Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Console safe warning

Pronto

Reaction score
If you are installing a console safe, be aware that affixed on the other side of the bottom of your console is a wire harness. I put a console safe in my truck and one of the self tapping screws that I put through the bottom of the console hit that wire harness squarely. The end result is that is caused me some electrical issues that I took my truck in for, and now it's costing me a good amount of labor charges getting it diagnosed and repaired.

What I recommend and what I would probably do if I had a do-over on this would be not to use the self tapping screws. Instead, I would carefully drill out a pilot hole without punching through and then probe the hole to make sure that wire bundle is not in close proximity.

After seeing my console out of my truck and what the underside of it looks like, I'd say the best way to install a console safe would be to remove your console and then bolt the safe to a backing plate. If you're willing to put in that much effort, it'd be a lot stronger and you could avoid all issues with the wire harness.

slvrsix7

Reaction score
I have a Lock'er Down vault in the center console of my 2021 Ram 3500 Laramie w/ bucket seats and had no issues. My vault screwed in into the sides.

Pronto

Reaction score
My is a Lock'r Down too but it's the low profile model for the Longhorn. It has screws into the bottom and back. It wouldn't surprise me if they've changed the design though.

slvrsix7

Reaction score
The Limited does use a different model. Hopefully they investigated it once you told them about this issue.

Bearman95

Reaction score
I have a lockerdown, for my 2021 longhorn 2500. It’s has screws that go in the sides and back. I put a Tuffy in my 2020 Laramie 1500 and it screwed into the bottom of the console. No problems with either though:

Pronto

Reaction score
I have a lockerdown, for my 2021 longhorn 2500. It’s has screws that go in the sides and back. I put a Tuffy in my 2020 Laramie 1500 and it screwed into the bottom of the console. No problems with either though:

They must have changed it then. It's just a single wire bundle about a 1/2" in diameter that runs under there so it would be easy to not hit it drilling down. But if you do hit it, it sucks. :(

Bearman95

Reaction score
I guess lockerdown changed it, i’ve only had mine in about two weeks and it Is the Longhorn low-profile, although I wish now that I had just gotten the regular one because I never slide my console Back anyway and this one is very small, not much room in there.

Users who are viewing this thread