Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I use the app fuelly and record mileage location amount pump number and a picture of the receipt and pump. So I have the record.

Same here.

I don't always get a pic of the [pump, but do attach the receipt to the record. same for DEF purchase and fill.

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Same here.

I don't always get a pic of the [pump, but do attach the receipt to the record. same for DEF purchase and fill.

Yeah it’s simple and makes it easier in case the receipts gets lost or ruined. It also does use go’s to mark it when you add a fill up

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Ever wonder what else that free app is doing?

It’s a paid version and I have location services denied so there’s no go’s for the app that’s why I take extra pictures. I don’t use any location services. They are all disabled and never on. I was a army airborne special forces and learned all about them and what they are used for. Some leave it on but I never do. Just thought I’d tell people what it can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I agree about RAMs opportunity to shine. I was life long GM and my buddy was life long Ford. We both have 2020 RAMs sitting in the driveway now. We figured we were buying the Cummins reliability, and taking a chance on the Dodge/RAM shady reputation (from outside looking in). Ironic part of it all is the RAM part of the truck has been solid. Well built, great features, interior...all that. The chincy part turns out to be something on the engine, which is what draws most diesel buyers who switch (regardless of who's call it was to use it).

Time will tell. They took a few good steps in trying to revise, then ditching the pump for the new customers and that's a very good thing. Don't think for a minute that the lawyers fighting CP4 cases both class action and individual won't use this RAM debacle as evidence in their cases. FCA has a lot of good reasons to make it right. Ignoring it may cost more in the long run especially if their asym pump was to quit half way down the Ike hauling a load and someone got hurt.

Keep the faith and if they DO take care of 19-20s, be prepared to scream it from the roof tops that they did the right thing.

g00fy

Reaction score
I'm able to fill up at the 500 gallon vessel where i work, I don't get receipts because there's no meter on the pump. The vessel has a goldenrod Water separator and standard filter on it that gets changes annually. I suppose if push came to shove I have access to the receipts for when the vessel gets filled if i ever had a problem.

When i take road trip though I do hold onto the receipts from all the truck stops i hit for a few weeks after the trip just in case.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I agree about RAMs opportunity to shine. I was life long GM and my buddy was life long Ford. We both have 2020 RAMs sitting in the driveway now. We figured we were buying the Cummins reliability, and taking a chance on the Dodge/RAM shady reputation (from outside looking in). Ironic part of it all is the RAM part of the truck has been solid. Well built, great features, interior...all that. The chincy part turns out to be something on the engine, which is what draws most diesel buyers who switch (regardless of who's call it was to use it).

Time will tell. They took a few good steps in trying to revise, then ditching the pump for the new customers and that's a very good thing. Don't think for a minute that the lawyers fighting CP4 cases both class action and individual won't use this RAM debacle as evidence in their cases. FCA has a lot of good reasons to make it right. Ignoring it may cost more in the long run especially if their asym pump was to quit half way down the Ike hauling a load and someone got hurt.

Keep the faith and if they DO take care of 19-20s, be prepared to scream it from the roof tops that they did the right thing.
This is my second Cummins truck. First one I put 125k on it with only minor recall issues. I am hoping for the same reliability on this truck. I am considering ordering a new truck, in a custom color, so we will see.

Cummins3

Reaction score

This all might b a big plot to take down gm and ford with all those class action lawsuits... If ram made right of us with the 19-20. it's admitting the cp4 is **** and all lawyers for gm and ford lawsuits will have a field day with it and ram comes out on top..... Let's hope this is somewhat true...

Admin

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just heard back from my PR rep at RAM. Confirmed directly from them that they did change the pump for 2021 and he's just checking for me now to see if the change applies to the HO as well since we have only seen the standard output so far.

Looks like I really did buy my truck a few months too early, the funny thing is I factory-ordered one when it looked like I wasn't getting this one and that factory order got switched to a 21 and is just about to be built lol.

WXman

Reaction score
That is the one major difference between the ecodiesel and the HD trucks, unless they recently changed ecodiesel truck system has only one fuel fuel filter, located near the tank like our rear one. Worse, in my case, unbelievable at it seems, that particular truck had no WIF sensor on or near the filter. I had no advance warning, and i was way under recommended maintenance interval in the owner manual.

I too have started to change fuel filters at every oil change on my 2020 truck, just went thru my first change recently, just not worth the risk otherwise in my opinion.

For 2020, the Gen 3 EcoDiesel uses the same fuel filter as the Cummins. However, there is only the single frame mounted filter. The second filter at the tank isn't present on the VM engines like on the Cummins engines.

The owners manual states that the filter must be changed every other oil change. So, figure every 15-20k miles.

g00fy

Reaction score
I assume FCA had to get clearance from the EPA to switch back to the CP3 because of emissions, I really wonder what reason they gave the EPA for this request.

diablo82

Reaction score
I assume FCA had to get clearance from the EPA to switch back to the CP3 because of emissions, I really wonder what reason they gave the EPA for this request.
REASON: Some CP4 go "KABOOM"!!!

Wileykid

Reaction score
Would the EPA even care, all they care is what is coming out of the engine. It's a fuel pump feeding only the engine. I would think changing it would not make a difference. It is feeding the same amount of fuel to the engine as the old pump.

g00fy

Reaction score
Would the EPA even care, all they care is what is coming out of the engine. It's a fuel pump feeding only the engine. I would think changing it would not make a difference. It is feeding the same amount of fuel to the engine as the old pump.
Back during the whole EPA investigation over the Ecodiesel emissions system, e-mails between FCA and the EPA became public information as part of the court case / investigation. Some members combed through the e-mails and found an e-mail exchange between FCA & EPA asking permission to change the Oil spec on the ecodiesel from 5w-30Euro to standard 5w-40 Rotella to try and remedy the grenading bottom ends on the truck. And when that didn't work they e-mailed EPA again asking if they could change the calibration of the truck to take stress off the bottom end.

The EPA is heavily involved with everything in a diesel motor.

ram3500md

Reaction score
So if I'm looking at a heavily discounted 20, do I look at build date to see if it has the updated CP4 and how much better is that vs. the prior? Sounds like then it's about keeping gas tank above 1/8, new fuel filters every oil change, fill up documentation and hope for recall/tsb?

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
So if I'm looking at a heavily discounted 20, do I look at build date to see if it has the updated CP4 and how much better is that vs. the prior? Sounds like then it's about keeping gas tank above 1/8, new fuel filters every oil change, fill up documentation and hope for recall/tsb?

Are you hard up for a truck? 12% off MSRP is the Net accepted norm pretty much all year long. Difference being now that since RAM is promoting it the dealer just gives it to you without the annoying haggle.

I love my RAM and am not here to tarnish the brand but I wouldn't be caught dead buying a 2020 without further developments in whether there will be a TSB/Recall for them.

If you just can't wait, build dates July and after should have the the revised symmetrical cam CP4. Otherwise see here for the "dimple":

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Maybe if its not recalled, FCA will offer a cp3 kit as a dealer installed upgrade. Hopefully maintaining the factory warranty for some piece of mind. Steeply discounted would be best but if I have to swap I might prefer a FCA authorized system?

Users who are viewing this thread