Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cd player

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
As most of you know, I've been a little obsessed that my 20 Laramie drw Laramie L1 w/ 12" uconnect didn't come with a cd player. I know I'm old school, just don't take my 8 track player away. From what i can gather is that the plastic where the cd player or storage cubby with 4 little charge/ media plug ins are is all the same piece as the whole phone charger assembly. My truck didn't come with the little storage cubby or cd with the 4 plug ins to the right. Mine is just the whole area with the 4 little plug ins in the center wich as you've heard me beach about it, annoys the flick out of me. All that technology and then a big open space wasted with just 4 little plug ins. With a little help from @johanh13 (tyvm) we were able to locate the part number for the cd player wich is pretty reasonable at around $100. So here's my question. I don't want to buy a whole new phone charger with the proper cut outs with cd player for a couple hundred bucks then spend another 100 on a cd player.
1:Has anybody installed the cd player after the fact
2: is there a plug in behind the u connect for it to go right into easy breezy.
3: is there an after mkt cut out holder for cd player and 4 plug ins where you can old school it and cut out that whole empty space and pop it in.
The cd player is mopar # 68335565ab . This is what the phone charger/ charging area look like in my truck.
2020_ram_3500-pic-7541223487280500636-1024x768.jpeg
This is what I want
2019_ram_3500-pic-548496563984847317-1024x768.jpeg

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
What I don't want to have to do is buy a whole new phone charger assembly with cut outs.
Screenshot_20200830-203204.png
Don't need to spend 250 just for a cut out

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
The first post was actually another members picture I had saved. This is my exact set up.
Screenshot_20200830-204713.png

ST3500

Reaction score
I have exactly what you want (without the Aux. switches). I have not played a single CD to this date.
I'm afraid that you need the charging station console in order to host the CD player.
Then, you need to have the dealer to program your radio to access the CD function..... and the appropriate connecting cables..... bla..bla.. bla.... at the end of the day: is it really worth it ?
About a USB portable CD player instead ? Small enough that you can store it in the center console ?
Good luck with that project.
ST

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I have exactly what you want (without the Aux. switches). I have not played a single CD to this date.
I'm afraid that you need the charging station console in order to host the CD player.
Then, you need to have the dealer to program your radio to access the CD function..... and the appropriate connecting cables..... bla..bla.. bla.... at the end of the day: is it really worth it ?
About a USB portable CD player instead ? Small enough that you can store it in the center console ?
Good luck with that project.
ST
Good luck with all that is right. I'm definitely not going through all that, just didn't know if somebody out there has come across a face plate that you can pop in and botta boom botta Bing. I pretty much figured that there would be a plug in all ready back in there so all you had to do was plug and play your cd player and that you wouldn't need any extra wire harnesses. Maybe just have to purchase a bracket to hold it in console. I never thought of having to take it to dealership to get updated so it could access cd functionality. I just figured it would pick it up on its own, shows yah what I know, that's why I posted a new thread asking about it. I definitely not going to do an 80s portable or buy a whole new phone charger mold and or waste time at dealer trying to get it to pull up and they screw something else up. As they say, assumption is the mother of all =#@× ups.

ST3500

Reaction score
CD player Amazon.JPG

The application guide says that it will work on Dodge Ram's 2015 to 2019 with a 8.4" radio.
A quick phone call or email to the manufacturer will confirm if it also works with your 12" radio.
That's one option, hopefully other members might suggest alternate options.

Jimmyj321

Reaction score
For what you would spend, you could pay a tween to rip all your CD's and put them on a thumb drive.
Bought a 256K flash drive and downloaded 400 of my fav songs on to it. Probably will hold 3000 plus. Plugs into Aux 1 or Aux 2. Works great.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Rich, the first issue you have is you listen to CNN, lol.
How about a CD shuffle 10 disk and just mount under your rear seat with a wireless remote ?

Jimmyj321

Reaction score
Bought a 256K flash drive and downloaded 400 of my fav songs on to it. Probably will hold 3000 plus. Plugs into Aux 1 or Aux 2. Works great.
128 GB, I stand corrected. Still should hold l thousand songs.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Rich, the first issue you have is you listen to CNN, lol.
How about a CD shuffle 10 disk and just mount under your rear seat with a wireless remote ?
I knew you guys were gonna catch that snd make fun of me, :rolleyes: that's ok, loud and proud. :DWhile we're on the topic, i hate to get political and I'm not high jacking this thread but i just have to say to get it off my chest , RIP the late great notorious RBG passed on Friday evening. :( She was a truly great woman and an icon, wish we had more trailblazers just like her. Ok, we can move on, thanks for endulging me. I don't want any after mkt cd player, i think i would of been just as happy of i had that little storage cubby were the cd player goes, the thing that annoys me the most is all that technology and then this big area at bottom with just 4 little plugs, that area just sticks out like a sore thumb to me:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread