Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Starts

regal2800

Reaction score
Hello there,

So on my '16, when i did cold starts during the winter, if i enganged the exhaust brake, it would engange to help speed up the engine warm up period. I came up to the mountains this weekend and i noticed on cold starts, (around 20 F) the engine would automatically idle up and the louvers on the front grill would be closed, but no matter what i did, the exhuast brakes wouldnt engage to speed up the warm up period. Is being able to engage exhaust brakes on cold starts removed from the 19+ trucks?

Last edited:

MSundet

Reaction score
Hello there,

So on my '16, when i did cold starts during the winter, if i enganged the exhaust brake, it would engange to help speed up the engine warm up period. I came up to the mountains this weekend and i noticed on cold starts, (around 20 F) the engine would automatically idle up and the louvers on the front grill would be closed, but no matter what i did, the exhuast brakes wouldnt engage to speed up the warm up period. Is that function removed from the 19+ trucks?

You can put your foot on the break to idle down but the computer automatically controls this now I wish I could control it but have not figured out how yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't manually engage it, but it should activate when commanded by the ECU. I don't recall what approximate temp mine has activated the exhaust brake on warmups here over the winter. I usually start it from the phone or FOB from inside the house.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Weird, my 19 will engage the exhaust break when warming up i always hit the exhaust brake button so i dont know if it would do it without hitting the button.... i get the message on the evic for cabin warmup....

rsday75

Reaction score
My 19 auto -engages the exhaust brake 3-4 minutes after startup. It also ups idle automatically, but that time varies based on how cold it was it seems.....
I can hear when the exhaust brake is engaged in my house.....gets a good bit louder...then I know it is about time to go.....:)

MSundet

Reaction score
My 19 auto -engages the exhaust brake 3-4 minutes after startup. It also ups idle automatically, but that time varies based on how cold it was it seems.....
I can hear when the exhaust brake is engaged in my house.....gets a good bit louder...then I know it is about time to go.....:)

What is the difference between the high idle and the exhaust brake engaging?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What is the difference between the high idle and the exhaust brake engaging?

The exhaust brake closes to increase back pressure allowing for more heat buildup

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Mine automatically turned high idle and the exhaust brake on last week for the first time (SoCal). My wife heard it from inside the house and asked me what's wrong with the truck LOL

MSundet

Reaction score
This, it gives the engine something to work against to help build heat quicker on warmup.

Someone in the thread said that the light comes on I looked today and the exhaust break was off and it was in high idle assuming all computer driven

OhioRAM

Reaction score
My 20’ will not engage the exhaust break on its own but it does go into high idle on its own. You can also put it in high idle by turning on the cruse control and pressing “set” then you can hit the “increase” button and idle the engine all the way up to 1,400RPM

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My 20’ will not engage the exhaust break on its own but it does go into high idle on its own. You can also put it in high idle by turning on the cruse control and pressing “set” then you can hit the “increase” button and idle the engine all the way up to 1,400RPM

That's odd, because my 20 HO and everyone else I think I've seen comment, e-brake comes on during warmup if it's cold enough.

OhioRAM

Reaction score
Hmmm mine is the HO to. The weather is going to be single digits almost every day this next week when I’m warming up my truck for work. I’ll report back!

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
mine goes into high idle fairly quick if it's cold enough, along with the eb.

Xflight29

Reaction score
My 2020 / 3500 HO No E-brake on cold start. Takes a good few minuets to go in to high idle on its own. Outside air temp @ 35 degrees.

MSundet

Reaction score

I will have to try this, I live in Minnesota every morning is at least 20 degrees I’ll report back aswell I have the HO 3500

MSundet

Reaction score
That's odd, because my 20 HO and everyone else I think I've seen comment, e-brake comes on during warmup if it's cold enough.

Mine does not come on just high idles, wondering if there is a cold weather package that it just takes care of it regardless

OhioRAM

Reaction score
Mine does not come on just high idles, wondering if there is a cold weather package that it just takes care of it regardless

That’s a good call. I do not have the cold weather package to my knowledge

Users who are viewing this thread