Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carli R2 Coils on Rear of PW

Go4Mac

Reaction score
Doing some more reading i have added the following:

CARLI SUSPENSION 2014+ DODGE RAM REAR BUMP STOP DROPS​

CS-DRBD-AL

2019+ RAM THUREN BOOGIE RATED BUMP STOPS DODGE RAM 2500/3500 4X4​

SSF-302-47

THUREN FABRICATION 2014+ RAM 2500 REAR TRACK BAR KIT​

TF-RLR2500-TBK

Total cost for all (including post above) in cart: $3160 - not including shipping and tax.

I’ve thought about airbags, but i feel i want to see how this works first.

Anything else i am missing on this build?

Wobly

Reaction score
I love this thread! I am looking at buying a 2019-20 powerwagon. I test drive one the other day and really liked it, but it is very soft and yet i could feel the small bump compliance was harsh. I would like to add a camper top with a tent with ram boxes (yes, i understand how there are no aftermarket systems for this, i am scheming about this as well) and a drawer system. I’m sure it will be 500-600 pounds in the bed. I love Carli, but i do not need/want to run 37’s. (Probably run 35’s) Picking up from this thread, i have pieced together the following items from cjc-

THUREN FOX 2.0 REMOTE RESERVOIR LEVELING KIT POWER WAGON (2014-2022)​

(1/2” probably)

THUREN FOX 2.0 IFP SHOCKS POWER WAGON (2014-2022)​

TF985-24-202

CARLI SUSPENSION 2014+ DODGE RAM 2500 LIFT MULTI-RATE REAR COIL SPRINGS​

CS-DMRC-14-R2

I am looking for a smoother ride with more payload. I am not looking to add more hight to the truck if i can help it. Does this sound about right? Thoughts?
This is the exact setup I am running and it fits my needs perfectly. You will be happy with it...except over concrete seams on the road. Those are still terrible.

Go4Mac

Reaction score
@Wobly - What size tires and psi are you running? Maybe let a little air out? Just spitballing.

Go4Mac

Reaction score
@Wobly - one more question for you - I am planning on having a light weight pop-up camper (500 lbs) + wooden cabinets (200 lbs) inside the truck most of the time. When I camp I will also add the usual food + gear + family of four and a big dog. I am guessing ~ 1500 pounds on a usual camp trip. Think this set up will be okay? My 1500 does it (minus the 500 pound pop-up) no problem. I will also be towing a raft trailer and gear occasionally. Again, my 1500 does it fine, but I also added airbags to the 1500. I defiantly load the crap out of it to go rafting. Let me know what you think. I am teetering on getting a regular 2500 and making the suspension softer, rather than getting the powerwagon and beefing it up. I just like the extras that the power wagon come with - why not!

Anyway, I would love the advice from someone who owns a powerwagon with this set up. At this point I have only test driven one.

Thank you for your feedback!

Last edited:

Go4Mac

Reaction score
Adding one more item to my build:

FIRESTONE RIDE-RITE 2014+ RAM 2500 DODGE REAR AIR BAG KIT​

2598/KU09140BK

Wobly

Reaction score
@Wobly - one more question for you - I am planning on having a light weight pop-up camper (500 lbs) + wooden cabinets (200 lbs) inside the truck most of the time. When I camp I will also add the usual food + gear + family of four and a big dog. I am guessing ~ 1500 pounds on a usual camp trip. Think this set up will be okay? My 1500 does it (minus the 500 pound pop-up) no problem. I will also be towing a raft trailer and gear occasionally. Again, my 1500 does it fine, but I also added airbags to the 1500. I defiantly load the crap out of it to go rafting. Let me know what you think. I am teetering on getting a regular 2500 and making the suspension softer, rather than getting the powerwagon and beefing it up. I just like the extras that the power wagon come with - why not!

Anyway, I would love the advice from someone who owns a powerwagon with this set up. At this point I have only test driven one.

Thank you for your feedback!
I run 315/70-17 Load Range E Falken Wildpeak AT3w's at around 50 psi front, 45 rear. I have done the chalk test a few times to get to those pressures with what I usually carry in the bed of the truck. I usually have around 400lbs of gear in the back on a daily basis. The concrete seams are just a fact that I have learned to live with. The truck does great on everything else I want it to do. I also have airbags installed, but only inflate them when I am towing our travel trailer. When I am done, I vacuum them up so I don't have "bag slap" in the cradles.
As for the gear/weight you will carry, about two weeks ago I was helping out an organization that needed a lift into the mountains to do trail repairs. We loaded all the water cans into the bed of my truck. I calculated the 150 gallon load at about 1300lbs of water. It didn't seem to squat the truck at all just sitting on the springs. When we took off, though, I could definitely feel it. The truck was fine, but it was noticeable on corners. When we got to the trailhead, I aired down to about 30 psi to run the trail to their campsite and it made it just fine. If I was going to be hauling that load on a long distance or on the highway, I probably would have put some air in the bags to firm up the rear. But, knowing I was going off road I wanted to have the softer ride and articulation.

