Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check engine and Service Air Filter Message

dave885

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2022 2500 diesel and promptly (15 mile on the Odometer) got a check engine light and it displays a Service Air Filter message under slight load. Back to dealer and they replaced the MAF which seems to have quieted down the check engine light (so they say) but not the Service Air Filter message. Tech opened a case with STAR, but I still don't have my truck back. I searched and saw nothing on point, but checking to see if anyone else has run across this and how it was resolved.

D

Deleted member 21465

.....;.

Last edited by a moderator:

superjoe83

Reaction score
I believe the barometric pressure sensor is used to calculate air filter restriction, it should be mounted close to the MAF sensor.

D

Deleted member 21465

I believe the barometric pressure sensor is used to calculate air filter restriction, it should be mounted close to the MAF sensor.
I haven't done driveability in like 20 years but the MAF heats a piece of wire to a given temperature and calculates airflow based on the temperature of the wire. That's how they used to do it anyway. :) Giving it the name Mass Air Flow.

superjoe83

Reaction score
I haven't done driveability in like 20 years but the MAF heats a piece of wire to a given temperature and calculates airflow based on the temperature of the wire. That's how they used to do it anyway. :) Giving it the name Mass Air Flow.
Yes, the MAF works like that, but there is also a baro sensor mounted in the air cleaner housing, and from my research the ecm takes a reading during power up, then once running it will monitor the baro reading and if it drops down to a certain point the ecm assumes the air filter is restricted because it can see the pressure drop/vacuum that the air filter restriction is creating.

D

Deleted member 21465

IMHO the method you are describing would be how a MAP sensor works in a speed density system. I believe either way is probably irrelevant to his problem IMHO. Usually a problem that occurs the first time heavy throttle is used is the result of a manufacture issue. Something not in place, something extra in the system or one time I even found a plastic bag in front of the air filter that was left in at the plant.

dave885

Reaction score
IMHO the method you are describing would be how a MAP sensor works in a speed density system. I believe either way is probably irrelevant to his problem IMHO. Usually a problem that occurs the first time heavy throttle is used is the result of a manufacture issue. Something not in place, something extra in the system or one time I even found a plastic bag in front of the air filter that was left in at the plant.

This is a wild guess but I have a little experience with this. My guess would be it had a MAF code and the air filter message. Codes can be good and bad, many techs rely to much on the code and jump to what I call bottom line diagnosis on a valley forge schematic. They open the tree chart and jump to the bottom of the page and skip all the steps in between. That is my guess why the MAF was replaced. Seeing a bad new component on a brand new unit is rare. Seeing two problems in one system on a brand new unit is unheard of. The odds are STAR will tell him to reinstall the original MAF and follow the tree chart but having seen just about anything you can imagine especially out of the Mexico plant I'm going to bet it is an assembly line issue and not an actual defetive component.
Thanks. They originally said the codes were turbo overboost related and then the MAF was throwing odd values (and why they replaced it). We’ll see what they find.

D

Deleted member 21465

Thanks. They originally said the codes were turbo overboost related and then the MAF was throwing odd values (and why they replaced it). We’ll see what they find.

dave885

Reaction score
The saga (comically) continues. The new MAF eliminated the check engine, but service air filter message continues to appear under load. Engineers said change the EGR, so EGR ordered and installed today. No dice. Engineers asked for picture of intake and compared to what it's supposed to be and they now say wrong air filter is installed! Someone must have left a bunch of 2021 parts laying too close to the assembly line and my intake is a combination of old and new. SMH

dave885

Reaction score
The saga (comically) continues. The new MAF eliminated the check engine, but service air filter message continues to appear under load. Engineers said change the EGR, so EGR ordered and installed today. No dice. Engineers asked for picture of intake and compared to what it's supposed to be and they now say wrong air filter is installed! Someone must have left a bunch of 2021 parts laying too close to the assembly line and my intake is a combination of old and new. SMH
Just heard from the dealer and it was in fact the air filter. Apparently, there is a version where the pleats are glued together vs. not and my truck needed the glue version. Under load the air was folding over the pleats on the nonglued version, restricting air flow and throwing the message. Go figure.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just heard from the dealer and it was in fact the air filter. Apparently, there is a version where the pleats are glued together vs. not and my truck needed the glue version. Under load the air was folding over the pleats on the nonglued version, restricting air flow and throwing the message. Go figure.
I believe the difference in filters is the hemi vs the cummins filter i was thinking it would be the filter because this is exactly what happens when people install certain Cold air intakes

Sir AutoManiac

Reaction score
Hi there, I just wanted to share my experience with the same issue and hopefully that helps someone down the line. I have a 21 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins with 120K miles on it (I’m the first owner), which threw codes P0299 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Underboost and P2459 - Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Frequency, with no difference in drivability. And I’m hauling 3 car wedge trailer with it 2500 miles a week on average. Apparently when I did my last maintenance didn’t think that the dried out and partially missing glue holding the pleats of the air filter would matter so much. The codes came up after about 20K miles with this filter and after deleting them with a scan tool would pop up after about a 100 mile drive. I came across this thread and after checking my air filter it turned out it was about half collapsed on itself. More than 5K miles now with a new filter I have no check engine light and more than 50% less regeneration.

Users who are viewing this thread