Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clacking noise after engine is shutdown.

Gray Ghost

Reaction score
My engine makes a slow clacking noise for a few seconds after the engine shuts off. Is this normal?

D

Deleted member 80

If we are talking about the same noise, mine does it too. I think it's the DEF pump purging the lines, but not sure.

jared43758

Reaction score
The turbo continues to be oiled after shut down? What pumps the oil? QUOTE="Daybreak, post: 9277, member: 225"]
Howdy,

Oiling the turbo
[/QUOTE]

Gray Ghost

Reaction score
It does sound more like shutters than anything. I'll get my wife to turn it off as I listen.

thestuarts

Reaction score
The noise is most likely the DEF dosing module purging DEF. I hear the noise regularly immediately after I have turned off the truck.

Here is the relevant excerpt from page 144 of the user's manual:

"Diesel equipped vehicles also have an exhaust after-treatment system to reduce emissions utilizing a DPF (refer to “Odor” in this section for further information) and a Selective Reduction Catalyst (SCR). The SCR reduces Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) using the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) system. DEF is injected directly into the SCR through a dosing module. This process will create a clicking sound and at times, will make noise even with the vehicle shut off. This is normal as the DEF dosing module is purging DEF. "

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
From the manual: "Diesel equipped vehicles also have an exhaust aftertreatment system to reduce emissions utilizing a DPF and a Selective Reduction Catalyst (SCR). The SCR reduces Nox using the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) system. DEF is injected directly into the SCR through an dosing module. This process will create a clicking sound and at times, will make noise even with the vehicle shut off. This is normal as the DEF dosing module is purging DEF."

thestuarts

Reaction score
From the manual: "Diesel equipped vehicles also have an exhaust aftertreatment system to reduce emissions utilizing a DPF and a Selective Reduction Catalyst (SCR). The SCR reduces Nox using the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) system. DEF is injected directly into the SCR through an dosing module. This process will create a clicking sound and at times, will make noise even with the vehicle shut off. This is normal as the DEF dosing module is purging DEF."

Are you mocking me? ;)

fjcanepa07

Reaction score
What about while your driving and hear this noise? Mine makes it at stop lights if I idle for 3-5 seconds. I hear “click.. click” then it goes away but does it every time I drive and come to a stop

Gswain

Reaction score
The EGR valves cycle when the truck is shut off, making a clicking sound. By cycling the valves it stops carbon from fouling them.

fjcanepa07

Reaction score
The EGR valves cycle when the truck is shut off, making a clicking sound. By cycling the valves it stops carbon from fouling them.
Does know one read? Mine is doing it when my truck is operating…literally come to a stop light. Sit there for more than 5 seconds and I get the “click.. click” it only clicks twice….

Gswain

Reaction score
Does know one read? Mine is doing it when my truck is operating…literally come to a stop light. Sit there for more than 5 seconds and I get the “click.. click” it only clicks twice….
I was addressing the first post. Probably def related but I don't have firsthand knowledge of your situation.

fjcanepa07

Reaction score
I was addressing the first post. Probably def related but I don't have firsthand knowledge of your situation.
Yeah no one seems to know. Even the dealer ship as of now says it’s an “audible” relay.. I’m calling bulshit

Users who are viewing this thread