Go4Mac

Reaction score
Sounds like a good psi on that tire size… not sure. The small test drive i did i found it to be very harsh small bump compliance. I chalked it up the high psi the dealer has set the tires to (almost 70 psi on 33’s). Thanks again for all your help, i heard back from cjcoffroad and asked what they thought of those components. All they replied was they thought i should get a pintop kit. While i love the Carli pintop, I’m not looking to run 37’s; i think 35’s are plenty. I will be selling my old truck soon and start looking for a powerwagon. Cant wait for the next build.

Wobly

Reaction score
When I picked up my truck from the dealer, I took it for a test drive and thought I would need a kidney belt. The wife thought there was something wrong with the truck and didn't want me to get it. I drove to a Discount Tire a couple of miles away and grabbed one of their free tire pressure gauges and checked the tire pressure. It was almost 80 psi! I let some air out to get it down around 55 psi and drove it back to the dealer. It was MUCH more comfortable and the wife was happier. I had the Falkens installed the next morning.
When I was researching the springs and shocks, I talked with Thuren and CJC. Both companies took the time to ask what I was looking for and answered my questions. Thuren actually told me NOT to get their soft-rate springs due to what I was planning to carry in the back. When I asked them about mixing the Carli R2's with their shocks, they said they had heard good things about it, but wouldn't recommend it since it wasn't tested with their setup. I can confirm that the Thuren tuned Fox 2.0 IFP extended length shocks work great with the Carli R2's.
Also, plan for a Thuren rear trackbar. From the factory, the Power Wagons have a tendency to go up-left when they hit a bump. The Thuren trackbar turns that into an up-down motion. It makes a world of difference.

Go4Mac

Reaction score
Yes, i was planning both front and back trackbar. Part of me wants the full pintop, but i really don’t want 37’s, and I’ve seen a video of the Powerwagon pintop on 35’s and it is way too big of lift for that size tire. On the thuren website, it lists the soft springs as 6% more stiff than oem powerwagon, so i imagine better than oem for heavy loads. Not sure why it is called a “soft spring lift”? I’m planning on getting the thuren front level kit that will come with the 2.0 reservoir Fox shocks on a middle of the road level 3. I’ll get the 2.0 ifp extended back shocks with the r2 coils. Glad to have found someone to lead the way in this endeavor!

Wanderlust073

Reaction score
Only way I’ve found to get past the concrete seams resonance issue is to drive ridiculously fast.

Go4Mac

Reaction score
Hey @Wobly , one last quick question. My 1500 airbag system replaced the bump stops, is it the same on the powerwagon?

PapaJoe224

Reaction score
I've searched and found this thread, plus others that hit the topic, but looking for more intel and results/opinions before I move forward. I am familiar with the options currently offered; to include the fact the E-venture set is now available for RAM 2500 Cummins but nothing for the Hemi or Power Wagon specific. The Fox 2.5 DSC is out but no true "kit" that pairs it with correct springs for the PW. I know you 'can' add adjusters to King shocks (even more money) found in the pre-tuned PW suspension kit(s) and of course those kits are marketed to dissuade buyers from thinking more adjustability would ever be "even better."

My scenario: 2022 Power Wagon - Level 2, w/ ram boxes, currently on 35s > likely going to 37s with next tire purchase. I already have, but not yet installed, the Thuren rear track bar that improves the 'up & left' axle hop this truck is infamous for.
Have added the heaviest White Knuckle Offroad rock rails/steps they make, a 60 gallon auxiliary fuel tank with pump/hose in bed. Carry pro eagle Kratos jack in bed. Ram boxes carry recovery gear, safety/emergency gear, knock-off 10 lb. CO2 air 'Power Tank'. Daily driving constant payload added around 500 lbs. with full aux tank.
Will tow a 27 foot off-grid travel trailer that will weigh in the 9500+/- range when fully loaded up. When taking the trailer out there will be some additional payload in the truck bed I'm sure. Constant rear/bed payload of 500 with full tank, tongue weight with trailer another 900-1000, and additional gear payload when camping/traveling will put rear/bed payload total in the 1500-1800 range.
I go off roading in the truck and will do low to moderate+ speed on Forest Service, BLM, dirt roads. Also rock crawling up to moderate+ levels. The trailer is true off-grid capable and will be pulled on trails and off trail into areas that most trailers can't dream of going.

