Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confused...Blind Spot

markmass1966

Reaction score
First post here - so go easy folks.... Currently own 2018 2500 , and looking at new 2021 Laramie 2500 using build sheets and the Ram build website. looks like things changed with packages from 1 and 2 to A and B - and things are listed separately. All stock trucks I am looking at have the older package groups - the Towing Tech had 'Blind Spot & Cross Path Detection' The RAM build site is pretty dire with zero description on each package. There is a separate package now 'Blind Spot with tag trailer & Cross Path Detection' --Is their a difference? Blind spot detection would be nice, and even nicer as i tow a 32' fifth wheel. My assumption (mother of all screw ups) is that the older tow tech package turns off this feature when towing? - thanks all

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
The microchip shortage forced them to add the letter packages in place of the number packages. So if you are looking at trucks that are built and on the lots, trying to compare them to what you can order right now is not going to match up.

If you select the 2020 option on the build site, you can get a slightly better view of the pre-chip-shortage packages.

Specific to the option you mentioned (Blind Spot / XPath), the older package does not turn it off. It functions as you would expect - when you have a trailer connected, the blind spot detection expands to the length of your trailer. I don't think there is any difference in the function, just in how you can now order it.

markmass1966

Reaction score
The microchip shortage forced them to add the letter packages in place of the number packages. So if you are looking at trucks that are built and on the lots, trying to compare them to what you can order right now is not going to match up.

If you select the 2020 option on the build site, you can get a slightly better view of the pre-chip-shortage packages.

Specific to the option you mentioned (Blind Spot / XPath), the older package does not turn it off. It functions as you would expect - when you have a trailer connected, the blind spot detection expands to the length of your trailer. I don't think there is any difference in the function, just in how you can now order it.
Thank you for the info. I work for Cisco and the chip shortage is definitely real!

Chrisminx

Reaction score
I have a pre chip shortage truck with the "Blind Spot with tag trailer & Cross Path Detection" feature, and it does turn off depending on which trailer option you select. When I hook up a bumper pull, the feature stays on. When I hook up a gooseneck, the feature is disabled. I would guess that a 5th wheel would be treated the same as gooseneck.

markmass1966

Reaction score
I have a pre chip shortage truck with the "Blind Spot with tag trailer & Cross Path Detection" feature, and it does turn off depending on which trailer option you select. When I hook up a bumper pull, the feature stays on. When I hook up a gooseneck, the feature is disabled. I would guess that a 5th wheel would be treated the same as gooseneck.
Odd, I wonder what the reason behind that is.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Only if you tell it it is a fifth wheel/gooseneck. I lie to it and it still works to some degree, I just don't trust it as much.

Users who are viewing this thread