Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Concerning oil analysis report for first oil change

thestuarts

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 3500 with the HO Diesel. I changed the oil at 4,200 miles, and I sent the OEM oil off to Cummins Filtration for analysis. The report is mildly concerning because 2 items came back with a rating of Abnormal.
  • Copper was measured at 81 parts per million (ppm) which is considered moderate. The lab wrote,"Suspect most of the copper may be coming from the lubricant cooler and/or EGR cooler (as applicable)."
  • Slicone was measured at 37 ppm which is considered moderate. The lab wrote, "SILICON sources can be abrasives (dirt, Alumina Silica), seals and gasket material, lube additive or lube supplement, and/or environmental contaminant."
This is my first time ordering an oil analysis report, so I don't know if I should be concerned. Does anyone have experience interpreting these reports for diesel engines? Is this expected for a first oil change due to breakin? Has anyone else ordered an oil analysis report in the first 10,000 miles for comparison?

Here is the full report.

Oil Analysis Results.JPG

thestuarts

Reaction score
Bumping...

Is this expected for a first oil change due to breakin? Has anyone else ordered an oil analysis report in the first 10,000 miles for comparison?

D

Deleted member 80

I am not a analysis guru, but have done, and read a few. Maybe someone with a deeper knowledge will chime in.
I would not be worried. Even the Mopar gassers tend to show high copper from the cooler. The base number would indicate the oil was not spent, but you should try to find a VOA(virgin oil analysis)of the oil you are using to find out what the initial TBN(total base number)is, so you can judge your OCI(oil change interval).

Daybreak

Reaction score
Howdy,
In reality I would not think to start a baseline with first factory oil. The analysis has so many variables because of break-in. Some of the items could have gotten to the oil in the first 30 minutes of the engine running. The more important aspect would be how you treated your new diesel engine within the first 1000 miles.
I would say with your next oil change analysis to be your baseline to go forward from.

Nick

Reaction score
Oil analysis is something that is built on . One reading does not make a trend . I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it . Just keep comparin ng them to one another . As Daybreak mentioned first oil is not a good baseline.

Users who are viewing this thread