Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cd player

Whiskyman

Reaction score
i recently ordered a 2021 2500 limited, I'd like to add a compact disc player inside the massive console, i wondered if anyone has tried this? Good luck with what brand? Potentially a factory unit from a previous year? Photos?

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Not being snarky. But why? It is SO much easier to just rip any CDs you want to a USB drive, and then you have better control, better form factor, pretty much better everything?

Whiskyman

Reaction score
Lol, i knew id get this reply, lol
Im old school, i think the compression software loses a large percent of the original source material, i.e cd's sound better, and i dont do much copying, i do use amazon music in my current truck, and its alot like memory stick music, ok for casual listening, but for my favorite music i rally like the punch and dynamics of the cd.
Thanks for the reply

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Lol, i knew id get this reply, lol
Im old school, i think the compression software loses a large percent of the original source material, i.e cd's sound better, and i dont do much copying, i do use amazon music in my current truck, and its alot like memory stick music, ok for casual listening, but for my favorite music i rally like the punch and dynamics of the cd.
Thanks for the reply

I'd play around with the bitrate settings and you can get pretty darned good results on digital media. They are both digital, remember? So there is no technical reason why you can't - it'll just take up more room. But given the roughly 650mb limit on a CD, it means nothing on a USB. And you don't have to worry about keeping the CD clean, not scratching it, and inevitably optical media wears out. CDs are not original source material. They're digitized too. Now, if you were comparing to analog vinyl, that's a whole different discussion.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Honestly, I didn't even know you could still get a CD player in a new vehicle! If MOPAR made it so that the wireless charging pad (effectively newest technology) required the CD player (oldest technology) then they really have some 'splainin to do! That's just plain nuts!

farmes

Reaction score
I have a 2019 bighorn with the 8" display. I traded my full console for a bench seat that happened to have the CD player in it. The harness plugged right into my truck and the 8" unit recognized it and played CDs. Not sure if this is helpful, but just saying it should not be a problem to get the head unit to see the player.

jkbrereton

Reaction score
My 2019 Power Wagon came with a CD player. It's under the center console seat thing

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ramit530

Reaction score
@Whiskyman look at a '19 setup and see if it can't be installed in your '21. I never use mine and if I wasn't thinking of upgrading to a '21 in the very near future, I would consider selling/swapping parts with you

1607784242227.png 1607784470759.png

Whiskyman

Reaction score
I have a 2019 bighorn with the 8" display. I traded my full console for a bench seat that happened to have the CD player in it. The harness plugged right into my truck and the 8" unit recognized it and played CDs. Not sure if this is helpful, but just saying it should not be a problem to get the head unit to see the player.
Thanks

gort

Reaction score
I hate to resurrect a thread, but FWIW, I'm currently in the process of doing the same thing to my 2020 2500 Laramie. I have the ginormous 12" touchscreen.

The main impetus is that I hate cables and hate having to plug in my phone every time I get in the truck. Also, I don't use Android auto -- so I ordered the charging pad. I noticed the only bezel option was the one with the CD cutout. I suppose I could have tried to find and order the cubby tray. I also toyed with the idea of trying to switch to the non-cubby/CD bezel that was originally in the truck onto the charging pad, but I thought it'd be nice to have a CD player again because I also prefer CDs.

So after installing the charging pad, module and wiring, I discovered that the console wiring harness didn't have the connector for the CD player. I would up ordering console wiring harness for a 2019 with the same options, which had the CD player connector but was otherwise identical.

I got the harness back in the spring but finally got around to installing it a couple of weeks ago. Taking that console out is a bit of a pain, primarily because of the size and having to remove the air duct and disassemble the rear end of the console to get at the rear end of the harness and connectors.

Now everything is installed, but the CD player doesn't seem to have power -- won't take a disc and won't make noise when you hit the eject button.

I took it to the dealer thinking that they needed to tick a box on their magic scan tool, but they said they they don't have any sales codes to apply to get the CD player to work for a 2020 -- didn't think of asking about a 2019 option code at the time -- stupid me.

Anyway, I'm deciding whether to go back to the dealer and see if any 2019 flashes would get it working or just get a bypass cable and AlfaOBD and try it myself.

If anyone else has gone down this road and been successful, please let me know.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I hate to resurrect a thread, but FWIW, I'm currently in the process of doing the same thing to my 2020 2500 Laramie. I have the ginormous 12" touchscreen.

The main impetus is that I hate cables and hate having to plug in my phone every time I get in the truck. Also, I don't use Android auto -- so I ordered the charging pad. I noticed the only bezel option was the one with the CD cutout. I suppose I could have tried to find and order the cubby tray. I also toyed with the idea of trying to switch to the non-cubby/CD bezel that was originally in the truck onto the charging pad, but I thought it'd be nice to have a CD player again because I also prefer CDs.

So after installing the charging pad, module and wiring, I discovered that the console wiring harness didn't have the connector for the CD player. I would up ordering console wiring harness for a 2019 with the same options, which had the CD player connector but was otherwise identical.

I got the harness back in the spring but finally got around to installing it a couple of weeks ago. Taking that console out is a bit of a pain, primarily because of the size and having to remove the air duct and disassemble the rear end of the console to get at the rear end of the harness and connectors.

Now everything is installed, but the CD player doesn't seem to have power -- won't take a disc and won't make noise when you hit the eject button.

I took it to the dealer thinking that they needed to tick a box on their magic scan tool, but they said they they don't have any sales codes to apply to get the CD player to work for a 2020 -- didn't think of asking about a 2019 option code at the time -- stupid me.

Anyway, I'm deciding whether to go back to the dealer and see if any 2019 flashes would get it working or just get a bypass cable and AlfaOBD and try it myself.

If anyone else has gone down this road and been successful, please let me know.
One way or another, you need to get the CD Player enabled in the BCM, otherwise the soft key for it won’t show up in the radio and you won’t be able to control it.
You might as well just get AlfaOBD to do it, because the dealer can’t trick wiTECH into making the sales code show up while connected to your VIN.
I can’t remember if the CD player is unresponsive until then, but I’d start by making sure the power and ground for the CD player are present on the main “H” connector that plugs into the center console. Can you post a pic of the wires going into that main connector?

Chrisminx

Reaction score

gort

Reaction score
One way or another, you need to get the CD Player enabled in the BCM, otherwise the soft key for it won’t show up in the radio and you won’t be able to control it.
You might as well just get AlfaOBD to do it, because the dealer can’t trick wiTECH into making the sales code show up while connected to your VIN.
I can’t remember if the CD player is unresponsive until then, but I’d start by making sure the power and ground for the CD player are present on the main “H” connector that plugs into the center console. Can you post a pic of the wires going into that main connector?
Thanks for the reply, Jimmy07 -- I didn't take pictures of that connector when I pulled the center stack display and removed the console. I only took pictures of the connectors that weren't obvious to aid re-assembly. I do, however, have to pull the display again this weekend to add a power tap for a dashcam I also want to install, so I'll take some pics then and post them next week.

Users who are viewing this thread