Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CB Radio?

npurdy1112

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been considering a small CB radio for my 2019. It seems that there still are not many or any options available for antenna or radio mounts. Curious as to if anyone has a system installed or has come across anything specifically made for the 2019s.

Thank you,
Nick

Distillusion

Reaction score
Depending on what CB you get, you might also want to look at HAM radio equipment mounts. There are a lot of them out there, designed to stuff many different sizes of equipment all over your cab. Some companies make custom mounts for certain vehicles. You probably want to stay away from police style mounts, as they usually require lots more changes to the truck. For example, Havis Products makes an entire replacement center console only usable if you have bucket seats.

npurdy1112

Reaction score
Depending on what CB you get, you might also want to look at HAM radio equipment mounts. There are a lot of them out there, designed to stuff many different sizes of equipment all over your cab. Some companies make custom mounts for certain vehicles. You probably want to stay away from police style mounts, as they usually require lots more changes to the truck. For example, Havis Products makes an entire replacement center console only usable if you have bucket seats.

Thank you for the heads up. That is the "problem" too many dang options it gets a little intimidating. I like the all in one style of the Cobra 75 WX ST and also the size of the President Bill FCC. Just need to find an antenna setup that would be best/simplest for the truck. May give it a more time for options to become available.

slimchance

Reaction score
i have a uniden 520 xl with a wilson magnet mount antenna in both my wife's trk (2019 Ram Larime 1500) and my trk (see sig) ... use a 90 degree elbow at the antenna attachment on the cb to take the stress, set it im console against velcro ... and use a Hector 110v to 12v converter for power ..... works good for us
EDIT: the Hotor 110 to 12v converter has failed again, first time they replaced it under the "Lifetime Warranty", seems like that is only one Lifetime cause now they are balking on replacement after one year .. just saying

Attachments

• 20190327_132944_resized.jpg
    20190327_132944_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 191
  • 20190327_133035_resized.jpg
    20190327_133035_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
  • 20190327_132722_resized.jpg
    20190327_132722_resized.jpg
    999.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 20190327_132907_resized.jpg
    20190327_132907_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 197
Last edited:

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
I had the exact same one. Cobra 75 watt handheld in my 2016 and I used a thru the glass mount antenna which was a double sided tape and ran wires under carpet to behind driver backseat up to back glass then about a 24” antenna on the outside glass. (Removed for car washes)
Haven’t installed into 2019 because I have to admit not many on them anymore. I think truckers use cell more. After 3 years of having mine, I only heard 3 conversations up and down I-35 in Texas.

WORKMAN WEP-9000 CB / WEATHER BAND GLASS MOUNT ANTENNA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E0CCCZE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_H2P0DbKDPQ8GH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

npurdy1112

Reaction score
i have a uniden 520 xl with a wilson magnet mount antenna in both my wife's trk (2019 Ram Larime 1500) and my trk (see sig) ... use a 90 degree elbow at the antenna attachment on the cb to take the stress, set it im console against velcro ... and use a Hector 100v to 12v converter for power ..... works good for us

Slimchance, that is about the unit size I am looking for. I don't have the full center console, so another mounting location will have to work for me. How is the sound from the internal unit speaker? What is the purpose of the usb stick in aux 2?

Hoff, yea I have notice the same downturn on CBs from my research and running across videos on youtube. They would be occasional use from the beginning just to have for inter/intrastate driving and possibly use around our property.

slimchance

Reaction score
Slimchance, that is about the unit size I am looking for. I don't have the full center console, so another mounting location will have to work for me. How is the sound from the internal unit speaker? What is the purpose of the usb stick in aux 2?

Hoff, yea I have notice the same downturn on CBs from my research and running across videos on youtube. They would be occasional use from the beginning just to have for inter/intrastate driving and possibly use around our property.
the internal speaker is facing the driver so it works perty good .... the USB has about 300 MP3 songs on it because i get tired of advertisements on Suris XM ... and as to hearing only 3 conversation on the CB traveling across Texas, IF those 3 were reporting a problem on my trailer or a speed trap or a tree down across the road around the next turn and saved me $$$, GREAT

AND how does another driver know my cell phone # to let me know there is a problem ... i was to people don't use CB anymore they use cell phone by a salesperson at Radio Shack several years ago ... they are out of business

Distillusion

Reaction score
The wife runs the Waze app on her smartphone. It's tied to Google maps. People enter all kinds of stuff into it. Location of accidents, cops, traps, hazards, and more. I don't bother with it, but I also quit using a CB about 40 years ago when they got overrun with "Convoy" kids and people that don't understand the value of radio silence.

slimchance

Reaction score
the wife is not always with me when i drive my trk .... Waze is nice BUT would they know my tires are low or smoking or a storage door has popped open and in PA cell phone coverage for Waze is NOT always available .... and as others have reported here the "convoy" kids have moved on to the internet and because i do NOT use Waze i do NOT know IF the notice about speed traps and more expire or am i slowing down for a speed trap and more that no longer exists???

Distillusion

Reaction score
the wife is not always with me when i drive my trk .... Waze is nice BUT would they know my tires are low or smoking or a storage door has popped open and in PA cell phone coverage for Waze is NOT always available .... and as others have reported here the "convoy" kids have moved on to the internet and because i do NOT use Waze i do NOT know IF the notice about speed traps and more expire or am i slowing down for a speed trap and more that no longer exists???
I don't have the wife with me most of the time, and as I said, I don't use Waze myself. It's no more reliable than the CBs were. Can't tell you how many times I got notified on CB of speed traps 20 to 50 miles ahead that didn't exist when I got there, and that was before CBs became super popular. And often there were no other folks on the channel when you did need something. Or they were out of range and breaking up. Yeah, you're right, the two are different in coverage and use. The one thing in common is that they're only as reliable as the guy at the other end. :)

slimchance

Reaction score
"got notified on CB of speed traps 20 to 50 miles ahead that didn't exist when I got there " .. it takes 20 to 50 minutes to get to those speed traps and alot can change in a few minutes BUT better safe than $$$$ ... i have had a cb in ALL my vehicles for the past 50+ years, they have paid for themselves many times over .."The one thing in common is that they're only as reliable as the guy at the other end " just like Fuelly

Distillusion

Reaction score
Yeah, same problem as Waze and tools like it. People put in stuff like speed traps and that stuff stays in the system a long time. As you said, much can change in a few minutes' time.

Fuelly?

slimchance

Reaction score
here is the latest on my failed, 3rd time, Hotor converter .....
copied from Hotor email .." So sorry for the inconvenience to you caused by our product.
My technical workmate told me that our converter may be not suit for your devices. So we decided to refund you. "​

npurdy1112

Reaction score
Is the converter needed? Most install videos or “all included” packages I see for sale make no mention of them. Seems like most are direct to battery or 12v plug.

slimchance

Reaction score
the only 12v plug in our 2019 (both the 1500 and the 2500) only have a 12v plug on the top of the dash .... i do not want a wire hanging from the top of the dash .... the only other option is to use the 120v outlet in the console thru a converter, out to a 12v cig plug ..... i have ordered these and will see how they work ...

foneguy

Reaction score
ivebenn thinking of a clean way to put mine in for longer trips but no luck, and same thing with the 12v plug on top dash

npurdy1112

Reaction score
ivebenn thinking of a clean way to put mine in for longer trips but no luck, and same thing with the 12v plug on top dash

i had considered this mount, to make the power wiring close to the source, then run the coax through the hole that is center of that dash slot. But a CB has been pushed back for myself.

Camr

Reaction score
Uniden have a unit not much bigger than a deck of cards with all the controls on the mic. He box is easily attached under the passenger side dash. It comes with an extension cable for the mic, so the control box can be mounted almost anywhere, under the seats, etc. I used it in my 2014, and moved it to my new 2019.

jsalbre

Reaction score
i had considered this mount, to make the power wiring close to the source, then run the coax through the hole that is center of that dash slot. But a CB has been pushed back for myself.

That seems like an awful lot of money for a bent piece of aluminum with a couple holes in it.

Users who are viewing this thread