Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christmas Tree of Warning lights...

joelp

Reaction score
(New thread due to not being able to find anything in this particular forum on this issue using search)

I was unfortunate enough to join the ABS/Traction/Trailer Brake/No 4WD group a few days ago. Up in Mammoth with the family and after a slight spin in reverse on some ice trying to park along the side of the road before skiing and immediately turn the truck off to park after spinning stops. Daughter alerts me to the fact that she has two left gloves and we'll need to go back to condo. Turn truck back on and the christmas tree goes nuts. Drive to condo to get gloves and lights turn off heading back to park again.

Fire up truck at end of day and lights all back on. Give everything underneath a quick once over and nothing looks weird so decide to get out of town before storm started yesterday AM. Drive the 5 hours back to the beach with no 4WD or ACC. Get underneath on a dry driveway and spend 20 minutes looking at all of the wheel speed sensors and wires. Find that the driver side rear sensor is just kind of sitting in the hole and can be pulled out easily. Pull out and see it's covered in brake dust. Clean and place back into hole. On the way to Oreilly to buy a new one (since no service appointments any time soon and trip to Oregon for more skiing after xmas on the horizon) all of the lights go away and 4WD is back.

Since no one I know has a proper OBD2 scanner, I'm going to assume that rear driver side loose fitting sensor is the issue I'm just going to replace it with a new one and hope for the best. The lack of a screw to hold in those rear sensors seems like a pretty bad design to me. Relying on a pressure fit for something that can render all safety features and 4WD completely inoperable seems like a likely point of failure. Researching online shows that this isn't an isolated issue and it seems like it should receive a proper resolution given the severity of the issues it generates.

These trucks are amazing machines in inclement weather when functioning properly, but take away all traction control and 4WD completely and you're left in a really compromised position.

Aside: the cold weather also killed the functionality of my TPMS. Oh the joys of driving a huge computer....

Will_T

Reaction score
Oh the joys of driving a huge computer....
Isn't that the truth!! :eek:

Hopefully your fix will stop the issue. Strange that it would start with the spin while parking though. But the intermittent lights you describe sure make it sound like you are on the right track with the loose connection.

Users who are viewing this thread