Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Air Intake

ParallaxReign

Reaction score
2022 3500 3.73 DRW arriving next week. Is a cold air intake worth any improvement?

flan

Reaction score
Honestly, no. Stock intake flows pretty good and draws fresh, cool air from outside the engine bay. A few of the aftermarket intakes pull warm air from the engine bay. You will get a cool factor feeling and maybe a little more turbo whistle and exhaust brake growl depending on which one you decide to buy, but not even a seat of the pants power improvement.

Lift89

Reaction score
2022 3500 3.73 DRW arriving next week. Is a cold air intake worth any improvement?

Check out S&B or Banks, I wouldn’t go with anything other than those two. They still pull cold air from the front of the vehicle because they use the stock air damn. People have noticed better fuel mileage, a little better throttle response, and louder exhaust brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Banks CAI is a nice upgrade if you have $ to burn, same with S&B. More so if you are tuned for sure though. The air density increase from being a straight shot versus the S snaking that the stock intake does, 100% has an effect on performance, similar to driving in warm versus cold or low versus high elevation.. denser air equals more efficiency. The sound and improved airflow coupled with the Banks' intake elbow was enough for me to make the purchase. Also, I plan to upgrade the intercooler in a few years once the stock one has seen better days and a quality aftermarket one gets released. Diesel's love their air and I honestly think you are perfectly fine with the stock one but I always chuckle when the nay-sayers come out in force, give it a try if you are curious.. just make sure you buy a quality part from a reputable company.

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
Hell Yes! All of the extra dirt that gets in will do a wonderful job of polishing your turbo fins and your cylinder walls!
Maybe get around 100k out of the engine before you start using excess oil :eek:! Read the post about K & N above, or any
other same style filter.

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score
Got the S&B and it sounds sexier and I can clean the filter and replace.

Can’t say performance has increased or not. I try to lie to myself but not sure. Once I delete everything then it will make a difference but don’t think it does much now

jetrinka

Reaction score
I agree with you if the conditions are cruising speeds or anything in closed loop where the ecu is using the O2 and other sensors to control fueling. However at WOT and open loop it’s a totally different scenario and yes colder, denser air will help generate the most power possible.

Disclaimer: I am still against intakes that use inferior filtering media

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread