Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold weather Prep?

techman

Reaction score
Heading to the Great White North for a week with the new truck. Should I do any prep for what looks like a stretch of below zero temps? The truck will unfortunately be parked for several days in an outside lot with no options to plug in the block heater. I imagine the fuel is winter blend at my destination but I'll be heading into Canada with fuel from Mass.

Treat the diesel? Bring a battery jump pack just in case? Or just go and not worry about it?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Heading to the Great White North for a week with the new truck. Should I do any prep for what looks like a stretch of below zero temps? The truck will unfortunately be parked for several days in an outside lot with no options to plug in the block heater. I imagine the fuel is winter blend at my destination but I'll be heading into Canada with fuel from Mass.

Treat the diesel? Bring a battery jump pack just in case? Or just go and not worry about it?
You will be fine no need to worry about anything

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
You likely don't have to worry about anything.

I will, on occasion, add some cold flow improver to my tank if I am going from one climate to a much colder one. It's cheap insurance, thou I have no way of knowing if it was ever needed or not.

I also keep a battery jumper pack in the truck, but have only ever used it on other rigs.

Last edited:

techman

Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurances, I imagine the truck is perfectly capable of a cold snap.

flan

Reaction score
How old are your batteries? Often the 19+20s have been going tits up during the first cold snap. Some Howe’s antigel or similar is cheap insurance too.

techman

Reaction score
Brand new July 22 build with 1800 miles on the clock so far. This trip will double the miles on the ODO by the time I return.

I'll check the actual forecasted temps before I leave. Quebec City starts to get real cold in December.

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
It may not be worth it for a week, but You may wish to look into changing the oil to the 5w-40 for low temperatures.

Users who are viewing this thread