Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Weather - LED Headlights - Snow/Ice buildup - What do you do?

Speedracer93CobraR

Reaction score
I love my LED headlights because they are bright and clear. Some oncoming traffic does not because I get flashed more in this truck on dim that any vehicle I have ever had. I sympathize with those folks because I know what it's like meeting trucks with bright lights. BUT, that is not the topic.

What is everyone doing to combat freezing over of your LED headlights and fog lights? We had a heavy wet snow a few days ago and the snow built up on the headlights/fog lights while I was driving to the point I had to stop and clear them so I was able to get any light output and see. Old style headlights gave off heat which worked great for keeping them clear of winter weather. Is there anything that can be done to keep our modern low to no temperature head lights clear?

Wobly

Reaction score
I have read about people using kitchen cooking spray to coat their lenses and try to counteract the icing. I probably need to try it myself.

Speedracer93CobraR

Reaction score
Well, it appears that this is either not a problem or someone needs to develop a headlight heater as there is no solution currently...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It has not been an issue for me.

I also had LED bulbs in my ‘18 and they got hot. Many LEDs even gave cooling fans for the heat.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
happened to me yesterday morning on the way to the farm.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I've had the same problem a few times, but haven't found a solution. I'm hesitant to wipe them down with WD-40 or Pam as people have suggested across the web. And since they're plastic, I don't want to use Rain-X like on the windshield. Once it warms up I may end up waxing them to see if that helps.

unclelala

Reaction score
I have read about people using kitchen cooking spray to coat their lenses and try to counteract the icing. I probably need to try it myself.
I would be leery using anything on the lenses. You never know what reaction it may have. It could cloud or mar the surfaces. IMO

Firebird

Reaction score
No issues with my headlights, but I live in Florida!

Sorry, just had to post that

I've heard of cooking spray, but wonder of it would damage the plastic lens over time? Here in Florida, people sometimes use the spray to help with the love bug problems.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I love my LED headlights because they are bright and clear. Some oncoming traffic does not because I get flashed more in this truck on dim that any vehicle I have ever had. I sympathize with those folks because I know what it's like meeting trucks with bright lights. BUT, that is not the topic.

What is everyone doing to combat freezing over of your LED headlights and fog lights? We had a heavy wet snow a few days ago and the snow built up on the headlights/fog lights while I was driving to the point I had to stop and clear them so I was able to get any light output and see. Old style headlights gave off heat which worked great for keeping them clear of winter weather. Is there anything that can be done to keep our modern low to no temperature head lights clear?

Coming home one day last week from the airport, I had someone that I passed due to traffic flow through an earlier double left hand turn, and then moved over in front of to make a mandatory lane turn several blocks up. I did not cut him off in any way possible and there was no gap to slide in behind any of the other 6 cars. He pinned his brights on and closed up on me.

After the turn, he stayed on my tail and wouldn't move into the empty left lane, so I slowed a bit (lifted, not braked). I should have just let it go, but after he moved over, I got behind him and gave him one quick flash to let him know I wasn't being a D* with my brights (I assume that's what he was all up in my tailgate about) and then I got right back over in the right lane for my turn 2 blocks up. He did the same and brake checked me and moved at a slow crawl (20MPH instead of 45 limit). So he either didn't get it and thought *I* was the D* or somehow thought I shouldn't have been in front of him. In traffic now and I needed to turn one block ahead so I just let it go and waited until my upcoming turn. As I did he reached his arm out to flip me off.

SMH.

Dave01

Reaction score
I was going to say I haven't had the problem, but then realize on the worst messy days I've had the plow on.

I use de-icer washer fluid in the winter. Might be worth wiping them down with some the day before the storm, maybe it would leave some residue that would help release ice and snow? No idea, just a thought.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Wish I had a good answer.

With all the mag chloride they put down here, hasn't been a problem. :mad:

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Up North they all freeze over. You can buy heated light bars and other led lights so maybe that might work.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
For what its worth even the halogens do the same i have had heated lenses on my Jeep Jk they still did the same the heat cant keep up perhaps in milder climates it works better but if its not slush on the lights its salt so its a loose lose situation…

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
right.. but it does take a bit more for the halogens to freeze over..

CdnHO

Reaction score
I installed WeatherTech Stone Guard on my lights, primarily to keep them from yellowing. Not sure how well ice would stick to the Stone Guard film. Not going to find out either if I can help it. LOL

unclelala

Reaction score
My lights have PPF on them and Ive had the truck since Sept. 21 and so far so good but since then I don't think we have had a big freezing rain or freezing slush conditions yet thankfully to seal the deal that PPF is the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread