Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

capacity/payload

TheMightyGiant

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how much towing capacity and payload my truck has. 2017 2500 4x4 6.7L diesel. I’ve seen as much as 17,200 and as little as 11,420. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Eventually looking to buy a fifth wheel camper and want to stay within my trucks means.

Pronto

Reaction score
What does the payload sticker inside your driver's door list? Payload is going to be your limiting factor in that truck.

TheMightyGiant

Reaction score
Now can anyone tell me what they set there trailer brakes on for a 27ft bumper pull travel trailer? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I’m safely pulling the camper and stopping properly. New to pulling anything this size.

Coonhound

Reaction score
Now can anyone tell me what they set there trailer brakes on for a 27ft bumper pull travel trailer? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I’m safely pulling the camper and stopping properly. New to pulling anything this size.
Put your truck in gear with trailer hooked up on reasonably flat ground and let off the brake. Start off with low braking power and pull the trailer brake. Repeat this and increase power til that thing locks up and stops the truck immediately. That's where it should be. I will then adjust power up or down slightly for driving conditions.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Put your truck in gear with trailer hooked up on reasonably flat ground and let off the brake. Start off with low braking power and pull the trailer brake. Repeat this and increase power til that thing locks up and stops the truck immediately. That's where it should be. I will then adjust power up or down slightly for driving conditions.
The braking changes after a certain speed (i think 30mph) so setting it like that is not correct

When going at least 40-50 start low 3ish~ and pull the manual slide it will apply the trailer brakes only, if you feel the trailer pulling you back a decent amount then its good if not go up one step at a time

All trailers are different… my 36Ft 5th wheel will lock up the tires at anything more than 5 but it stops nicely at 4 so thats where its set

Coonhound

Reaction score
Oh, my bad. I've only been driving my 2015 for 330,000 miles of hot shot work and my 2018 for 165,000 miles. Of course, not all those miles were pulling a 40ft 27k rated trailer. There's also my triple axle, my other triple axle, my other triple axle, my 15k tilt deck, my 34ft toy hauler, my utility trailer and the 20k rated trailer I haul for a buddy occasionally. So maybe I've been doing it wrong. BTW, these factory brake controllers stop working after awhile and after replacing two, after market is the way to go. Maybe the 2022 brake controller will work better if the truck ever shows up.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Oh, my bad. I've only been driving my 2015 for 330,000 miles of hot shot work and my 2018 for 165,000 miles. Of course, not all those miles were pulling a 40ft 27k rated trailer. There's also my triple axle, my other triple axle, my other triple axle, my 15k tilt deck, my 34ft toy hauler, my utility trailer and the 20k rated trailer I haul for a buddy occasionally. So maybe I've been doing it wrong. BTW, these factory brake controllers stop working after awhile and after replacing two, after market is the way to go. Maybe the 2022 brake controller will work better if the truck ever shows up.
Aftermarket does not have the speed calibration and i dont know if your older non 19+ factory controllers have it either…. My older trucks i could set it like you do and it worked great but my 19 if i set it like that when I'm up to speed it does not seem to have the same braking power and i have to adjust it…. I to have a ton of trailers plus the large amount of trailers i tow for my customers

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The answer is. "It depends."

Trailer brakes, weight, wiring condition, road conditions.

Current factory brake controllers are also tapped into pedal pressure data from the ABS module. They are 12V PWM and the duty cycle doesn't run full (near) 100% until you're rolling 10MPH. PWM duty cycle is also proportional to the gain setting.

FWIW, I found mine worked better on Light Electric and have it set around 6.0 most of the time pulling 16K - 5th wheel 12K, boat 4K. Heavy electric ramped up to quick and was just to jerky/grabby (those are technical terms) for my liking. on HE I always had it down around 3.0. MY trailer has well adjusted - non greasy from over lubed and blown spindle seals - pads and drums. The tires will lock with the manual override running down my paved street at 20-25MPH. Using LE it is very well manured in city driving and still stops great on the highway.

There's a phenomenal (sticky) post by @Tom2531 right here in the towing forum about the technical function of the brake controller that everyone should read, particularly if you're going to be playing the expert in your responses. It's long and spans several posts but is enlightening.

PASTORT55

Reaction score
Have yo tried to plug your VIN into the RAM towing guide site?

Payload will be on the door sticker. You're not going to have much on a 2500 diesel.
Hi, I'm looking at getting about the same truck as you (3500 limited longhorn) same specs you listed ... I see you have your payload at 3700... the 5th wheel I''ll be towing is 2875.... can you tell me the payload weight on your 5th and let me know how its working out for you. Thanks, I'm a bit nervous about dropping $85k on a truck that will limit my towing capacity

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at getting about the same truck as you (3500 limited longhorn) same specs you listed ... I see you have your payload at 3700... the 5th wheel I''ll be towing is 2875.... can you tell me the payload weight on your 5th and let me know how its working out for you. Thanks, I'm a bit nervous about dropping $85k on a truck that will limit my towing capacity
If you're not on tapatalk, the info is in my sig.

12k gvwr and 4k boat. Pin around 2200 and I still have about 900 to play with. Heavy hitch and genset. Truck scales 9k ready to tow.

Sent from my work avoidance device

PASTORT55

Reaction score
If you're not on tapatalk, the info is in my sig.

12k gvwr and 4k boat. Pin around 2200 and I still have about 900 to play with. Heavy hitch and genset. Truck scales 9k ready to tow.

Sent from my work avoidance device
Great, thanks! I'm looking at a 5th wheel with hitch weight of 2900lbs ... with the larger gas tank, occupants and normal "fill", I'm concerned I may be cutting it too close ... wish ram made the specs a little clearer and consistent. thanks for your help, man! I appreciate it!

Kade Wolfley

Reaction score
Hello everyone, got a quick rookie question. I have a 2014 2500 with a 6.4 and a 3.37 axel ratio. From. What dodge is telling me I am good up to 12.4k in towing. I have a line a fifth wheel that is a great deal but the trailer ways 10.5k dry and 12.2k wet. What is everyone's thoughts? If I get it I will be pulling it from Wyoming to South Carolina.

Leonm228

Reaction score
Hi. New member here. Looking at a 22’ Ram 2500 HD 6.7 CC Laramie 4x4. Sticker payload is 2165. 5th wheel is 31’, 8995 lbs unloaded, with 1467 lbs dry hitch rating. I understand cargo also factors in, but wondering if anyone has a similar setup, and what your experience has been. Any advice is also appreciated. TIA

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
Hi. New member here. Looking at a 22’ Ram 2500 HD 6.7 CC Laramie 4x4. Sticker payload is 2165. 5th wheel is 31’, 8995 lbs unloaded, with 1467 lbs dry hitch rating. I understand cargo also factors in, but wondering if anyone has a similar setup, and what your experience has been. Any advice is also appreciated. TIA
Most will say "run it." IMO if you're already plan on/have a 5th wheel and don't have the truck yet, you should plan on the fact that you're likely going to get one that is bigger or heavier in the future...I would look for a 3500 SRW at a minimum.

Leonm228

Reaction score
Most will say "run it." IMO if you're already plan on/have a 5th wheel and don't have the truck yet, you should plan on the fact that you're likely going to get one that is bigger or heavier in the future...I would look for a 3500 SRW at a minimum.
Thanks for the input. Definitely will look into the 3500, but may be hard to pass up the deal on this 2500… only has 3k miles on it, and really good price.

tchur1

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Definitely will look into the 3500, but may be hard to pass up the deal on this 2500… only has 3k miles on it, and really good price.
Do you need the truck ASAP? If not, order a 3500 for the reasons outlined above. Youll get a way better deal and get exactly what you want. They havent opened 23MY order banks yet and are planning to starat production on 23s in October so chances are youll get the truck in decent time as well.

longhaul

Reaction score
So my truck has a payload of 3825 and max towing of 23000 according to Ram website. GCWR is 32710 and GVWR of truck is 12300. How does Ram calculate to get a max towing figure of 23000?

I'm looking at tandem dual equipment trailers with 2 - 10000 lb axles. Some of the trailers have a GVWR of 20,000, some are at 22000, 22,500, and some at 23900 or 24000 lbs. If I buy a new trailer, most can be derated or uprated to numbers in the ranges I listed.

Any suggestions on what trailer rating to buy to give most flexibility?

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
So my truck has a payload of 3825 and max towing of 23000 according to Ram website. GCWR is 32710 and GVWR of truck is 12300. How does Ram calculate to get a max towing figure of 23000?

I'm looking at tandem dual equipment trailers with 2 - 10000 lb axles. Some of the trailers have a GVWR of 20,000, some are at 22000, 22,500, and some at 23900 or 24000 lbs. If I buy a new trailer, most can be derated or uprated to numbers in the ranges I listed.

Any suggestions on what trailer rating to buy to give most flexibility?

Max towing is GCWR minus the curb weight of the truck. Keep in mind that anything you put in the truck also subtracts from your max towing, you, the weight of your hitch, your lunch, etc. etc.
You're probably better off starting a thread with all the specs of your truck, what you intend to use the trailer for, if you have a CDL etc... You're likely to get better answers that way than just hijacking another thread.
You can also put truck specs in your signature so it'll always be there, even if it's just the basics i.e. 2500/3500, 6.4/6.7, SRW/DRW.....

Users who are viewing this thread