Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

Admin

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I sent an email to TFLTruck about the change to the different pump in 21, the last minute revised dimple pump, the whole saga. Hoping they report on it. Bickering on a forum/FB doesn't have the same pull as national media exposure.

I think at the very least, we would all just like a response or comment from FCA on the whole debacle.

Already done: https://www.hdrams.com/ram-moves-away-from-the-cp4-2-injection-pump-for-2021/ 40,000 views on that in less than 24 hours.

Also goes up on MoparInsiders today.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@Brutal_HO This maybe something to pin for all members to see.

TSB: S2014000002

If you want to see all manufacture communication click on the link below and if you go back to 9/17/2020 you will find it.

If you want to post TSB with brief descriptions, there's a sub-forum here for that.

Forum:

sticky TSB thread:

Last edited:

camojimmy

Reaction score
Well I did my part.
Called the number and they said they would get back to me today on the future outlook of this.

Now take that with a grain of salt, but we will see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't called yet. Any tips on what you said to escalate the issue and voice your concern?. You can message me if you prefer.

Thanks

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I haven't heard back from them called yesterday.... What did you say to them when they answered phone???

I called them and was honest with them.

My dealer and I have discussed this at detail. They told me to keep an ear out and get approval from FCA when a fix or new pump is released and they will do the work on it in order to prevent a major failure in the future.

In the mean time I am using fuel additive they suggested and driving the truck because they can fix it until they have approval or it fails.

So I’m doing what they suggested but would like to get the new pump as they suggested as well through a means that is conducive with FCA and my dealer.

So for now that’s where it is. I anticipate nothing to happen but between the TSB, STAR and dealer history I could be surprised. Either way my industrial pump is set to arrive early January so she will be going under the knife it’s just a matter of which pump (mine or theirs) and who will do the work (Me or them).

I’ll keep you posted but I started on this to be another needle in the stack of needles of this hay stack but maybe it will help move the problem space closer to an outcome.

They did tell me they have been hearing a lot of this and the customer service rep was familiar with the CP3 which is interesting that the level of detail is at the first snd second levels of the answering service.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I called them and was honest with them.

My dealer and I have discussed this at detail. They told me to keep an ear out and get approval from FCA when a fix or new pump is released and they will do the work on it in order to prevent a major failure in the future.

In the mean time I am using fuel additive they suggested and driving the truck because they can fix it until they have approval or it fails.

So I’m doing what they suggested but would like to get the new pump as they suggested as well through a means that is conducive with FCA and my dealer.

So for now that’s where it is. I anticipate nothing to happen but between the TSB, STAR and dealer history I could be surprised. Either way my industrial pump is set to arrive early January so she will be going under the knife it’s just a matter of which pump (mine or theirs) and who will do the work (Me or them).

I’ll keep you posted but I started on this to be another needle in the stack of needles of this hay stack but maybe it will help move the problem space closer to an outcome.

They did tell me they have been hearing a lot of this and the customer service rep was familiar with the CP3 which is interesting that the level of detail is at the first snd second levels of the answering service.

This is suggestive: "keep an ear out and get approval from FCA when a fix or new pump is released" RAM CS told you that?

"In the mean time I am using fuel additive they suggested" Who suggested? RAM? The dealer? Was it Power Service Diesel Kleen? That is very surprising since Net rumors are that they frown heavily on additive usage as it's one of the avenues they use to claim "cOnTaMinAteD fUeL" so they can void.

I would try to get everything you can in writing about the additive stuff. This issue is so all over the map with people who get taken care of easily, people who get denied, service techs with old information...etc. There are RAM dealers still putting 15W-40 in peoples 4.5 Gens. I'd posit that the people that frequent this forum are on the average more informed about this and other issues than your garden variety service advisor or tech.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I called. Gave my VIN. Clerk said no recalls. I said how about TSB or STAR bulletons or references to my 2020 RAM 3500 CP4.2 pump. He repeated, no recallsfor my truck. If it breaks, it is covered under warranty.

No case number offerred. No nothing because I have not had an issue.

mostcorey95

Reaction score
I called. Gave my VIN. Clerk said no recalls. I said how about TSB or STAR bulletons or references to my 2020 RAM 3500 CP4.2 pump. He repeated, no recallsfor my truck. If it breaks, it is covered under warranty.

No case number offerred. No nothing because I have not had an issue.

I made a post in the tsb section about a tsb for it.

Cummins3

Reaction score
What does this mean a tsb will be coming if and only if they find metal in fuel or they doing a recall/tsb for all thouse year truck??

mostcorey95

Reaction score
What does this mean a tsb will be coming if and only if they find metal in fuel or they doing a recall/tsb for all thouse year truck??

That’s the only tsb out as of now for fuel systems.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Who retains fuels receipts unless one needs them for taxes? And then a credit card statement suffices.

