Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Concerns with the DPF gauge not registering or moving

Blueticks

Reaction score
Hi Folks
Just took delivery of my 2019 ram 2500 Laramie in march. Been a great truck up to this point. I had a blind spot alert unavailable that led to a gambit of issues such as intermittent windows, radio, HVAC ext...Anyway got that sorted by replacing a model in the drivers door. That leads me to my concern. Prior to this happening, I was watching periofically, my DPF gauge to keep an eye on it. I am new to diesel engines. I never moved. NEVER. When I got my truck back from the dealer it read about 20% for a couple of days. Then on a sat. night I received the "Automatic Exhaust Regeneration In Progress" I figured I would run it down the Highway the next day as many forums and the book suggest. Next day the message was gone. I took it for a ride and the gauge never moved. I even let it idle for 45 minutes...nothing. After what recently happened, electronically, I am skeptic that there is a problem with the gauge. Does anyone else have a similar experience with their DPF gauge. Should I be concerned or are these 2019 RAMS or is the new exhaust system that good that I really should not be worried at all? (SRY for the winded text)

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
mine never showed me anything but zero % for the 10k miles it was relevant. it did regens periodically but that gauge never moved.

Blueticks

Reaction score
Yup...I don't even get that...I wish someone ensure me that these newer rams are just burning fuel more efficiently as I have read in other blogs

zhauler

Reaction score
I haven't really been paying attention but I use diesel kleen every other fill...

I also have been filling only with bp from a new station with new tanks...

dpf needs sustained heat to burn off the soot, so if you shut it down in the middle of a regen, you can make it worse....

dpf works by injecting diesel in to the filter (among other methods) to heat and burn the soot...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
We do allot of traveling and mine will jump up to about 12% then the next time I check it, its back down to zero. I'd say if it's not something that you keep on in the evic all the time , that it would be hard to catch it. At least on mine anyway. Because so many of my miles are spent towing the fiver, i go through allot more def than the average user. I'm real happy with how my regen system has performed this far

AKDoug

Reaction score
I've caught mine registering above zero exactly ONCE in 30,000 miles. Now it's just another gauge I don't bother to look at.

AkFire422

Reaction score
6,100mi on my 2020 2500 limited mega. Never seen the gushed move. No issues though. Regen works perfectly, is what I assume. In Alaska so fair amount of idle time warming up etc, and staying warm at the Snowmachine trailhead.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I have yet to see mine move. I have spent a lot of time driving with it on the screen too.

Jackb60

Reaction score
2019 with almost 23k miles and ive never seen the guage move off zero and have never seen a regen notice on the screen. Seems strange to me.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
My 2020 RAM 3500 dually in the first 5000 miles seemed to regen more often. Perhaps like a break in period? After 5000 miles, it's had to catch the regen message on the screen, and I run with the DPF screen displayed.

And that includes a 500 one day trip to Florida towing a 12k trailer.

Jackb60

Reaction score
My 2020 RAM 3500 dually in the first 5000 miles seemed to regen more often. Perhaps like a break in period? After 5000 miles, it's had to catch the regen message on the screen, and I run with the DPF screen displayed.

And that includes a 500 one day trip to Florida towing a 12k trailer.
does the regen message only show in the dpi screen ?

Users who are viewing this thread