Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold air Intake

RamPaged

Reaction score
Good Day
I have installed a S&B cold air intake in my 2022 Ram2500 (easy install)and love it.
What should I do with the stock parts? Keep,sell or throw away? Any ideas are welcome

Attachments

• IMG_0503.jpeg
    IMG_0503.jpeg
    520.2 KB · Views: 45

woody284

Reaction score
I’m a pack rat so all my take off parts like that so in a box in the garage. Just for that “just in case”. Larger items like step bars, etc I sell. I am the “what if I don’t like it later or what if I decide to sell the truck, etc.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So you removed the Factory CAI good for up to 800HP and installed an overpriced replacement? Sounds economical

I would return the S&B and keep the OEM but thats just me. But still keep the OEM dont sell or toss it

Sixtime43

Reaction score
Is the end of the intake box open? If so, you're letting the hot air from the engine bay get sucked into the intake making it a "not-so-cold air intake". It's been pretty well documented that these CAI are little more than a cosmetic upgrade.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Is the end of the intake box open? If so, you're letting the hot air from the engine bay get sucked into the intake making it a "not-so-cold air intake". It's been pretty well documented that these CAI are little more than a cosmetic upgrade.
So you have no idea as to the design just a bunch of guesses? I'll help you out....it's sealed....

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I had no problem finding the correct oem air filter at O'Reilly.

The factory true CAI flows more cold air than the motor can handle.

Not banging on you. It's your truck and your money to do as you wish.
Just these trucks, unlike most autos, comes from the factory with a good CAI that's actually a ram air type of CAI if you look at it closely. And the motor has been tuned for that.

Sixtime43

Reaction score
So you have no idea as to the design just a bunch of guesses? I'll help you out....it's sealed....
I'm pretty sure I have some idea. If you look at his picture it looks like he removed the box plug cap/door. I'll help YOU out... actually look at the pic before you comment.

I had a 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 before the 2022 2500 I currently own. I installed a CAI (K&N) on my 5.7 after a few years of ownership. Other than sounding cool it made absolutely zero difference in performance or gas milage. Lesson learned, and that's why my 2500 will stay stock and my wallet un-violated. :D

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Ok, I looked up the S&B as I am not familiar with them.
From the pictures, it is just a air box and filter replacement as it still uses the factory intake scoop above the radiator.
Correct me if I'm wrong. But I didn't see any additional parts that replaces the factory intake scoop.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Ok, I looked up the S&B as I am not familiar with them.
From the pictures, it is just a air box and filter replacement as it still uses the factory intake scoop above the radiator.
Correct me if I'm wrong. But I didn't see any additional parts that replaces the factory intake scoop.
Attaches in the same spot the stocker does....nothing additional....

Adam06

Reaction score
Aren’t those filters more expensive that oem? I had one on my 2009 f250 power stroke and it didn’t make a difference except at the time the ford oem filters were over 100.00 dollars. And the s and b were 49.00. I gave the truck to my son and he is having a hard time finding the s and b , they are always discontinuing their parts. We finally found one but it was 79.00 now.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
If you dig it, it does it’s job. I see a lot of mods on here that make me smh so hard it hurts but the guys like em’, so….
Toss or save the old parts, IMO.

RamPaged

Reaction score
Good Day
I have installed a S&B cold air intake in my 2022 Ram2500 (easy install)and love it.
What should I do with the stock parts? Keep,sell or throw away? Any ideas are welcome
Thanks for all the comments everyone, even if it doesn’t make a difference it looks good to me and I don’t have to keep buying replacement filters and I stored the stock one (just in case)

Users who are viewing this thread