Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Mine was built 10/20 and it is a 2020. It has a cp4.2.

Some were still 2020 but some orders were 21 it’s difficult to understand how this all works. Some were to fill dealers and others were ordered trucks that were pushed early.

g00fy

Reaction score
Got a call back

They will not be swapping CP3s into 19-20 trucks. They will only do that if it fails and the new TSB or Service notifications suggest a new pump and as they told me “specifically suggests replacement to a CP3.” If it doesn’t say that then they would swap with the same pump on it now.

So, wait til she goes and hope it doesn’t is the summary.
If this is true, than...
4rofe6.jpg

M109R

Reaction score
Yes I know a few people have had problems with the CP4 but there are many Fords and GM (yes a few have had problems as well) with the same pump and have hundred of thousands miles on them. The new cp3 from what I understand has to be overdriven 1.5 so time will tell how it holds up to being over driven.

Satx_Cummins

Reaction score
New to the Forum, long time member on the Cummins Forum. I will be following this closely. My truck which is a 2020 Ram Limited 3500 DRW HO Aisin, stickered for about $90k and this is worrying me. I have the updated single dimple CP4 pump and hope it holds up. If FCA doesn't voluntarily swap the pump to CP3 then I will be eventually swapping it on my own. My 4th gen was deleted and tuned, and was holding off deleting this truck to keep the warranty intact. FCA has always taken care of me, let's see if they follow through on this truck. Thanks for all the updates and information sharing, appreciate it guys.

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Yes I know a few people have had problems with the CP4 but there are many Fords and GM (yes a few have had problems as well) with the same pump and have hundred of thousands miles on them. The new cp3 from what I understand has to be overdriven 1.5 so time will tell how it holds up to being over driven.

From what I have seen you are right on that they are speeding up the pump to create a higher displacement to make the same fuel pressure it also looks to be a bigger cam lobe so it would look to be like a stroker pump. I just ordered a pump alone to see it and compare to an 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scooterpilot

Reaction score
Is the CP3 being overdriven on any other Cummins engines?

Cummins3

Reaction score
Is the aftearket cp3 like the ones from II or SS overdriven/stokeier too??

In your opinions which cp3 would you think are more reliable. The built aftermarket or new factory cp3 on these new trucks?

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Is the aftearket cp3 like the ones from II or SS overdriven/stokeier too??

In your opinions which cp3 would you think are more reliable. The built aftermarket or new factory cp3 on these new trucks?

The II pump has a 10mm internal so it doesn’t have to be over driven. I can’t speak to S&S.

Relentless

Reaction score
I believe 9/20 or even 8/20 which technically is 21 model year I have a 9/20 witch a cp3 or whatever they are calling it now.

From what I've gathered, they started putting the newer design CP4 with the larger "dimple" on vehicles built 8/20, and by 9/20 they all had the redesigned pump

The build date on mine is 8/20 and has the newer redesigned CP4 with the large "dimple"

I've read a few that have 8/20 build dates that don't have the newer design, but haven't seen any with 9/20 or newer that didn't

Chrisminx

Reaction score
From what I've gathered, they started putting the newer design CP4 with the larger "dimple" on vehicles built 8/20, and by 9/20 they all had the redesigned pump

The build date on mine is 8/20 and has the newer redesigned CP4 with the large "dimple"

I've read a few that have 8/20 build dates that don't have the newer design, but haven't seen any with 9/20 or newer that didn't
My 2020 was built in October. It has the large dimple. ALL 2020s have the CP4. Any new ram with the new CP3 is labeled as a 2021.

Here is my pump:

20201226_173008.jpg

g00fy

Reaction score
I was doing a little reading on aftermarket "disaster prevention kits" that have been released for the Ford's and Chevy's that basically just reroute the fuel used to lubricate the cp4 back through filters instead of sending it up stream into the high pressure system. Some kits just reroute it back to the tank to go through the factory filters again, but there's another out there that uses it's own serviceable filter right off the pump.

If ram isn't going to swap out the pumps on the 19-20's they could at least add something like this to the system as a lower cost TSB that would protect the rest of the fuel system if the cp4 does fail. A cp4 failure wouldn't be near as big of a deal if it didn't take out the rest of the fuel system since it would be much less expensive and require much less down time. I would accept something like this from ram as a reasonable compromise that would make me a lot less nervous about the cp4 failing.

Here's the Ford kit that I found: https://www.spemotorsport.com/products/spe-motorsport-6-7l-powerstroke-disaster-prevention-kit

jared43758

Reaction score
I haven’t found any kits made yet for the ram cp4 and S&S told me they had no plans of making one. Just a cp3 conversion

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
13,000 views in one week on one of many forums and platforms, and still no word from RamCares or FCA.

This issue isn't going away. We're not going to stop being loud about it. Quit being corporate P words, have some damn honor and at least address your "most loyal heavy duty" customers. Isn't that what you've been calling us to sell your time bomb 2020s? The ads are still up all over FB.

Earn that loyalty. Either do something about this or hang us out to dry, it is what it is, but at least issue a damn statement.

2Many12Valves

Reaction score
As I've come to learn their silence means they will be doing nothing about it.... Sad
I wouldn’t say that. Remember we didn’t find out about the CP3 pump until they started showing up on the lot.
with social media and forms like this I don’t think they can afford to do nothing. But only time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread