Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chassis failure.

downsc123

Reaction score
Off topic but why wouldn't you just go with a travel trailer or 5th wheel if you want more space - I guess I don't understand the draw of a slide in and having to carry all that payload

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Off topic but why wouldn't you just go with a travel trailer or 5th wheel if you want more space - I guess I don't understand the draw of a slide in and having to carry all that payload

Major footprint difference, and often people go with a slide-in to be able to tow something else.

jsalbre

Reaction score
FWIW that's an Eagle Cap 1165 based on the slides. Dry weight without options (without AC, awnings, Generator, etc etc etc) is 4917. With options, food, water, etc that thing is 6k give or take.

That’s nearly as heavy as my 28’ travel trailer when it’s empty. More than my previous single axle 21’ when it was loaded. Braking must suuuuck.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly. “I’m going to massively exceed my payload so I can tow a sketchy overloaded trailer on an unsafe hitch extension.”

All kinds of different sized slide-ins, most aren’t this level over oversized…

Blythkd1

Reaction score
They aren’t really any stronger (3500 vs 3500), just more suited for up fitting. Now if you’re talking 4500/5500 vs 3500 then yes, they are stronger.

Yea 4500/5500
Even the 3500 c/c frame is huge right at the back of the cab. I bet it's a foot high but I haven't measured. It's just very noticeable. It jumped out at me first time I was under the truck.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Even the 3500 c/c frame is huge right at the back of the cab. I bet it's a foot high but I haven't measured. It's just very noticeable. It jumped out at me first time I was under the truck.

Yes, it has to be large to handle the rapid rise and narrowing required for its dimensions. Pickup frames have a shallower rise and don’t narrow
the same.

jsalbre

Reaction score
All kinds of different sized slide-ins, most aren’t this level over oversized…
Oh yeah. there are definitely more sensibly sized ones. This one is just comically oversized.

oscar

Reaction score

My impression was the opposite. It's 7-1/2"x2-1/2" and I don't think it's 1/4" thick. It's "engineered" which means it's shaped and built to take loads in certain ways, while minimizing material/weight which results in OVERALL strength being less than if you were in fact to take a foot tall 1/4" box. It is certainly not designed, as someone pointed out somewhere, to take the stresses of the tie downs combined with an out of aft CG/overload situation. And mind you, these exceedances are (percentage wise) well within what should be a reasonable engineering standard, say 25% or more. (I am NOT suggesting that overloading is OK. I don't.)

In my world the front wheels need to come off the ground first and then MAYBE things start breaking.

jsalbre

Reaction score
My impression was the opposite. It's 7-1/2"x2-1/2" and I don't think it's 1/4" thick. It's "engineered" which means it's shaped and built to take loads in certain ways, while minimizing material/weight which results in OVERALL strength being less than if you were in fact to take a foot tall 1/4" box. It is certainly not designed, as someone pointed out somewhere, to take the stresses of the tie downs combined with an out of aft CG/overload situation. And mind you, these exceedances are (percentage wise) well within what should be a reasonable engineering standard, say 25% or more. (I am NOT suggesting that overloading is OK. I don't.)

In my world the front wheels need to come off the ground first and then MAYBE things start breaking.
You could absolutely tip the truck up till the front wheels come off the ground and the frame would be fine. It's shock loading that causes the bend. The frame would have to be significantly larger/heavier/stronger to prevent that.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
You said you thought the frame was 12" high. It's not. Not even close.
I don't know if we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the transition area of the frame right behind the cab of a 3500 chassis cab truck. It's substantially more than 7 1/2" high.

oscar

Reaction score
I don't know if we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the transition area of the frame right behind the cab of a 3500 chassis cab truck. It's substantially more than 7 1/2" high.
Made me get under there again, in the wet cold. The chassis beam is 7-1/2" all the way. To the left is the rear cab mount, the square tube at the bottom left is my TC tie down seen in the more distant shot.

Attachments

• IMG_5464.jpg
    IMG_5464.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5469.jpg
    IMG_5469.jpg
    716.1 KB · Views: 27

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Made me get under there again, in the wet cold. The chassis beam is 7-1/2" all the way. To the left is the rear cab mount, the square tube at the bottom left is my TC tie down seen in the more distant shot.
You would not have to get under it again if you read where we talked about C&C trucks

Users who are viewing this thread