Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colorado I-70 closure due to massive slide

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of you, particularly CO folks and those that run I-70, already know I-70 is closed through Glenwood Canyon.

There's currently no ETA on when it will open. There's been talk of abandoning it entirely (at some point) and rerouting I-70 but I'll be dead by the time they finish.

Quote from a local site, "In the press conference on Monday the CDOT stated that they had hauled 500 truck loads of material from the mud slide sites on Sunday, and that there's 1000 times that amount yet to be moved."

The river has rerouted in several places in the canyon and is undermining parts of the EB I-70 retaining wall.

Here's an amazing drone video of the slough form the canyon all the way up. The amount of material moved is mind blowing.

Wobly

Reaction score
Cottonwood Pass is currently being used as a detour by locals and people that know about it, but it is a dirt, mountain road not designed for Toyota Camrys.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Amazing video indeed.

Mother nature gonna do whatever she wants haha. Crazy.

MtnRider

Reaction score
What a mess that has to be. I70 can be a traffic nightmare as it is, luckily that is west of Summit county so at least a good majority of the weekend front range travelers can get up that far. When we would go up there I would always go the back way from the Springs just to avoid I70.

1651Naismith

Reaction score
I think Cottonwood pass is one of the routes being discussed for the new I-70 route.
That’s not computing for me.… Taylor canyon can’t support the traffic even with years of work. Independence would be shorter to Glenwood, but has similar or worse issues (and big Aspen $$$ to fight it). Wouldn’t Monarch Pass to Gunnison make more sense If they take it south?

Regardless, it would seem faster and cheaper to stabilize the burn area. But what do I know. I work in the world of enterprise software, which suddenly seems very simple compared to this CF….

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just parroting something I saw posted on a local board. My travels through the area are pretty limited so I'm not really familiar with it all.

I-70 Glenwood canyon is doomed to repeat this until they get the burn stabilized and control the water. Someone else that worked on it when it was built said the engineers wanted to build high bridges over the canyon but that was nixed.

Here's another pic that was going around.

i70 cdot.jpg

If anyone does FB, here's a great video showing how massive and deep the slide is on the highway. Can't locate it anywhere else except their site and my ad blockers won't let it play.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone on the local board that works for CDOT just posted that the EB deck of I70 that's shown covered in that photo is missing for about 50 yards.

1651Naismith

Reaction score
I'm just parroting something I saw posted on a local board. My travels through the area are pretty limited so I'm not really familiar with it all.

Ok...my bad. A little further research this morning indicates this is a DIFFERENT Cottonwood Pass much closer to Glenwood than the one I was referring to (the one near Buena Vista).

Makes MUCH more sense now. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread