Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

clearance lamp colors

matemike

Reaction score
I want to change the color of the clearance lamps and also the left and right side marker lights on the exterior mirrors from amber to white. I've found a set of 5 clearance lamps whole assemblies for as much a $215. But is there a way to change the bulb to get a white color light but leave my oem NE housing? I'm coming across sites that say those lights are not serviceable by owner.

Same wants, but seeing same issue with the left right side markers, Not serviceable by owner.

el_barto

Reaction score
They are LEDs not bulbs. You would have to find whole aftermarket led market lights with different colored LEDs.

Snaps3500

Reaction score
They are yellow for a reason. The colors are regulated by federal law on vehicle equipment requirements. If you change the color you take the chance of being stopped and cited. Especially if you are towing with the truck and stopped by DOT inspectors and or law enforcement. Does not seem to be worth the hassle to me, good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GetLostRob

Reaction score
i'm looking at switching out the bulbs myself. I saw replacement bulbs on morimoto for the clearance lamps so im a little surprised that you can't change the LED bulbs out. seems weird that it would be an entire assembly.

also do want you want its your vehicle! never understood why people want to give there opinion on what you want to do to your truck, with no other input. goodluck figuring out a way to swap them. If i stumble across a good option i'll post for you!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
i'm looking at switching out the bulbs myself. I saw replacement bulbs on morimoto for the clearance lamps so im a little surprised that you can't change the LED bulbs out. seems weird that it would be an entire assembly.

also do want you want its your vehicle! never understood why people want to give there opinion on what you want to do to your truck, with no other input. goodluck figuring out a way to swap them. If i stumble across a good option i'll post for you!
Because. Friends don’t let friends do ugly truck mods.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

They are not bulbs the are soldered led chips

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Because. Friends don’t let friends do ugly truck mods.
Agreed! I knew a guy who did purple ones on his chevy same with the mirrors we all told him not to then to make it better a month later he got a big ticket for them as here purple is reserved for funeral processions only

el_barto

Reaction score

It’s. Not. An. LED. Bulb.
LED “bulbs” only exist as halogen/incandescent bulb retrofits in the aftermarket. If the engineer designs it to use an LED they just design the LED to be soldered on the board…it’s much simpler, less parts, more compact.

mcspeed

Reaction score
Just because the LED chip is soldered to the PCB, doesn’t mean one can’t change it.

Open one up to see what it looks like. May be as simple as melting two solder points, removing the LED and replacing with a new one.

It could be quite simple ( or not). LOL.

GetLostRob

Reaction score
It’s. Not. An. LED. Bulb.
LED “bulbs” only exist as halogen/incandescent bulb retrofits in the aftermarket. If the engineer designs it to use an LED they just design the LED to be soldered on the board…it’s much simpler, less parts, more compact.
Thanks for your extreme punctuation. Since your point was already made, seems like wasted effort to make a point that was already made.

Spark Plug

Reaction score
1637941065814.png

Recon makes some quality stuff. Buddy of mine has this set on his and they look great. I have a set on order for mine now.

FYI- Also check these out- Switch back LED for the mirror lights. So all your running lights are a clean white. then mirror lights flash amber. Come in smoked so it matches with the NE style.
1637941219570.png

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Recon makes some quality stuff. Buddy of mine has this set on his and they look great. I have a set on order for mine now.

FYI- Also check these out- Switch back LED for the mirror lights. So all your running lights are a clean white. then mirror lights flash amber. Come in smoked so it matches with the NE style.

:D:D:D:D:D

Recon is pure garbage.

They will stop working before the warranty is up. Or 1 day after.

I wouldn't waste my money (again). But hey, it's your truck, you do what you want.

Spark Plug

Reaction score
:D:D:D:D:D

Recon is pure garbage.

They will stop working before the warranty is up. Or 1 day after.

I wouldn't waste my money (again). But hey, it's your truck, you do what you want.

Went back and read the thread. interesting. thanks for the heads up. I didnt find many options, and knew recon been around a while. I was hoping to get something quality and not some random from amazon.

Herrred

Reaction score
They are yellow for a reason. The colors are regulated by federal law on vehicle equipment requirements. If you change the color you take the chance of being stopped and cited. Especially if you are towing with the truck and stopped by DOT inspectors and or law enforcement. Does not seem to be worth the hassle to me, good luck

SHHHH...the HD Police are here.

OP didn't ask for legal advice. OP asked for a path forward. It stuns me how much federal law is quoted in this forum by those whom disagree with a person's choice.

Go on matemike, buy those mods and make your rig look as you wish. Just keep your OEM handy in the truck a revert them back when they go dark. I found these:

Snaps3500

Reaction score
SHHHH...the HD Police are here.

OP didn't ask for legal advice. OP asked for a path forward. It stuns me how much federal law is quoted in this forum by those whom disagree with a person's choice.

Go on matemike, buy those mods and make your rig look as you wish. Just keep your OEM handy in the truck a revert them back when they go dark. I found these:

I could give a Rats butt what you do with your truck. It’s yours and yours alone. I just happen to be a victim of the so called Trucker police and had to pay a fine for my fun. Just trying to pass the word to save someone else from the hassle. Do what you want , I surely don’t care. Maybe some day some people on this forum might be a little open minded and actually learn something from somebody else’s experience and not be so judgmental.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread