Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Care and Feeding of Diesel Engines

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Long time listener first time diesel owner.

Had a thought as I was sitting there the other day playing with the UConnect system for what seemed like forever with the truck just idling…cause the truck has to be on to access the system pages…

Is it bad for diesel engines to sit there just idling? Any worse than a regular engine just sitting there idling? Besides wasting expensive diesel fuel?

I know you can just push the button twice without your foot on the brake to get to ACC mode, but then you’re just draining the battery.

I saw in another thread someone was talking about break in and they said don’t baby it or just get on the highway and set the cruise. It was said it’s better to drive it like you mean it for break in, so I was curious what effect long periods of idling would have on the process?

As with most things Googling will get you a half dozen answers in both directions.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Disregard. Answered my own question. Owners manual says it’s bad. Don’t do it. All kinds of fun stuff in there.

Users who are viewing this thread