Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrying a 37" Spare Tire

R.J.

Reaction score
So obviously a 37" will not fit under the stock spare location. So really the only options are mounting with a wingnut style centerpost in the bed, ratchet tie down in the bed, a Rigid style hitch mounted system, or carry nothing at all. I always carry a plug kit, but hate not having a full size spare that matches the other sizes tires. Mounting in the bed is okay, but leaves no room for anything else. The Rigid system, although expensive, adds a lot of length and kinda looks out place?

What have some of you done for a solution?

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Has anyone ever been able to modify the area underneath to fit in a 37" tire? I wondered how the shielding was installed and if it could be moved out to provide more room or if there are other parts in the way that limit the maximum size to 33-35"?
The frame rails are not wide enough

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I built 5 different mounting systems over time for my 2016 (short bed) and the one I disliked the least was essentially two pieces of superstrut that ran across the rails, essentially like a toolbox. It didn't block my view, but also kept it off the bottom of the bed which worked most of the time, but there were a handful of times we were out and I needed the full bed space. Hoisting it up to the roof rack was a chore, and every time I was very afraid I'd hit the topper either on the way up or down.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
the rear trac bar gets in the way on coiled trucks. I couldn't even get a 35" up in there.

You can fit a 35" there. Some have not needed to modify anything. I had to trim my exhaust heat shield to get the spare to fit flush. Took 20min.

I'm probably going to just secure mine flat in the bed and under my front runner bed rack when I go 37. I was thinking about putting it on top of the bed rack, but I don't think I want it visible. I know some people like the bumper swing outs, but I don't like the added weight.

R.J.

Reaction score
I built 5 different mounting systems over time for my 2016 (short bed) and the one I disliked the least was essentially two pieces of superstrut that ran across the rails, essentially like a toolbox. It didn't block my view, but also kept it off the bottom of the bed which worked most of the time, but there were a handful of times we were out and I needed the full bed space. Hoisting it up to the roof rack was a chore, and every time I was very afraid I'd hit the topper either on the way up or down.

I like the idea of having it off the bed a bit just in case you need to pick up some plywood, 2x4s, etc.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Right now mine is strapped and cabled in the back of my bed. I will either go threaded center post in the bed like my old 2007 or strapped down on top of the Decked system if I pull the trigger on it.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
yokohama geolander 35" won't fit. I do have a beefier trac bar so that probably impacts the space available.
Deflate it a little first. That's the only way I could get mine to fit. That was a used tire I bought though just to have a spare.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
if I deflated it to get it to fit, do i air it up after it's wedged in or carry a compressor? :D
So I reinflated it after I threw it up there, but full disclosure I never had to lower it again... I carry my dewalt inflator everywhere camping which is why I wanted the "full sized" spare in the first place. So I didn't really worry too much.

dave41079

Reaction score
My spare is 34.8" tall and fit fully aired up on the factory spare wheel. I would also have no issues running that as a spare for 37s. I understand other people won't feel the same, and that's fine.

AEV also offers a vertical tire mount for in the bed that works with tires up to 42x1450.

jadmt

Reaction score
if I deflated it to get it to fit, do i air it up after it's wedged in or carry a compressor? :D
I have Toyo RT' 35's and I have my spare aired down to nothing. I carry a compressor )Viair400P and if I need the spare I will just air it up. I also helped my buddy get his Nitto 35 ridgegrappler up and he also is aired down to nothing. it is tight and I used a floor jack to help get it up in place. You have to get it started at an angle and once it gets far enough up it actually pops in place. It comes out easier than it goes in, I tested it because I was worried I might not get it out if I needed it.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

Yes, I carry the larger smitty built compressor. The 35" Duratracs measure 34.8" and fits fine. Again, I had to cut my muffler heat shield very slightly and put a little elbow grease in to clear the hitch and traction bar.

jadmt

Reaction score
I’ll let you come over and put that mounted 37 on the roof and I’ll call you when I gotta get it back down, too. haha.
I always have visions of needing the spare in the worst possible spot and if it is on the roof taking a bounce off a ledge somewhere never to be seen again. I guess a guy to tie a rope to it but my luck it would bounce back and put a dent in my truck..

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I always have visions of needing the spare in the worst possible spot and if it is on the roof taking a bounce off a ledge somewhere never to be seen again. I guess a guy to tie a rope to it but my luck it would bounce back and put a dent in my truck..
I was more afraid it would rip my roof rack off than the spare ever coming loose and running away. But I always torqued the hell out of it to prevent that.

jadmt

Reaction score
I was more afraid it would rip my roof rack off than the spare ever coming loose and running away. But I always torqued the hell out of it to prevent that.
i mean when you get a flat tire and have to throw it off.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
i mean when you get a flat tire and have to throw it off.
Ahhh. Yeah. I stood on the tailgate and carefully lowered it down. Then I'd jump down and carefully lower it from the tailgate to the ground. No way I'd drop that big bouncy missile.

Users who are viewing this thread