Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clutch Fan

pizzatots

Reaction score
Maybe an overly cautious thread, but the only time I've heard my fan "roar" is every few days on start up for a short period of time down the street. Beyond that, I've never really heard it come on. I've pulled my trailer up and down the Sierra Nevadas, pulled through the Bay Area foothills when it was over 100 outside.

When pulling through the Sierras I saw Coolant from 190s to 230ish and then oil was up to 240ish. I didn't see oil that high through the foothills in the 100s.

I do hear what sounds like an electric fan running nearly all the time, but I don't ever get that roar. Normal?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Maybe an overly cautious thread, but the only time I've heard my fan "roar" is every few days on start up for a short period of time down the street. Beyond that, I've never really heard it come on. I've pulled my trailer up and down the Sierra Nevadas, pulled through the Bay Area foothills when it was over 100 outside.

When pulling through the Sierras I saw Coolant from 190s to 230ish and then oil was up to 240ish. I didn't see oil that high through the foothills in the 100s.

I do hear what sounds like an electric fan running nearly all the time, but I don't ever get that roar. Normal?
Anything higher than 230 you should hear the roar anything lower it wont unless the A/C commands it to lock like in stop and go traffic. Oil is a calculated number and does nothing for the fan clutch you may as well disregard that data

pizzatots

Reaction score
Anything higher than 230 you should hear the roar anything lower it wont unless the A/C commands it to lock like in stop and go traffic. Oil is a calculated number and does nothing for the fan clutch you may as well disregard that data
How long does the coolant need to be at 230 for the fan to kick in?

Just pretty wild all of the cooling needs are met with speed and the electric fan. I guess that’s a good thing, or I have a bad fan clutch.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
How long does the coolant need to be at 230 for the fan to kick in?

Just pretty wild all of the cooling needs are met with speed and the electric fan. I guess that’s a good thing, or I have a bad fan clutch.
There is no electric fan… it should kick in right at 230 but it could be off by a degree or so

pizzatots

Reaction score
There is no electric fan… it should kick in right at 230 but it could be off by a degree or so

You sure? I definitely hear and feel an electric fan moving a lot of air. Looking at the parts diagrams I’m fairly confident there exists one.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You sure? I definitely hear and feel an electric fan moving a lot of air. Looking at the parts diagrams I’m fairly confident there exists one.
100% sure there is no electric fan the fan clutch is electric though that could be what you are seeing in parts diagrams.

The clutch fan will always move air just depends on how much the clutch is holding determines how much air is flowing

pizzatots

Reaction score
100% sure there is no electric fan the fan clutch is electric though that could be what you are seeing in parts diagrams.

The clutch fan will always move air just depends on how much the clutch is holding determines how much air is flowing

Promise I'm not pissing contesting this one - lol... just trying to learn.

Looking at this:
Part 68322663AB

To me that looks like an electric fan and then the clutch, and fan blades. The fan shroud (which that could look like) is a different set of parts. It says "part 14 in photo", but seems like it's part 16. Is this something that came in the later 6.4s?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Promise I'm not pissing contesting this one - lol... just trying to learn.

Looking at this:
Part 68322663AB

To me that looks like an electric fan and then the clutch, and fan blades. The fan shroud (which that could look like) is a different set of parts. It says "part 14 in photo", but seems like it's part 16. Is this something that came in the later 6.4s?
Perhaps they have both an electric and clutch fan? That is odd but it could be. The electric fan would be pretty redundant unless it is just for the A/C? Now i have to go look at my neighbours gasser tomorrow to see for myself

pizzatots

Reaction score
Perhaps they have both an electric and clutch fan? That is odd but it could be. The electric fan would be pretty redundant unless it is just for the A/C? Now i have to go look at my neighbours gasser tomorrow to see for myself

Driving around to get gas I turned the AC off and the electric fan noise turned off. Seems to be related to the aircon, which is always running in auto. Maybe this is why I’ve not heard the clutch fan ripping hard. Hmm

Users who are viewing this thread