I am not hell bent on lifting the PW above its standard 2" higher than stock 2500 height, but not opposed to it either.
Currently, with WKO rails/steps, full aux fuel tank + gear (no passengers) the truck still has 3/4" to 7/8" rake. I can certainly feel it squatting some as compared to empty and know the stock springs are going to be maxed out with trailer added. Don't want to be there. CJC Offroad suggested the King Pintop suspension kit for the driveability AND the new FULLTRAVEL removable air bag kit > https://www.cjcoffroad.com/products/full-travel-rear-air-bag-kit-2014-current-ram-2500 and > https://fulltravelbags.com/ for towability.
I realize the fulltravel airbags would make the towing experience better than just changing to stiffer rear coils, but I'm not excited about the aspect of crawling under the truck in dirt/mud/snow to install & uninstall those air bags. That will be infrequent in next several years but likely far more common as I near retirement and potential of far more frequent travels and/or almost full timing in trailer. I would prefer to do a coil change to the Carli R2 https://www.carlisuspension.com/2014-ram-2500-load-capacity-test-r1-vs-r2/ in order to also resolve the 1" or so of sag with my constant payload AND be there for handling the load reasonably well when I'm towing the trailer.
I also WANT the driveability and ADJUSTABILITY of the Fox 2.5 DSC shocks (or at least an adjustable shock that covers the range of my needs).

The Thuren "kit" would be fantastic if only it had the option for stiffer rear coil INSTEAD of going even softer than stock, or if the other rear coil option didn't lower the rear another 1" lower than my PW stock spring. Arrgh!!
The Carli R2 rear coil seems to be the answer to that problem.. BUT no manufacturer or supplier can (will) confirm compatibility [issues of spring rates, shock tune, shock length specs,and shock travel specs] with a mix of coil and springs that they don't sell.

I'll stop here and hope you guys that have contributed on this and other related threads will chime in now and give more specifics with your experience and spec of build/combo using the R2 coils. Thank You.

Go4Mac

Reaction score
R2’s back and thuren front coils with fox dsc’s are on my short list. I read that stock PW suspension, these dsc’s are supposed to work:
Front 883-26-066
compressed 16.01"
Extended 25.49"
travel 9.78"

Rear 883-26-063
compressed 16.5"
extended 27.15"
travel 10.6"

The website states they will work with 2”-3.5” suspension lift. Would need to figure out how much longer the new springs would go, but i don’t think it is much. I’m guessing those would still work for the r2’s? Let us know what you end up finding out. I’m following.

Wobly

Reaction score
@PapaJoe224 for the setup you are looking for, I would recommend the R2's. I can't speak to the adjustable shocks since I have the Thuren Fox 2.0's. But the R2's are a great spring that carry the 400-ish lbs of gear in the back of my truck with ease. I have Timber Grove airbags instead of my rear bumpstops and I vacuum them up when not towing. With the off-roading I have done I have never hit the "box rate" of the springs and needed the bumpstops. Fronts are another story. Get the Boogie Bumpstops for the front.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
I am running R2 coils on my 2023, as part of the Carli Dominator system. Typical load in the back is only about 125# (fridge and aluminum bed slide), so the ride is OK but i knew it would be softer when weighted down. Sure enough, I loaded up the truck a couple weeks ago with three buddies and 3 days of hunting gear, and the truck felt fantastic. So well planted, not floaty, the suspension handled the weight beautifully. The only Reason I noticed the weight was because the suspension felt perfect, less bouncy.

So far I’m very happy with the suspension choice, and the R2. I’d rather have some firmness on the typical day, knowing the truck can handle a heavy load When needed without shooting my headlights at the moon.

PS - this is how she sits unloaded. Just the right amount of rake for my taste:

Attachments

• IMG_7607.jpeg
    IMG_7607.jpeg
    469.9 KB · Views: 50

RedBeastWagon

Reaction score
In the interest of causing chaos and discontent, here is a picture of my rear suspension setup. I have the Carli R2 coils (CS-DMRC-14-R2 available at CJC) and the Thuren tuned shocks (TF985-24-202). The airbags are Timber Grove (because I bought them cheap from a guy) and Daystar cradles. I couldn't stand the "bag slap" even at 0 psi, so I vacuum my bags up with a cheap Amazon hand vacuum pump. (evacuator?) I also have the Thuren rear trackbar. This was the other day when I was installing the Powerstop Z36 rotors and pads.
Did you switch out the end links to use with the R2 coils? If so, did you use the Carli or Thuren version?

Users who are viewing this thread