So if there is not a URL that proves something occurred, it never happened?

I have all receipts, and to top that, I only use my three gas cards to guarantee I have proof. If FCA denies warranty, that will be the end of Ram for me. I wouldn't even own the 2019 if I haven't had so many issues with my 2007 C&C after an ECM update in 2009. It surged so bad during regen that I had to go to a SMF and DD3250 clutch after slipping the stock clutch. Then the G56 overheating causing me to develop a cooling system with pump and filter. I also had to go to EFILive with EPA intact, to try to calm down the surging which worked well for me. I'll just have to sell the 5ver and use the wife's Toyota Highlander to tow the new Pontoon boat, if they deny warranty.

I'm 1.25 years into the 5 year warranty on my 2019. There will probably be a recall by then or we'll know we are on our own during the warranty period. I only have 14K miles, so its doubtful it will go past 100K miles within that time. If it does go within the warranty period, FCA should cover the replacement, which by then might be the CP3.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score

This is merely a directive to service techs on how to proceed AFTER a CP4 has shat the proverbial bed. You'll note the very first step is take a fuel sample. Probably checking for water (DEF is also mostly water) or gasoline, but maybe additivies as well.

As much as we'd like to think they are moving in the right direction with this issue, until they (FCA) make a statement I have to default to mistrust, unfortunately.

I wouldn't mention anything about additives here or anywhere online without written advisory from a dealer or FCA. Believe me they have eyes out there too. Just check the "Users who are viewing this thread" space below.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
This is suggestive: "keep an ear out and get approval from FCA when a fix or new pump is released" RAM CS told you that?

"In the mean time I am using fuel additive they suggested" Who suggested? RAM? The dealer? Was it Power Service Diesel Kleen? That is very surprising since Net rumors are that they frown heavily on additive usage as it's one of the avenues they use to claim "cOnTaMinAteD fUeL" so they can void.

I would try to get everything you can in writing about the additive stuff. This issue is so all over the map with people who get taken care of easily, people who get denied, service techs with old information...etc. There are RAM dealers still putting 15W-40 in peoples 4.5 Gens. I'd posit that the people that frequent this forum are on the average more informed about this and other issues than your garden variety service advisor or tech.

Dealer told me that (both keep an ear out and additive)
-They said additive but didn’t suggest a specific one. As a result I see it as free to use what they suggested as just additive in general which is hotshot secret and LX4, now document in the case apparently.

My dealer doesn’t know what to do but I’m taking their words and applying them to a “why”. Whether or not FCA sees it that way is yet to be seen. They (CS) agreed and understood about the swap out logic to prevent future damage but never the less that might not mean anything.

For those who are looking for answers I don’t have any yet. This will be a hot button issue so I was hesitant to post but none the less I’ll keep ya posted.

If you’re hopeful I would suggest being cautiously optimistic. I still am unsure what this will lead to.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I also called Ram Customer care today and voiced my concern and frustration as to why they did not put in a CP3 in my truck in October 2020 for my second Cp4 pump replacement as 2 months later 2021 MY trucks would show up with a CP3 pump. Instead they replaced the second pump with the symmetrical pump. Was given a case number and I asked for a replacement for a 2021 MY truck as my truck has been out of service for CP4 pump replacements since new for 63 days in 1 year of ownership.

Last edited:

MegaDave

Reaction score
This has me pretty concerned with my 19 Cummins. It is just hard to wrap my head around this not being covered by a warranty. Are there any incidents where people on here have been successful in having the warranty cover the repairs?

900 miles and warranty is denied? That is crazy. They cannot use contaminated fuel as an excuse for a failed design. At least they shouldn’t. Let’s make this right Ram. It would be nice to have a replacement program to the CP3. Even if the customer chipped in some.....

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Got a call back

They will not be swapping CP3s into 19-20 trucks. They will only do that if it fails and the new TSB or Service notifications suggest a new pump and as they told me “specifically suggests replacement to a CP3.” If it doesn’t say that then they would swap with the same pump on it now.

So, wait til she goes and hope it doesn’t is the summary.

Can’t wait for my industrial injection pump to arrive lol. This dealer stuff is frustrating at best and as always, disappointing.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Let's see nordic I hope ur right but wrong about rest of us ticking bombs not getting a cp3 unless it goes under warranty. My luck as well as. Others it'll granaded right outside of warentee...

Why did u go with ii over ss???

dgstandard

Reaction score
Does installing the Industrial injection pump negate warranty? If it doesn't, I am interested.

It is a shame as I bought my truck for peace of mind with respect to reliability i.e. Cummins reputation/Truck of the Year award etc.

Owning this truck now gives me great concern as having it shut off and the resulting loss of control while I am driving with my family is more than an inconvenience. At this point I consider my truck a deathtrap as it sits now and it should stay parked.

Users who are viewing this thread