional sensors and items behind the front bumper like intercoolers that add up in costs of repairs.

JimKIII

Reaction score
I started using them from the year they opened membership to enlisted service members. After almost 20 years of continuously using them, I switched to Geico. Auto insurance wasn't the big issue, although pricewise they weren't nearly as good a deal as they were prior to them advertising nationally. Home insurance was a dumpster fire in an overflowing sewage station.
I've had USAA since the mid-70s, auto insurance only. For the past 10 years I've had their homeowner's ins as well and notice the crazy $ increase. I hate to have to shop around, but now I must - and not succumb to sentimentality. Money is money and insurance is bleeding me dry.

Cseybert

Reaction score
I’ve had USAA since the mid 80s auto and Home. Prices also increased over the years but I have found changing insurance companies they give you a great number for the first six months and then start raising your rates you can’t win for losing. USAA is still the cheapest for my home and automobiles.

Big Red 3500

Reaction score
do some Comparisions with other companies. Every now and then you have to rattle the branches to sort out the dead wood.
I just added my 2024 3500 Big Horn it's 2100.00 per yr. I was only paying 600.00 yr for a 2010 Corvette Z06 with full coverage, even when I bought the car new it was not that much. The trucks do seem to be expensive

gimmie11s

Reaction score
What we are al paying for is the money these companies have had to shell out over the past few years for the wildfire. tornados, and hurricanes in addotion to "inflation"

Doubtful -- Wildfires, tornados, and hurricanes have been happening since the beginning of time.

EV's have not.

Users who are viewing this thread