Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could Shocks be worn already?

Rammer

Reaction score
Hi everyone:
I recently traded my 2017 1500 for a 2019 2500. I really enjoyed the 2017 1500 Ecodiesel, but it was under-rated to tow my 35 ft trailer weighing approx 9000 lbs loaded, so I traded up to the 2500 with Cummins. I haven't driven the new vehicle too much yet, but what I'm finding is that it drives nicely on smooth highways, but on county roads with humps and bumps (we live just off of a concession road) the ride is just awful - is jostles and bounces terribly. Is that just the way it is with a solid front axle, or is there another reason? Could my shocks possibly be worn out already? The truck has 62,000 Km (approx 40K miles). I'd appreciate some insight and recommendations from some of you who are more experienced HD drivers.
Thanks,

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
From what I've been able to gather, most shocks are good for about 50k.... you may be due.

Rammer

Reaction score
From what I've been able to gather, most shocks are good for about 50k.... you may be due.
That’s what I was thinking. Would that account for the poor ride? I’m hoping with new shocks that the truck will ride more comfortably over rough roads

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I replaced the factory shocks on my 2019 2500 at around 8000miles just because I wanted to upgrade.

Upon removal of the old shocks, I found one of the rear shocks was leaking already.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hi everyone:
I recently traded my 2017 1500 for a 2019 2500. I really enjoyed the 2017 1500 Ecodiesel, but it was under-rated to tow my 35 ft trailer weighing approx 9000 lbs loaded, so I traded up to the 2500 with Cummins. I haven't driven the new vehicle too much yet, but what I'm finding is that it drives nicely on smooth highways, but on county roads with humps and bumps (we live just off of a concession road) the ride is just awful - is jostles and bounces terribly. Is that just the way it is with a solid front axle, or is there another reason? Could my shocks possibly be worn out already? The truck has 62,000 Km (approx 40K miles). I'd appreciate some insight and recommendations from some of you who are more experienced HD drivers.
Thanks,
Solid front axle is the biggest factor try pulling your sway bar links see if it im proves then you know you may want to remove the sway bar or find an aftermaket one

Buppies

Reaction score
Factory bags in rear what shocks would you replace them with 2019 diesel 4wd? Not trying to hijack thread might be pertinent

Bob_ag

Reaction score
I think the sway bar is a big culprit. Anything uneven on the road has a pretty dramatic feel in the cab. I plan to replace mine and the shocks in the near future as the stock ones are pretty garbage as well.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Wish I had bookmarked the conversation, but I think someone simply replaced the sway bar and stated it was a marked improvement going over any uneven surfaces.

NewRamGuy

Reaction score
Factory bags in rear what shocks would you replace them with 2019 diesel 4wd? Not trying to hijack thread might be pertinent
Bilstein 4600 24-302302 Specifically for trucks with rear air leveling suspension. PN# 24-302289 for the front. Go ahead and do both.

Bob_ag

Reaction score
I just replaced my rear shocks at 36k miles with some Thuren Fox 2.0's. I'm not sure if the rear shocks were wore out or they were just that bad (no leaks seen), but the difference in just being able to compress the shocks by hand was literally night and day. As far as driving, I live off a county road and definitely can tell a difference for the better. Still waiting on the fronts to come in.

I also have my tires set to 45F,40R on Cooper St MAXX and that made a huge difference even with the stock shocks. It is annoying having to air up and air down though depending on load, so I may air back up once all four shocks are installed and see how it goes.

Razzman

Reaction score
At 4K mileage I did a Thuren torsion sway bar, front 1" lift coils and fox shocks all around. Rides almost as good as my 1500 did. Sway bar makes the most difference IMO.

1996dram

Reaction score
2021 Ram 3500HO rear right shock blown after 14,000 road miles.. oil puddle on garage floor... dealer parts guy says might be months before he can get a replacement....

NewRamGuy

Reaction score
Wish I had bookmarked the conversation, but I think someone simply replaced the sway bar and stated it was a marked improvement going over any uneven surfaces.
I was surprised but my 3500 did not come with a rear sway bar. After installing a Hellwig aftermarket anti sway on my F-250 (also came w/o a factory sway bar) I noticed the steering seemed very ‘twitchy’ for the lack of a better way to describe it. I contacted Hellwig directly and was told the electronic anti-sway control on the truck was fighting against the physical bar I had installed. Their simple solution: turn off the electronic anti sway. Problem solved. Not sure if this scenario fits anyone else’s issue but I thought I’d mention it

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
2021 Ram 3500HO rear right shock blown after 14,000 road miles.. oil puddle on garage floor... dealer parts guy says might be months before he can get a replacement....
I’d give you my old ones but they were leaking too lol

1996dram

Reaction score
Bilsteins on my '96 lasted a over 10 years... That's the plan going forward.....

wpgram

Reaction score
I Just did the shocks in my truck at 28,000 KM and all four factory shocks would barely rebound once fully compressed. haven't taked the dealer yet but i will be!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I don't expect them to be worn out yet....
You said you just “did shocks” means you replaced them, right? You replaced them not knowing they were bad? No harm done. Chuck em and move on. You already put new shocks on, dealer can’t do much about that. I guess if you want to drive up to the dealer and wait a while just to complain go for it

wpgram

Reaction score
You said you just “did shocks” means you replaced them, right? You replaced them not knowing they were bad? No harm done. Chuck em and move on. You already put new shocks on, dealer can’t do much about that. I guess if you want to drive up to the dealer and wait a while just to complain go for it
I don't recall asking for your opinion and what you are talking about has nothing to do with the original posters question.
Yes i changed my shocks and i put thuren spring in. No i didn't know they were bad.
I have a good relationship with my dealer and they will do something about it so thanks for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread