Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carpet Wear vs Floor Mat Coverage

Ruffone

Reaction score
A question for you guys that have used all the different brands of floor mats... The one place that always gets the most wear from the carpet in my trucks is just to the right of the gas pedal on the transmission tunnel, It usually wears away fairly quickly there. Yesterday I was cleaning the interior of the truck and I found a clump of loose black carpet fur just hanging from the trans tunnel. I’ve only had the truck for 4 months now and the carpet in that area already feels a lot thinner than the carpet surrounding it, so I am assuming that’s where the loose fur is coming from. I’ve got the factory all weather mats and they don’t cover the trans tunnel that far up. Is there anyone else that has that wear issue with their vehicles? If so, does any of the aftermarket floor mats cover this area? I’ve always wondered why manufacturers never put a thick rubber or thick leather pad right in that area, especially with how close the gas pedal is to the trans tunnel.

Ruffone

Reaction score
It’s hard to when electrical rated hard toed shoes are required for work.

Last edited:

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I hear ya. I manage to scuff the carpet too. Interestingly, the Husky weather beaters I have in the truck ride up against the tranny tunnel considerably more on the passenger side than the driver's side. I can't see any reason why they couldn't have done that on the driver's side unless there's some issues with min clearance from the go pedal.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
^ husky is the same way. passenger goes way up the hump.

TexMarQue

Reaction score
Do you have the bench seat? I had the husky liners in my 2006, and they had a piece that went over the transmission hump. Of course, it was extra, and it won't work if you've got the center console. I've got the Mopar all weather mats currently, but am considering getting just the hump liner from Husky again to bridge the gap. Link below, scroll to the bottom.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
the husky mats on my 05 went all the way up. these don't for whatever reason in the new body styles.

Ruffone

Reaction score
TexMarQue, I have the bench without the large console on the transmission hump. Thanks for that Husky link, I sent them an email asking them if that center piece will cover the carpet that far back and up.

bigcitymike

Reaction score
A question for you guys that have used all the different brands of floor mats... The one place that always gets the most wear from the carpet in my trucks is just to the right of the gas pedal on the transmission tunnel, It usually wears away fairly quickly there. Yesterday I was cleaning the interior of the truck and I found a clump of loose black carpet fur just hanging from the trans tunnel. I’ve only had the truck for 4 months now and the carpet in that area already feels a lot thinner than the carpet surrounding it, so I am assuming that’s where the loose fur is coming from. I’ve got the factory all weather mats and they don’t cover the trans tunnel that far up. Is there anyone else that has that wear issue with their vehicles? If so, does any of the aftermarket floor mats cover this area? I’ve always wondered why manufacturers never put a thick rubber or thick leather pad right in that area, especially with how close the gas pedal is to the trans tunnel.

These Maxliner's are a one piece front and back set. They cover the trans hump, and go pretty high up next to the pedal. Link

Attachments

• Maxliner_.jpg
    Maxliner_.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 14

bigcitymike

Reaction score
After a week of use, I'm sold on the Maxliner's. The fit and finsh is fantastic, and the coverage is the best I've seen. I ordered 4 different sets to test out. I really wanted to like the Mopar slush mats. The feel and texture of the mat was great, but the coverage wasn't as good as the Maxliner's. Also, the Mopars didn't cover the space behind the gas pedal. An area which is prone to getting dirty.

Ruffone

Reaction score
After a week of use, I'm sold on the Maxliner's. The fit and finsh is fantastic, and the coverage is the best I've seen. I ordered 4 different sets to test out. I really wanted to like the Mopar slush mats. The feel and texture of the mat was great, but the coverage wasn't as good as the Maxliner's. Also, the Mopars didn't cover the space behind the gas pedal. An area which is prone to getting dirty.
Mike, could you take a picture showing the new Maxliners around the gas pedal and post it so I can see what it covers. Thanks for the update as well.

bigcitymike

Reaction score
Mike, could you take a picture showing the new Maxliners around the gas pedal and post it so I can see what it covers. Thanks for the update as well.

Here you go.

Attachments

• IMG_4282.JPG
    IMG_4282.JPG
    531.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4283.JPG
    IMG_4283.JPG
    675 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4284.JPG
    IMG_4284.JPG
    638.5 KB · Views: 33

Users who are viewing this thread