Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing my own oil and fuel filter

CdnHO

Reaction score
As an Internet user I've personally seen plenty of mis-information spewed on forums. As an EcoDiesel owner (for those familiar with that RAM scenario) I've seen that same mis-information. I've spoken with more than my share of Service Managers about oil changes (related to the EcoDiesel) and the answers are all the same. Its considered normal maintenance any one can do it. If there is an issue down the road RAM may want receipts just to ensure that the changes were done and that the correct oil and filter were used. I've attached two links below - note that its actually illegal for a dealer to deny you warranty for maintenance done elsewhere. Keep in mind this all assumes that the oil changes are performed correctly with proper fluids and within specified time and mileage.

H3LZSN1P3R - I call baloney on your statements unless you can prove otherwise that written dealer permission is necessary for oil and filter changes. To be honest, I'm not sure that a dealer would want to give you this in writing just because it could put them at risk if you do a half baked job or use the wrong oil etc. If you ask, any Service Manager is simply going to mention using the right oil and filter and do it in the mileage and time periods specified.

To others reading this wondering why I keep pursuing this - to be honest, I wonder the same myself. Especially as a newbie on this forum. I'm an older guy that loves to work on vehicles, and that includes doing my own maintenance. I joined this forum to learn more about HD RAM trucks. I recently went through all these oil change scare tactics with my EcoDiesel (finest vehicle I've ever owned BTW) and this stuff about warranty cautions is just not true. From an EcoDiesel perspective, more than one engine was destroyed by dealers using the wrong oil in that engine. I've enjoyed taking pride in doing my own maintenance and hope that others can also. In fact, with the money saved doing your own changes, filters, etc you might want to put some of that towards oil analysis.

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | FTC Consumer Information

When Can Your Car Dealer Void Your Vehicle's Warranty or Deny Auto Warranty Service Claims? (ncconsumer.org)
Even the manual tells you how to rotate tires, what oil to use, even the procedure for changing the fuel filters.

saltman

Reaction score
Change your own oil any way you want and with any oil you want long as it is 10w30 or 5w40 CES 20086 and CK-4 approved. The statements and false information on here are ridiculous sometimes. Your Cummins came 100 percent with Valvoline premium blue in it as the factory fill, the 6.4 trucks have the Shell oil in them.

Users who are viewing this thread