Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Weather group question

ColderWeather86

Reaction score
Palmer, Alaska. Formerly Prescott, Arizona.
Hey guys. Flew into Tulsa today to get my truck. I found the truck does not have the winter grill cover. I ordered the Cold Weather Group with it. The block heater cord is there. I remember when I ordered the truck, the Cold Weather group states it comes with the winter grill cover. Before I cause a fuss is the morning at the dealership, I was to verify it should be with the truck.

drodegeb

Reaction score
Is it by chance a limited? I saw a post somewhere talking about it and that the current one doesn’t fit the grill on a limited and that they have a new one coming for the limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ask the dealer it may have been an oversight at the factory but it should have one

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
Mine came with the cover and I am using it since December.
But the truck has shutters in the front grill which close at cold temps. So the cover might not be 100% required, not sure. The owners manual still states that a cover is recommended at lower temps.
Screenshot 2022-01-19 175106.jpg
Screenshot 2022-01-19 175106.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Mine came with the cover and I am using it since December.
But the truck has shutters in the front grill which close at cold temps. So the cover might not be 100% required, not sure. The owners manual still states that a cover is recommended at lower temps.
View attachment 31889
View attachment 31890
The shutters are not for controlling the cold air flow while driving i know if i dont have my front on and the flaps closed it will make a difference in the cold

ColderWeather86

Reaction score
Not nice to not tell you ahead of time.......
Unrelated question: Moving from AZ to Alaska? Why? My dream is moving to AZ at some point, I am sick of the cold here in MN.
I moved a year ago.

Short version- Arizona is full. Californians moved in with money, driving home prices and taxes up. Infrastructure isn't in place for the amount of people, and the wages haven't increased. I'm making twice now what I did in Arizona working for a different Caterpillar dealer.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I moved a year ago.

Short version- Arizona is full. Californians moved in with money, driving home prices and taxes up. Infrastructure isn't in place for the amount of people, and the wages haven't increased. I'm making twice now what I did in Arizona working for a different Caterpillar dealer.

I've been told by Phoenix residents that there's a ton of east coast transplants there, as much as CA according to some.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
The shutters are not for controlling the cold air flow while driving i know if i dont have my front on and the flaps closed it will make a difference in the cold
But they must have a function? Do you know why Ram put them onto our trucks?
When its cold these shutters block or reduce the airflow to the radiators, when its warm they open up.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure about the Phoenix area. I lived in the northern part of the state. I avoided Phoenix.

Interesting, I have a few friends in the Prescott area and have considered that a potential retirement spot but when I looked at housing prices, I was a bit surprised. I guess since they got in years ago, things have changed.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
We have been spending our summer and Winter vacations in the Phoenix area for the last few years.
The boys, my wife and I really like it, of course the 115F summer requires a pool in the back yard. We rent a home for 10 days and it is reasonable to fly there, rent and having a rental car.
Phoenix and AZ does not seem to be a summer destination and therefore is affordable for summer vacation.

For the future (within the next 10 years) we were thinking moving there permanent to escape the 7 month of winter here in Minnesota. Further on AZ is in the center of everything, California beaches are not too far away, you can go to Utah skiing, New Mexico is a nice place to travel, etc........sounds like a good place to live.

Downside is that I do not know if there are many places for me to work as a mechanical engineer, I might be too specialized. My wife is a teacher and AZ school districts pay teachers 1/2 of what she makes in Minnesota. So we need to think about a career change, maybe even start our own business.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
But they must have a function? Do you know why Ram put them onto our trucks?
When its cold these shutters block or reduce the airflow to the radiators, when its warm they open up.
Aero dynamics and fuel millage is the reason they are there its all about redirecting the air when not needed through the grill it also will not block off the same amount of air the winter front will as the shutters are on a stepper motor its not like an full open/or full closed setup

Also the cold front covers the intercooler which is important

ColderWeather86

Reaction score
Interesting, I have a few friends in the Prescott area and have considered that a potential retirement spot but when I looked at housing prices, I was a bit surprised. I guess since they got in years ago, things have changed.
That's where I lived. Stopped off at my old hardware store and spoke to my old neighbor there. Next to his house (next to my old house,) someone installed 5 new double wide houses on 10 acres, and 5 more are going in this summer, 450,000 is what they're selling for. The house I sold last year I paid 165,000 for it in 2015. It's insane.

Users who are viewing this thread