Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Fuel pump failure at 7200 miles and 6 months into ownership of my 2020 Ram 2500.

clawdog79

Reaction score
Need advice 2019 2500 Limited w/ 6.7 Cummins

Here is a post from just a few days ago regarding a CP4 failure. Throughout various forums and Youtube I learn about a new failure every couple of weeks or so.

I’d be willing to bet the actual number of failures are less than 10% but still enough to be alarming and indicate a problem in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sstoner911

Reaction score

Here is a post from just a few days ago regarding a CP4 failure. Throughout various forums and Youtube I learn about a new failure every couple of weeks or so.

I’d be willing to bet the actual number of failures are less than 10% but still enough to be alarming and indicate a problem in my opinion

I searched CP4 failure on youtube...nothing to get excited about.. a lot of "talk" on how to maybe prevent it it more than actual people with failures.

I mean search DPF failures....let me know how you feel about it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

How many 19-20 CTD's sold?

How many failures get posted online? <shrugs>

Applying the 80/20 rule, let's say 20% of truck owners with a failed CP4 are posting online. For every one posting, there are 3-4 more that don't use social media or online forums. Discounting miles/hours, the failures are probably something more like 104 weeks @5 per week at most? 520 trucks?

520/236,592. That's 0.22%

Maybe my math is wrong, I'm all ears.

That said, 520 trucks failing @$10K per (cost) is costing FCA $5.2M every 2 years only while under warranty. Replacing the pumps on 236,592 trucks costs what, $3k/each? That's $710M

Say it's 10x that or 5,200 trucks. That's a 2.2% failure. THAT might get them to do something.

What we can't estimate are the intangible costs to lost sales now and in future.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
What we can't estimate are the intangible costs to lost sales now and in future.

And law suits, lemon law press coverage, lost wages due to units being work trucks.

The liability can approach $1B faster than one would imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread