Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting Powered Accessories To Aux Connectors

savaytse66

Reaction score
I will be installing a PowertraxPRO tonneau cover this weekend, and had a question about hooking up this, or any powered accessory. This cover is meant to connect directly to the positive and negative terminals of the battery. Since we have the Aux switches, I thought it might be cleaner to hook it up to the Aux Power Distribution Center under the hood, that way I'd have an extra level of security with the ability to shut off power to the cover if I wanted to.

When hooking this up, am I correct in thinking that I can just hook up the red positive to the Aux Connector, then connect the black negative to a ground? Or alternatively, connect the black to port 3 of the light gray Aux Connector, which is labeled as "Ground Z907"?

Ideally, if someone knows of a way to actually OPERATE the cover from the Aux switches, that would be great! I'm sure it's possible, just not officially supported by Retrax since they provide wireless Key Fobs.

Thanks

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
I will be installing a PowertraxPRO tonneau cover this weekend, and had a question about hooking up this, or any powered accessory. This cover is meant to connect directly to the positive and negative terminals of the battery. Since we have the Aux switches, I thought it might be cleaner to hook it up to the Aux Power Distribution Center under the hood, that way I'd have an extra level of security with the ability to shut off power to the cover if I wanted to.

When hooking this up, am I correct in thinking that I can just hook up the red positive to the Aux Connector, then connect the black negative to a ground? Or alternatively, connect the black to port 3 of the light gray Aux Connector, which is labeled as "Ground Z907"?

Ideally, if someone knows of a way to actually OPERATE the cover from the Aux switches, that would be great! I'm sure it's possible, just not officially supported by Retrax since they provide wireless Key Fobs.

Thanks
I asked my guys who sell them here and they said the only way to open and close is from the remote so I’d think the only advantage of using one of your switches is to cut power, but someone else told me about hooking it up to 5th wheel plug in bed since it’s always hot, and that’s what I did for mine and works great. Search for Retrax Powerpro

regal2800

Reaction score
you can use your aux switches. the ground can go to the aux harness or the truck's groudn, either will work. They did a great job with these aux switches as you can program when the particular aux line gets power or whether is on/off or momentary. I would think for the electric cover you would set it to momentary.

with the exception of super heavy power draws, i dont like connecting anything directly to the battery. The only acc i have attached directly to the battery is my winch. Lights, compressors etc all goes through the aux switches.

Users who are viewing this thread