Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Weather - LED Headlights - Snow/Ice buildup - What do you do?

thecastle

Reaction score
Might try rain-x. I found it helps to keep my headlights clear, and no fogging on my other cars.

ITs not just ice build up that's a problem in winter. Coating with road salt/sand/grime is a big problem too especially at night. That's why a lot of cars had headlight washers/cleaners. They make a big difference on the grime/ice. Maybe rig up some extra tubing from you windshield washer sprayer to spray on the headlights, if its a constant problem. I know some older rams had headlight washers as an option. Don't know if the 2019+ had it as an option, to retrofit. Also parking in a warm garage keeps the ice buildup down.

Otherwise your stuck stopping at a gas station using the windshield cleaner on your headlights. Its what I do if the vehicle I'm driving doesn't have headlight washers, especially at night when you can't see crap from the headlights being coated with grime.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I'm actually surprised that I've yet to see this issue. I bought my wifes jeep without the LED headlights for exactly this reason, and my truck had them so I said whatever. I'm surprised how well they have done. I think doing a ceramic coating could help for sure. I think adams or others likely have something safe to use on headlights.

996Pilot

Reaction score
I've had the same problem a few times, but haven't found a solution. I'm hesitant to wipe them down with WD-40 or Pam as people have suggested across the web. And since they're plastic, I don't want to use Rain-X like on the windshield. Once it warms up I may end up waxing them to see if that helps.
RainX makes a product for plexiglass. I use it on my motorcycle windshield.

Hardtop

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've used rubbing alcohol in a small spray bottle to quickly melt ice on the windshield and headlights of my vehicles for years. Works in seconds. Keep the bottle in the vehicle so it's always handy in the winter. Just wipe off the melted water before the alcohol evaporates so the puddled water does not re-freeze and make an ice dam over the wiper. That said, I haven't needed to try it yet on the lights of my 22 ram. I don't *think* it would hurt the headlight surface, but try a test on a small portion of the surface with a rag first. I'll try it myself the next time we get a freeze here, but it's not a regular problem where I live.

el_barto

Reaction score
In Colorado, with the LED Reflector headlights, and yes I find they get coated in slush/road mist and the light quality/output deteriorates rapidly when this happens. Even snow that melts off the hood and then freezes on the headlight severely effects the light output. Many European cars have headlight Washer jets (or blades on older cars) that do a pretty good job of clearing off the shmutz.

I talked to Frost Fighter(they make car windows Defroster kits) about the possibility of making headlight Defrosters a year or two ago but I haven’t heard any updates.

In the mean time, I’ll just have to be vigilant about cleaning them in the winter…though not much you can do mid-drive

BikePilot

Reaction score
I love the heated headlight washers on my euro vehicles here in the CO mountains. Ram needs to get with the program!

btw the issue with people flashing you may be due to headlight adjustment rather than brightness.

mountainears

Reaction score
I have definitely experienced this snow build up but it won’t be a regular thing for me as we don’t get a ton of snow normally. So I likely would not be one to invest in a fix. That said doing a little googling seems to show it is a very common issue and third party LED companies are building some of their aftermarket light kits with heaters. Not a cheap solution but if one is shopping for kits already it is something to consider.

My lights also have the XPEL PPF protection on them. I can’t say if it is better or worse than without as I didn’t experience it before. But it does still build up on them with it.

PPF is impacted by high petroleum based fluids so before I try any coating on them I sent a note to their tech support to see if they have any suggestions. Will post back here with what they say, I’m not imagining they have a silver bullet but figured it couldn’t hurt to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JABAR357

Reaction score
I haven’t noticed my head lights freezing up as much this year. I do apply plexus before fall and again in the spring.

Attachments

• Plexus .jpg
    Plexus .jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 10

Hardtop

Reaction score
Plexus... good stuff. Used it for years on the clear plastic windows of our pop-up camper and my jeep's soft-top. Clears the haze while it cleaned and filled small scratches. How did the headlights on your Ram like it? No ill effects? I hadn't thought of using it there.

It's just amazing that an ice buildup problem located literally inches from a heat source hasn't been addressed by any of the Big Three Auto makers. It's not like this problem hasn't happened before and won't happen again on an annual basis.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Plexus... good stuff. Used it for years on the clear plastic windows of our pop-up camper and my jeep's soft-top. Clears the haze while it cleaned and filled small scratches. How did the headlights on your Ram like it? No ill effects? I hadn't thought of using it there.

It's just amazing that an ice buildup problem located literally inches from a heat source hasn't been addressed by any of the Big Three Auto makers. It's not like this problem hasn't happened before and won't happen again on an annual basis.
The answer could be as simple as what they are doing for the mirrors. One would think it would be a safety issue?

JABAR357

Reaction score

No issues started using it about 3 tears now on all my vehicles

unclelala

Reaction score
Just did a little pricing on Plexus...Wow pricey AF for me anyway, at this price it should come with a tech to apply it as well :oops:

mountainears

Reaction score
Just did a little pricing on Plexus...Wow pricey AF for me anyway, at this price it should come with a tech to apply it as well :oops:

Anything with Lexus I’m the name comes at a premium

$35 on Amazon for a 13 oz can does seem a bit rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Splzhaul

Reaction score
I live in the Northeast and have not had any problems with my LED lights yet. I did ceramic coat them when the truck was new so maybe that is why.

Dave01

Reaction score
I haven't either but when it's that snowy out I probably have my plow on.

Users who are viewing this thread