Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone help with a measurement?

Will_T

Reaction score
If someone has a truck that they think is about the same height as the truck in my signature (stock 18" wheels) and is able to measure the distance from the ground to the receiver hitch (top, bottom, middle, whatever), I would be very appreciative.

I need to order a 2-1/2" shank/rack for my weight distribution hitch. Like everything else it seems, they are backordered so I don't want to wait until the truck arrives to order and have to tow for months using the reducer. I currently have a 4" drop with a 2" shank on the hitch on my 2001 F-350. It is set so that I could drop it another 2" if needed. The new truck specs out at about the same total cab height as my old F-350 so I am thinking the 4" drop in the new rack will be OK. But because of the 20 year age difference, different brand, etc. I want to make sure the the 4" drop will work with the new one. I can order the 8" drop if needed but don't want to if not needed. Thanks!

Frank

Reaction score
If someone has a truck that they think is about the same height as the truck in my signature (stock 18" wheels) and is able to measure the distance from the ground to the receiver hitch (top, bottom, middle, whatever), I would be very appreciative.

I need to order a 2-1/2" shank/rack for my weight distribution hitch. Like everything else it seems, they are backordered so I don't want to wait until the truck arrives to order and have to tow for months using the reducer. I currently have a 4" drop with a 2" shank on the hitch on my 2001 F-350. It is set so that I could drop it another 2" if needed. The new truck specs out at about the same total cab height as my old F-350 so I am thinking the 4" drop in the new rack will be OK. But because of the 20 year age difference, different brand, etc. I want to make sure the the 4" drop will work with the new one. I can order the 8" drop if needed but don't want to if not needed. Thanks!

I bought this one, I have 20's but shouldn't be a huge difference. I have one notch to spare. 4" would not have been near enough to tow level.

When I was shopping around, I found very few shanks that were for 2 1/2" receivers and 2" heads and none had much drop. Curious to see what you are looking at.

Will_T

Reaction score
When I was shopping around, I found very few shanks that were for 2 1/2" receivers and 2" heads and none had much drop. Curious to see what you are looking at.

I have an Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch. I just need know what the height of the receiver is on a couple of 3500 trucks similar to what I ordered. On my current 2001 F-350 I use the one in the attached photo. As can be seen I could adjust it a couple of holes lower if needed for a taller truck. But if the new Ram is more than 2 or 3" higher, (at the receiver), than the old Ford I may need one with more of a drop. I have a Nash trailer and they sit higher with more ground clearance than most TTs so unless someone has a late model Nash, what works for you will likely not work for my setup.

So all I really need are a couple of actual measurements from the ground to the hitch (top, middle, bottom, does not matter as long as indicated), so I can compare it to what I have now and see how it will change with the Ram if it changes at all.

Thanks to anyone who has a tape and can let me know. :)

Attachments

• hitch.JPG
    hitch.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 25

Razzman

Reaction score
I have an Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch. I just need know what the height of the receiver is on a couple of 3500 trucks similar to what I ordered. On my current 2001 F-350 I use the one in the attached photo. As can be seen I could adjust it a couple of holes lower if needed for a taller truck. But if the new Ram is more than 2 or 3" higher, (at the receiver), than the old Ford I may need one with more of a drop. I have a Nash trailer and they sit higher with more ground clearance than most TTs so unless someone has a late model Nash, what works for you will likely not work for my setup.

So all I really need are a couple of actual measurements from the ground to the hitch (top, middle, bottom, does not matter as long as indicated), so I can compare it to what I have now and see how it will change with the Ram if it changes at all.

Thanks to anyone who has a tape and can let me know. :)
While I can't answer your question I can feel your pain. When we picked up our 2020 Nash 23D last year in Spokane my Andersen for the old Nash didn't work either on our 1500 due to Nash's new frame heights. And of course nobody in Spokane had the Andersen shanks. We drove 900 miles to get it and ended up having to buy an Equalizer WD hitch to get home. Glad we did now as I actually like it better. Now with the 2500 I had to buy a new shank for the Equalizer, never ends.

DMC1

Reaction score
I bought this shank for mine from Amazon. Nice solid one piece shank. Said t would be a few weeks getting here. Showed up about 3 days later.

CURT 17132 Replacement Weight Distribution Hitch Shank, 2-1/2-Inch Receiver, 8-Inch Drop​

whitexc

Reaction score
So is towing with the adapter a no no? I have a brand new WD hitch system that while I figure I may have to adjust, would rather not purchase new stuff.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Will_T

Reaction score
So is towing with the adapter a no no? I have a brand new WD hitch system that while I figure I may have to adjust, would rather not purchase new stuff.

Some have used it with no trouble. Others have said they had some slop when using the adapter. No way to know for sure until you try it with your setup. Since I plan to keep my TT and WDH a long time, I figure why not change it from the start.

Will_T

Reaction score
I bought this shank for mine from Amazon.

Appreciate the recommendations. But as stated above, what I need is the measurement from a truck similar to mine before I can shop. I did get a measurement from another forum, but that person has the auto leveling on their truck which I do not. So that may not be a good comparison. I thought I read somewhere that the unloaded height of the trucks are a bit different with auto leveling than without?

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Sorry for the derail but Adapter is fine it just rattles more unloaded, i have so many 2” hitches i just use the oem adapter and my custom adapter that i made to have the homemade rock tamers on without any hitch or with a hitch

Attachments

• C66BC06D-7D7D-4C9B-A134-C7262F9E393C.jpeg
    C66BC06D-7D7D-4C9B-A134-C7262F9E393C.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 295DB95C-7B9F-453C-B40C-E452B4F4ED98.jpeg
    295DB95C-7B9F-453C-B40C-E452B4F4ED98.jpeg
    760.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Millmutt

Reaction score
The adapter works fine for me. I find most rattling if any occurs when you aren’t attached to a trailer. Attached or under load everything seems fine. I do still get a rattle or clunk now and then but no biggie. I have tried some different anti rattle devices with limited success so I quit using them. Anyways seems no different than towing with previous trucks with 2”.

Will_T

Reaction score
@Ed95pont Was that measurement with not trailer hooked up? I wonder only because someone else sent me the same measurement and it was 29-1/2". That was for a 2019 Diesel Laramie Crew cab 4x4, no lift, 18" wheels. Strange so big a difference. I probably will just wait until I actually have my truck just to be safe.

on edit: A 3rd person just sent me the measurement from their 2020 CCSB Laramie 4X4, no lift, 18" wheels and it was 23-3/4 to inside top so almost identical to yours. So I will discount that 29-1/2" measurement. Must be wrong somehow.

Last edited:

Ed95pont

Reaction score
@Ed95pont Was that measurement with not trailer hooked up? I wonder only because someone else sent me the same measurement and it was 29-1/2". That was for a 2019 Diesel Laramie Crew cab 4x4, no lift, 18" wheels. Strange so big a difference. I probably will just wait until I actually have my truck just to be safe.

on edit: A 3rd person just sent me the measurement from their 2020 CCSB Laramie 4X4, no lift, 18" wheels and it was 23-3/4 to inside top so almost identical to yours. So I will discount that 29-1/2" measurement. Must be wrong somehow.
No Trailer

HopFanatik

Reaction score
@Will_T did you end up keeping your Andersen WDH with your new 3500? If you did, what's your opinion on it's performance? I've been considering picking up the Andersen 3398 for my 3500.

Will_T

Reaction score
@Will_T did you end up keeping your Andersen WDH with your new 3500? If you did, what's your opinion on it's performance? I've been considering picking up the Andersen 3398 for my 3500.
I don't have the truck yet! It is scheduled to arrive at the final railyard today and hopefully at the dealer by early next week. I plan to pick it up a week from Tuesday.

I have not done anything further about the hitch as the measurements I received from people were all so different, I figured it best to wait for the truck and to see how the hitch fits.

I plan to keep the Andersen for sure. I have a 2" shank on the hitch fro my old Ford and the Ram will have a larger 2-1/2" receiver. I will try the adapter first, but if there is any play at all I will order a new hitch shank. If the required drop is different with the Ram, I will get a new 2-1/2" shank with the correct drop even if the play is acceptable. I love the hitch and I even have the original from 2015. The more recent versions of the hitch, since 2018 or so are an even better design. Andersen has been a great company to get answers and support from. I recently noted that my friction material was wearing out after 5 years and they sent me two new friction cones for free. I followed one of their videos on changing it out with no problem.

I am not sure how the Andersen would work with a very heavy TT and a 3/4 ton tuck. Note that I have a Nash 26N with a GVWR of only about 9,000 lbs. and usually loaded less. So not too heavy a TT. Even with my 20+ year old Ford, I got no sway at all and WD worked great and I am thinking with the new 3500 things will be the same. The new Ram is a CC short bed so about 18" shorter than my 2001 Ford, but I am hoping that does not make any difference.

So shorter answer is yes I plan to keep it and will report back once I get it fitted to the new truck and have towed with it.

HopFanatik

Reaction score
I don't have the truck yet! It is scheduled to arrive at the final railyard today and hopefully at the dealer by early next week. I plan to pick it up a week from Tuesday.

I have not done anything further about the hitch as the measurements I received from people were all so different, I figured it best to wait for the truck and to see how the hitch fits.

I plan to keep the Andersen for sure. I have a 2" shank on the hitch fro my old Ford and the Ram will have a larger 2-1/2" receiver. I will try the adapter first, but if there is any play at all I will order a new hitch shank. If the required drop is different with the Ram, I will get a new 2-1/2" shank with the correct drop even if the play is acceptable. I love the hitch and I even have the original from 2015. The more recent versions of the hitch, since 2018 or so are an even better design. Andersen has been a great company to get answers and support from. I recently noted that my friction material was wearing out after 5 years and they sent me two new friction cones for free. I followed one of their videos on changing it out with no problem.

I am not sure how the Andersen would work with a very heavy TT and a 3/4 ton tuck. Note that I have a Nash 26N with a GVWR of only about 9,000 lbs. and usually loaded less. So not too heavy a TT. Even with my 20+ year old Ford, I got no sway at all and WD worked great and I am thinking with the new 3500 things will be the same. The new Ram is a CC short bed so about 18" shorter than my 2001 Ford, but I am hoping that does not make any difference.

So shorter answer is yes I plan to keep it and will report back once I get it fitted to the new truck and have towed with it.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the input.

I have a 28ft Surveyor (33'10" bumper to hitch) with a GVWR of 9K as well.

For 3yrs i've been towing it with a 2017 RAM 1500 Crew with 5'7" box. The Fastway E2 WDH I have been using did a pretty good job on the sway but I need a new drop shank w/ the 3500 and if I'm going to spend hundreds on modifying the existing system ...i figured I might as well get a new WD system that's better and appropriate for the new setup.

Will_T

Reaction score
I have a 28ft Surveyor (33'10" bumper to hitch) with a GVWR of 9K as well.

For 3yrs i've been towing it with a 2017 RAM 1500 Crew with 5'7" box. The Fastway E2 WDH I have been using did a pretty good job on the sway but I need a new drop shank w/ the 3500 and if I'm going to spend hundreds on modifying the existing system ...i figured I might as well get a new WD system that's better and appropriate for the new setup.
For your TT I would expect you would be as pleased as I am with the Andersen. The other nice thing about it is how easy it is to hook it up and unhook it. I installed it easily myself on my original smaller 19' TT and moved it and installed it on our current 26N, 29' TT. Andersen also has a few good videos on installation.

sstoner911

Reaction score
2019 3500 with air bags and 35" tires.

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 14
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    278 KB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread