Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering trading my 2017 f250 6.2 for 2019 3500 6.4

Cpalf1

Reaction score
Hi first post. Not sure if this is right section to post but here goes! I'm looking to trade my 2017 f250 6.2 in on an brand new 2019 ram 3500 with the 6.4l engine. Has anyone who has come from a Ford to ram able to tell me how ride is comfort wise? I'm 6.2 and spend my work day in my truck so comfortable ride and seats are a must. I'm finding my f250 lariat uncomfortable and was considering downsizing to a f150 but I need to be able to pull my 12,500lb camper and need about 3k of payload.

Any common quirks with the 3500 with 6.4 to watch out for?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Do it you will be happy im sure the rams are very comfy

jadmt

Reaction score
I am surprised you were able to find a new 2019.. hopefully it is deeply discounted. Make sure you look at the door sticker to see what the actual pay load is.

Bcjmill

Reaction score
I switched fr a 2017 f-250 6.7 to a 2019 ram 2500 6.7. I have not regretted it. I think the seats in the ram are more comfortable than my lariat seats. The cabs are a little smaller on the rams but not that big of a difference to make wish I would have kept my Ford. The ride is comparable to the Ford as well. It will not ride like a 1/2 ton but as far as I can tell no better or worse than my Ford rode. Hope this helps. I like the interior on the ram way more.

Cpalf1

Reaction score
I am surprised you were able to find a new 2019.. hopefully it is deeply discounted. Make sure you look at the door sticker to see what the actual pay load is.
Definitely will look at sticker. Dealership is few hours away from me so can't view for a few days but not overly concerned as my 3/4 ton gas job has just under 3k lbs payload I'm quite confident t moving to a 1ton gasser will be at least equivalent if not more.

Is the vehicle Im considering, having a hard time finding new trucks with any of the comforts i like for under 70k!
I switched fr a 2017 f-250 6.7 to a 2019 ram 2500 6.7. I have not regretted it. I think the seats in the ram are more comfortable than my lariat seats. The cabs are a little smaller on the rams but not that big of a difference to make wish I would have kept my Ford. The ride is comparable to the Ford as well. It will not ride like a 1/2 ton but as far as I can tell no better or worse than my Ford rode. Hope this helps. I like the interior on the ram way more.
Thanks for input, I know for me to expect a 1/2 ton ride out of a 1ton is asking too much just hope its at least equivalent or slightly better than my 17 f250!

Bcjmill

Reaction score
It's at the least equivalent to my f250. No worse. I put fox 2.0s on the f250 but haven't done anything to the ram so far still stock shocks and tire for now.

Wildwoods

Reaction score
My son has a 2018 RAM 2500 cummins megacab with 6.4 bed bed length and it rides NICE. Quite too. I test drove the 2020 3500 cummins crewcab w/8' bed dually (no air suspension) last month and it was more stout for sure but not what I would consider a bad ride. Especially when it get's loaded I'm told. You could feel the road tar crack seal stripes a little more but normal road bumps weren't that bad. It was a limited edition so the seats may have had an impact on the perception of ride as well. The main reason I didn't buy it is it had the CP4 (2019 and 2020 yr) series fuel pump. I also wanted the 50gal fuel tank and air suspension. Thus I ordered a 2021 RAM 3500 Limited Crewcab, Cummins HO dually that went back to the reliable CP-3, with all the accessories and features I really wanted. If you get the 2019 3500 you can always do a CP-3 conversion for peace of mind.

Wildwoods

Reaction score
My bad, you're talking gas, not diesel. I've got diesel on the brain these days. Forget what I said earlier...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you sat in one? Many over 6' complain of limited headroom. If you have along upper torso it could be an issue, particularly if it has a sunroof.

Cpalf1

Reaction score
Have you sat in one? Many over 6' complain of limited headroom. If you have along upper torso it could be an issue, particularly if it has a sunroof.
I haven't had a chance yet, but thats good to know. This particular unit doesn't have sunroof which is fin as I dont care for them at all!

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
If ride is your main concern than the 2500 Ram is cooked to order for you. Rides on coils in the rear instead of leafs.

With my factory "off road" :rolleyes: Bilsteins on garbage factory tires the ride doesn't seem any different than the Silverado 1500 I had and thats a good thing considering it weighs 2,000lbs more and has a straight axle in the front instead of IFS.

vipers1

Reaction score
Hi first post. Not sure if this is right section to post but here goes! I'm looking to trade my 2017 f250 6.2 in on an brand new 2019 ram 3500 with the 6.4l engine. Has anyone who has come from a Ford to ram able to tell me how ride is comfort wise? I'm 6.2 and spend my work day in my truck so comfortable ride and seats are a must. I'm finding my f250 lariat uncomfortable and was considering downsizing to a f150 but I need to be able to pull my 12,500lb camper and need about 3k of payload.

I have a 17' 6.2 lariat and have strongly considered the 6.4. I've found throughout about one dozen test drives that the ram has less steering wheel feedback and a more stable feel, like less of a bump steer feel. Ram seems to Generally have a smoother ride on 3/4 tons but both brands in one tons I find to be a bit stiff and not much of a ride difference ford v ram. 18" wheels help smooth out the ride compared to 20" for any model or configuration I drove and payload package options can make a noticeable difference ie camper package, plow prep package etc . I would give ram the win for their vinyl, cloth and Laramie leather comfort vs fords comparable options but once you move up to the highest trim levels fords platinum seats takes the win over the Laramie and limited leather in the Ram. Ford has more interior space and more steering wheel adjustability (telescope). I like both trucks... larmine vs lariat I would give the ride comfort and interior comfort a slight edge to ram in most cases but it'll depend on 18's vs 20's and towing/payload options on how the ram would compare to your ford.

FL3500

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance yet, but thats good to know. This particular unit doesn't have sunroof which is fin as I dont care for them at all!
I’ve switched from GMC Sierra 2500 to a 3500 Ram, and I will tell you honest opinion day and night difference. I use mine for work as well and spend good 20-25hrs a week in my truck between meetings and working sites. Its a very rough ride, if you hit a bump or pothole it will make you cringe maybe because I have ram air suspension in it, but I read it supposed to make it ride smoother. Test drive it for good 10-15 miles and take both trucks on a same road.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Go with a 2500. It will have over 3000# payload being gas engine (except a mega cab which is 20-30# under 3000) and it will have at least 14,000# towing - trim and options dependent).
2500 will ride smoother comparing to a 3500.
However comparing a 2019+ 3500 to a pre 2019 models, the newer RAMS are a big improvement in ride comfort so you should feel fine even with a 3500 series.
IMPORTANT!!! Remember to air down your tires when you're not towing. They all come from a factory pumped up to 80PSI rear AND front and they they ride rough. I think I keep mine at 60 front (I have an HO diesel so the front end is heavy) and 55 rear - huge difference in a ride quality from 80 PSI all around!

RainDesert

Reaction score
I went from a 2017 f250 6.2 to a 2019 2500 6.4. One of the first things I noticed was how much better the ride was with the coil rears in the 2500. The 2nd best difference was the super smooth 8 spd. Loaded with my skid steer, the Ram squatted less than my previous F-250's also. I'm 6'2" and have no complaints on cab and driver position size. If you can be good with the 2500 payload specs, that will offer you the best ride on a HD truck.

RamGuy84

Reaction score

Have you test driven a 2020 or newer Superduty Lariat or higher trim level?

Users who are viewing this thread