Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I wonder which replacement fuel pump the kit contains?

It says to
36. Reprogram the PCM with the correct Sym Cam Injection Pump calibration. Please refer to all published TSBs regarding Fuel Injection Pump identification, and PCM reprogramming procedures.
so it's still the second attempt glitter bomb.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
I'm hoping for a recall, noticed what looked like metal flakes the last time I changed the fuel filters.
My first fuel filter changes are coming up in 30-45 days.. Going to go over them with a fine tooth comb myself. Fingers crossed.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
That sounds like a generic repair proceedure for a blown CP4. I can't imagine they want to keep repairing thousands of units rather then just replace with updated pumps to eliminate what I guess is a COSTLY warranty repair.. I guess we will know in a month...Tic Toc.....

I agree, but remain concerned that their "solution" will be that trucks that actually have failed CP4s may end up with a new procedure to replace with the new ISB - maybe - but not proactively address all the CP4s that have not failed. That was a driving reason for me swapping the '20 for a '21.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Are you guys saying that a fix is in the works, but the fix may be simply replacing the CP-4 with the very same pump?
Are you also saying only failed trucks are to be fixed, and there wont be a recall, but more of a fix what fails and a "campaign"?
WTF?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you guys saying that a fix is in the works, but the fix may be simply replacing the CP-4 with the very same pump?
Are you also saying only failed trucks are to be fixed, and there wont be a recall, but more of a fix what fails and a "campaign"?
WTF?

Anything anyone says at this point is pure speculation.

leeroy300

Reaction score
what else can you do but sit and speculate after how many months of waiting for a second anouncement.....

Wayne007

Reaction score
I agree but I would like it to be resolved one way or another so that I don't worry every time I want to take a trip and it would be nice to know where we stand so I can sleep at night. Like the other gentleman said, I don't want another truck, I just want this one to be dependable.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Another example from a just announced 2020 Chevrolet Traverse recall:

The fuel pump assemblies in these vehicles may have been produced with burrs inside the mixing tube that could prevent the transfer of fuel from the secondary side of the fuel tank to the primary side, which could obstruct fuel flow to the engine. At low fuel levels, the engine may not receive adequate fuel and the vehicle may unexpectedly stall. A vehicle stall without warning could increase the risk of a crash, especially at high speeds.

At this point NHTSA should issue a "non-recall". Just announce to the world that

2019-2020 RAM 2500/3500/4500/5500 vehicles with 6.7L Cummins diesel engines could experience fuel system failure far worse than any other recently recalled vehicle. Stellantis has decided to not give a $#%! and focus on cranking out 2021/2022 models with fixed pumps because they already got the other suckers money and need more. Several people mad about the issue have traded in or sold their vehicles and replaced them with other Stellantis products, so the company has not seen a negative impact and will continue to give no $%#@s. As part of this non-recall, RAMCares will be instructed by the NHTSA to rename their online PR division RAMDGAF

blbrown

Reaction score
I will be going back to Ford if Ram doesn't address the CP4 soon!

alangley

Reaction score
Sold my 19 Ram 3500 this week, the potential long term $10k plus cost exposure due a CP4 failure post warranty was definitely a contributing factor for me to get out the 2019 Ram. Let alone being out of a vehicle for months while it gets repaired.
Gonna wait until at least July, but if you are a 19-20 owner, I’ve already tested the waters on mine (I’m in Canada mind you) but have been offered more than I paid brand new in 2019. If you really want out, now’s the time. For me I look at it like this, you’re not really getting ahead because up here anyway 21’s are going for almost full MSRP factor in 11% tax where I am, it’s a costly upgrade.

camojimmy

Reaction score
Gonna wait until at least July, but if you are a 19-20 owner, I’ve already tested the waters on mine (I’m in Canada mind you) but have been offered more than I paid brand new in 2019. If you really want out, now’s the time. For me I look at it like this, you’re not really getting ahead because up here anyway 21’s are going for almost full MSRP factor in 11% tax where I am, it’s a costly upgrade.

I agree, pretty much the same thing for me. I looked in alberta and everything is selling for 5K off MSRP. Didn't make much sense.

Hopefully a repair recall announcement comes very soon and replacement with the ISB21.

Bandit400

Reaction score

Sold my 19 Ram 3500 this week, the potential long term $10k plus cost exposure due a CP4 failure post warranty was definitely a contributing factor for me to get out the 2019 Ram. Let alone being out of a vehicle for months while it gets repaired.

I am fortunate that I am also trading up to a RAM 5500 Cab and Chassis config to support a large truck camper configuration. I have time to wait for the 2022 factory order so that should avoid most of the dealer lot supply issues that are resulting in MSRP markup or little discount. I also traded it in for $6k plus more than I paid for the 2019 about a year ago so it was a no brainier decision for me.

Users who are viewing this thread