Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing Trailer Size for Integrated Trailer Brake

PMJohns

Reaction score
I’m interested in peoples thoughts on choosing the light or heavy setting for the trailer brake. The manual suggest light for under 10,000 and heavy for over 10,000. I tow an Airstream rated at 9700 (empty) with electric brakes. Currently, I am using the light setting with a gain of 8.5 - 9. Does anybody have experience with both light and heavy for a trailer weighing approximately 10,000.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My 12K GVWR 5th wheel will lock the brakes when manually activated 100% going 25MPH set on Heavy at 3.5-4.0 depending on load.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
I did not know that Airstream made a trailer that heavy. The current 33' classic has an empty weigh of 8261 pounds and maxes out at 10,000 pounds. Just what model/year are you towing. I tow a 30' International. Max weight loaded is 8800 pounds. My gain is generally set at 4.5 to 5.0.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I honesty have not found much of a difference i had set my 10k camper on heavy it would lock the brakes up at 4 with little effort so i switched to light and jt was the same thing…. Even my dump trailer both light and heavy seem to be the same i have to keep it on 2.5 on either setting when empty and 3.5 when loaded

jeffn

Reaction score
my car hauler fully loaded is 10k, if I run it light (8-9k) I will still set to heavy electric and set the gain low. I think a variable is how much load you have on the axles and a car hauler puts the bulk of it right on the axles. If I run light electric I find the braking is just not enough even with the gain up 7+. It could also be that the brakes on that trailer are not best in class.

PMJohns

Reaction score
I did not know that Airstream made a trailer that heavy. The current 33' classic has an empty weigh of 8261 pounds and maxes out at 10,000 pounds. Just what model/year are you towing. I tow a 30' International. Max weight loaded is 8800 pounds. My gain is generally set at 4.5 to 5.0.
For towing purposes, I consider the empty weight to be the scale weight with empty tanks. I should of proof read my post, my empty weight should have read 8700 (big fingers with a small iPhone keyboard).. The “empty” weight in the specifications does not include batteries (100+ pounds), propane tanks, weight distribution hitch, etc.

Thanks for the info on your trailer / trailer break setting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread