Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot Charge iPHone 15 from USB port in Center Armrest

dmhines

Reaction score
My Tradesman has a USB-A port in the center armrest. USB-A to Lightning was able to charge my Iphone 12 no problem. I bought two different brand USB-A to USB-C cables and they will not charge from this USB-A port in the center console. The cables do work from the USB-A ports on the Dash though. Not sure why .. Anyone have luck charging USB-A to USB-C on their phone from the non-Carplay USB-A port? i know Android phones have been using USC-C forever.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My Tradesman has a USB-A port in the center armrest. USB-A to Lightning was able to charge my Iphone 12 no problem. I bought two different brand USB-A to USB-C cables and they will not charge from this USB-A port in the center console. The cables do work from the USB-A ports on the Dash though. Not sure why .. Anyone have luck charging USB-A to USB-C on their phone from the non-Carplay USB-A port? i know Android phones have been using USC-C forever.
I cant charge anything from my armrest usb.

I would use the USB-C to USB-C to charge a phone it is much faster

dmhines

Reaction score
I'm guessing its only supplying .5 AMP ?? and its not enough for USB-C devices. The port charged my old iphone with lightning cable no problem. I have plugged the USB-A to USB-C adapter into everything I could find .. Wife's Nissan Pathfinder , Golf Cart USB port, my Couch has a USB port, etc ... they all charge my iPhone 15 .. but my Ram 2500 will not.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm guessing its only supplying .5 AMP ?? and its not enough for USB-C devices. The port charged my old iphone with lightning cable no problem. I have plugged the USB-A to USB-C adapter into everything I could find .. Wife's Nissan Pathfinder , Golf Cart USB port, my Couch has a USB port, etc ... they all charge my iPhone 15 .. but my Ram 2500 will not.
Mine would not even charge my iphone 11 back when i had it only the dash usbs work for me to charge

flan

Reaction score
I wonder if they are just defective. Mine no longer works, it used to. Fuses are all good. I’m gonna mess with it later with a few different devices to see wtf is wrong with it. Anyone know how to remove it?

Canadian3500bighorn

Reaction score
My 2022 3500 has the same issue where it will charge sometimes and not others with the center jump seat usb. iPhone 13. Works every time if I plug into the dash, Sounds like this isn’t an isolated incident. Following this thread to see if anyone has solutions!

Ramdsel

Reaction score
I have been having issues on my ‘22 with the ports on the dash intermittently having power. The other day I decided to switch to the armrest port and it was dead. Currently the dash ports are working. All fuses are seated and there is power to the connector under the drivers seat for the armrest port. Popped the trim covering the access to the USB in the armrest and the connector was secure. IDk what’s going on.

Hammerheadshark

Reaction score
Mine too! I bought a usb port tester from Amazon and check it when I start the vehicle. If it’s below 5v iPhone will not charge. It is intermittent, have seen as low as 4.82v. Tried to get the dealer to fix it but they say it is okay (big surprise).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammerheadshark

Reaction score
Mine too! I bought a usb port tester from Amazon and check it when I start the vehicle. If it’s below 5v iPhone will not charge. It is intermittent, have seen as low as 4.82v. Tried to get the dealer to fix it but they say it is okay (big surprise).

After 2 trips to the dealer, decided to fix it myself. Pulled the cupholder trim off (just pull up on it), there are two clips holding charging port in, used a screw driver to push down the top one. bottom one was tricky, pull off the little black cover and you can see it better, used a a 90degree Phillips screwdriver. With it out and disassembled I could see the voltage change when the charger was flexed. Ordrred a new 68229847AB on eBay for $9, back in business!
aa06d422c53f234384e4ff16b72a9b2d.jpg

002ac9a742f4de4c635fb77c94a916e8.jpg

eb3197a7fa4fd0f3e57d2ccd50b1307f.jpg

Pics are new to old, USB tool with iPhone plugged in now charging at 4.95V@2amps, new part, old defective part is last, date code shows 37th week of 21, during pandemic. New one is from 2019.

Note if I had to do it again it might be easier to pry off the black little hinged cover that says ‘USB’ and drill out the bottom clip.

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
Mine (2019) **** the bed a long time ago. Have not fixed it.

ironmike

Reaction score
After 2 trips to the dealer, decided to fix it myself. Pulled the cupholder trim off (just pull up on it), there are two clips holding charging port in, used a screw driver to push down the top one. bottom one was tricky, pull off the little black cover and you can see it better, used a a 90degree Phillips screwdriver. With it out and disassembled I could see the voltage change when the charger was flexed. Ordrred a new 68229847AB on eBay for $9, back in business!
aa06d422c53f234384e4ff16b72a9b2d.jpg

002ac9a742f4de4c635fb77c94a916e8.jpg

eb3197a7fa4fd0f3e57d2ccd50b1307f.jpg

Pics are new to old, now charging at 2amps, new part, old defective part is last, date code shows 37th week of 21, during pandemic. New one if from 2019.

Just checked my armrest usb and found that it has power but will not charge phone. It will charge a flash light when i plug that in. 2020 Ram. Thx for the R&D, I will attempt the new plug you found. Does it charge more than 5v & your phone now?

Hammerheadshark

Reaction score
Just checked my armrest usb and found that it has power but will not charge phone. It will charge a flash light when i plug that in. 2020 Ram. Thx for the R&D, I will attempt the new plug you found. Does it charge more than 5v & your phone now?

It charges my iPhone at 5v @ 2amps = 10watts which is pretty good, enough to charge a iPad too.

Hammerheadshark

Reaction score
So how do we know if we get a new plug that is updated for the correct watt & volts?

The point is that it seems there are a lot of defective USB charger modules out there and need to be replaced. A good one will automatically provide the proper 5v and required current.

ironmike

Reaction score
The point is that it seems there are a lot of defective USB charger modules out there and need to be replaced. A good one will automatically provide the proper 5v and required current.

Ok excellent, So it seems its a crap shoot for getting a good one, Shall order and see i guess...

dmhines

Reaction score
My solution ... works great and Fast Charging ... This is a metal USB charger advertised on Amazon for use in Golf Carts. I removed the 3 prong connector from the factory part and soldered it onto the wiring for this aftermarket charger. Makes it plug and play and you don't have to hack the factory harness at all.

IMG_7080.JPGIMG_7082.JPGIMG_7084.JPG

jsalbre

Reaction score
Is the factory wiring big enough gauge for a USB PD charger?

dmhines

Reaction score
Both factory and aftermarket use a 10 AMP fuse so wiring should be fine. I left the aftermarket inline fuse in place so I am double fused now.

Users who are viewing this thread