Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connected Services Expiration

techman

Reaction score
What exactly happens when you let connected services expire? Does the screen display something and do things like the map screen disappear? Or do "updates" just stop and the basic functionality of the UConnect continue to work?

Phil T

Reaction score
We never used any of the useless services when the trial was on. Google maps is much better than the built in navigation. You won't miss anything useful. The price they charge is a complete rip-off.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What exactly happens when you let connected services expire? Does the screen display something and do things like the map screen disappear? Or do "updates" just stop and the basic functionality of the UConnect continue to work?
Its just the features from the app that stop working.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
We never used any of the useless services when the trial was on. Google maps is much better than the built in navigation. You won't miss anything useful. The price they charge is a complete rip-off.
When you have service you are right apple maps/ or google maps is better but if you use your truck in rural areas like i mostly do cell service is hard to come by and the truck GPS still works

DrTron

Reaction score
When you have service you are right apple maps/ or google maps is better but if you use your truck in rural areas like i mostly do cell service is hard to come by and the truck GPS still works
Android Auto (or rather the Google maps application on the phone) has the option to download maps ahead of time for offline use. You obviously won't get traffic updates when you're offline, but the navigation itself works.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Android Auto (or rather the Google maps application on the phone) has the option to download maps ahead of time for offline use. You obviously won't get traffic updates when you're offline, but the navigation itself works.
Only good if you know you wont have service when its a surprise then its not very helpful if you need to find somewhere and you dont have service . Apple maps can do the same

DrTron

Reaction score
Depends, I use that all the time to save cellular data. And if you have the maps for the areas you travel to most, you won't get surprised.

JoeTom83

Reaction score
So does the factory navigation stop working when the RAM Connect expires?

DrTron

Reaction score
So does the factory navigation stop working when the RAM Connect expires?
No. You'll lose the ability to "send" destinations from your phone to the truck's nav system, though.

JoeTom83

Reaction score
No. You'll lose the ability to "send" destinations from your phone to the truck's nav system, though.
Thanks for the clarification. I have a hard time justifiying $259 per year for these services consdering that I haven't had a single OTA update since ownership, and my local dealership wouldn't update my UConnect in-house. I feel like features paid for upfront with the truck should work in full/proper without paying an additional annual cost...

DrTron

Reaction score
I'm guessing at this point but I don't think the updates of Uconnect have anything to do with the connected services, either. From what I gathered, the Uconnect uses your phone's cellular/Wifi connection for the OTA updates.
And no, I don't see any good reason to keep it after the trial ends, either. Just not enough value to justify the expense.

techman

Reaction score
As others have answered my original post, the stuff that "expires" isn't really that critical. It certainly doesn't brick the entire Uconnect system. The Alexa, Tomtom, and remote app stuff doesn't connect anymore that's all. I'm sure you subscription dollars go to funding the AT&T 4G radio subscription. You already pay for your smartphone plan....you don't need another.

I'm fine with using Android auto and in fact that is all I use now. The remote start/locate from the app is clever but nothing I'll use. If I remote start my truck, I want to see it from my window. I don't need it starting/running from a distance that I can't monitor.

ZaTHRaS

Reaction score
Trivial but, I inquired why my "sync time with GPS" was not an option and the response was,
"We're not seeing that your vehicle is equipped with connected service." Though, I do have the fuel and tire pressure like others still.

This is just silly, my 10 & 12 year old vehicles time sync w/gps, they were purchased used, no services needed.
Just read the last sentence of this article. So, FCA will collect data for the gooberment (tin foil hat on!) but, not allow consumer access to free gooberment services.

Again, trivial, I know but, damn...really?

DrTron

Reaction score
That is pretty silly.
Does anyone know if the time is synced any other way? My 2019 didn't have the NAV Uconnect (but probably a GPS antenna in spite of that), and was able to sync the time.
I'd suspect that any digital radio station (including SiriusXM) transmits a time signal.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I'm guessing at this point but I don't think the updates of Uconnect have anything to do with the connected services, either. From what I gathered, the Uconnect uses your phone's cellular/Wifi connection for the OTA updates.
And no, I don't see any good reason to keep it after the trial ends, either. Just not enough value to justify the expense.
OTA updates do not use your phone’s connection. They go through the built in cellular modem that the rest of the connected services use.

DrTron

Reaction score
OTA updates do not use your phone’s connection. They go through the built in cellular modem that the rest of the connected services use.
AFAIK that only provides a data connection if you have a subscription to a cellular provider. As long as the connected service is active, I guess that's the case, but not after.

jsalbre

Reaction score
AFAIK that only provides a data connection if you have a subscription to a cellular provider. As long as the connected service is active, I guess that's the case, but not after.
Yeah, I don't know if they still work without a connected services subscription, though I'd be willing to bet that Stellantis keeps the data connection paid for even when you aren't a subscriber because otherwise they wouldn't be able to do any data collection. The system won't do any updates over your connected cell phone either way though.

Users who are viewing this thread