Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Checking for rear diff damage

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
Ok. Had truck almost 14 months before first big stupid mistake.

Backing in yard tonight. Watching side view one side for house other side for a tree. Slight incline modest acceleration because of slight incline. Somehow in my rush from getting home late and dinner and family anxiously waiting I forgot about the stump right where I was backing. Hit the edge of it and sat the rear diff right up on the stump. Had to lock in 4x4 to drag rear end off.

So I'm watching for fluid. None to speak of, no visible steel damage or bending in the slightest. Will be taking for a test drive after mulch is unloaded checking for vibrations.

I'll be posting a picture. I think I'm blowing it out of proportion and just super pissed at myself for such neglect/forgetfulness.

Just looking for thoughts on things to check out, where the shackles mount maybe? Plan on looking that over. I'll supply pics shortly. Phone about dead when I got home.

Jokes and criticism expected and tolerated.

whitexc

Reaction score
$hit happens man. We all have moments. Check it out good and run it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
b1163cd05f2e1bc4108a01878429f716.jpg
bb2c8c4b97672e906ebd5ff25d9568d7.jpg
67b222869cb076db6cc071b4605daef6.jpg

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
Don't forget the pride guys. That still hurts lol.

But seriously. Quick spin down the backroad. Wound up to 65. No weird vibrations or sounds. Feeling better now. Just gonna wear this one on the chin a while.

Heckyl

Reaction score
Should have hung that cowbell on your hitch!

Pronto

Reaction score
Don't forget the pride guys. That still hurts lol.

But seriously. Quick spin down the backroad. Wound up to 65. No weird vibrations or sounds. Feeling better now. Just gonna wear this one on the chin a while.

If you really want to be proud, take a couple more passes at that stump and finish it off. :)

Mat_HD

Reaction score
Completely fine. I bash my jeep's differentials on rocks all the time. As long as you didn't peel your cover back, which it sounds like you didn't, you're fine.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You are golden..... dont need to worry about

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
Not an off-roader so no experience there but I guess that's right. A keep diff that's not a mall crawler prob sees this once a year. Lol.

Yeah the stump has been a poor mans work in progress. Been too cheap to rent a stump grinder. Just been cutting pieces as I can from it. It looks pretty bad for the most part.

Well this is what I was hoping. Worked myself up real good. Better to rub the stump than to have backed into the tree on the one side!

kristof

Reaction score
That stump looks "soft" you probably just slid on it.

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
That stump looks "soft" you probably just slid on it.

Should be. 2.5 years since the tree was removed ha. Been cutting it down little by little and adding liquid to dry it out as often as I can remember lol

Users who are viewing this thread