Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Click" no start..

delco32v

Reaction score
Have a 19 2500 Laramie. Had a issue once or twice with a no start scenario. Then dead in the driveway. Loud click and nothing. I watched the voltmeter, went down to 11.6V after preheat.
No battery voltage warnings or other electrical issues at all.
It was towed to local dealer and sat for 3 weeks before being looked at. I had tow driver use a jump pack on it, with same result.
As expected the usual point the finger at the batteries. The terminals are NOS clean. I'm saying partially shorted starter. We shall see.
It actually is receiving the HPFP recall. Apparently the dealer is allocated one per week! What the hell, theyve had it all this time anyway....
Amazing how bad service is anymore,.

flan

Reaction score
It could be batteries. Very common. Seem like junk from the get go. Starter is a possibility as well! Seen a few of those mentioned. Let us know the outcome!

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Time will tell but many batteries don’t last. Sounds like your service sucks but I would be doing cartwheels if I was getting the pump change.

cordeau700

Reaction score
Same exact thing happened to my 22 with 700 miles. Dealer said it was a bad starter. They replaced starter and no problems since.

CurtJ

Reaction score
This happened to me today; 2019 Bighorn with 49k. So I go to start my truck this morning, push the button and grid heater comes on; wait the 30-45 seconds, truck tries to fire and “click” I try to start it again and it says Fuel filters need serviced(I know that not it cause I just had it serviced) try to start again and it say Service Throttle Body!

Take Jeep to the dealer ask them what’s up the tech says try and jump it , sounds like a bad cell in one or both batteries. Go home and use the Jeep to jump it; let it charge for about 10 minutes, get in the truck push the start button heater grid comes on and the truck started right up. Got it to the dealer and they are suppose to look into it this week, they are gonna do a load test and they are saying possible 1 maybe 2 new batteries…:-/ They must use junk batteries like the stock tires they put on them; I only got 23k outta those. Will post an update when I get it back.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
This happened to me today; 2019 Bighorn with 49k. So I go to start my truck this morning, push the button and grid heater comes on; wait the 30-45 seconds, truck tries to fire and “click” I try to start it again and it says Fuel filters need serviced(I know that not it cause I just had it serviced) try to start again and it say Service Throttle Body!

Take Jeep to the dealer ask them what’s up the tech says try and jump it , sounds like a bad cell in one or both batteries. Go home and use the Jeep to jump it; let it charge for about 10 minutes, get in the truck push the start button heater grid comes on and the truck started right up. Got it to the dealer and they are suppose to look into it this week, they are gonna do a load test and they are saying possible 1 maybe 2 new batteries…:-/ They must use junk batteries like the stock tires they put on them; I only got 23k outta those. Will post an update when I get it back.

Sounds just like bad batteries. I wouldn’t have the dealer do that work, unless it’s warranty.

CurtJ

Reaction score
Sounds just like bad batteries. I wouldn’t have the dealer do that work, unless it’s warranty.
Hoping the warranty will cover it; if not unfortunately with being a Stage 4 Cancer patient I will have to have them replaced as I’m not able to physically do the work…….:-(

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoping the warranty will cover it; if not unfortunately with being a Stage 4 Cancer patient I will have to have them replaced as I’m not able to physically do the work…….:-(

Batteries should be covered under the 3/36, or possibly under an extended warranty.

CurtJ

Reaction score
Batteries should be covered under the 3/36, or possibly under an extended warranty.
Dang; guess I’m hosed as I have 49k on the clock. Doubt the powertrain warranty will do any good…:-/

CurtJ

Reaction score
So here’s the update: Just got the Beast back from the dealer. They had called yesterday and told me the drivers side battery was shot and the passenger battery tested “good” by RAM standards; I told them to replace both with new MOPAR batteries I guess the factory batteries are not the same and that these new ones should last considerably longer! Nothing was “drawing” on the batteries that shouldn’t be, all that checked out good. They were very sympathetic that I had to replace them this soon. They took good care of me and my retiree discount helped. Both batteries and labor, shop fees and taxes was $450 out the door. This cancer fightin’ FCA retiree was happy with that. Hope this helps any of y’all that may experience what I did. God Bless!

jetrinka

Reaction score
So here’s the update: Just got the Beast back from the dealer. They had called yesterday and told me the drivers side battery was shot and the passenger battery tested “good” by RAM standards; I told them to replace both with new MOPAR batteries I guess the factory batteries are not the same and that these new ones should last considerably longer! Nothing was “drawing” on the batteries that shouldn’t be, all that checked out good. They were very sympathetic that I had to replace them this soon. They took good care of me and my retiree discount helped. Both batteries and labor, shop fees and taxes was $450 out the door. This cancer fightin’ FCA retiree was happy with that. Hope this helps any of y’all that may experience what I did. God Bless!
You aren't the first to report on weak factory batteries. Glad you got it figured out! God Bless you too!!

Users who are viewing this thread