Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camper shell improve mpg when towing?

BrownieNpadre

Reaction score
Has anyone add a topper or camper shell and noticed any improvement in fuel milage when towing. My mpg is pretty dismal when towing my travel trailer, it is only 21 ‘ and 5k# so assuming it is mostly due wind resistance.

Also curious what mpg people may be getting with large travel trailer, may move to a larger one if I will still get 8-9 mpg. I have a 2020 6.4l .

jsalbre

Reaction score

Jacob

Reaction score
I added a camper shell for hunting season this year. I think there was some improvement towing my cargo trailer. Like 1 mpg. Definitely wouldn't add one just to get better fuel mileage. I've read that the soft toppers don't help. I've never had one. Always got a bit better with hard camper shell on previous truck. Mpg is so bad I try not to calculate it or contemplate it too much.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
8-9 MPG is not pretty dismal for your truck when towing a TT.

It's hard to overcome with wind resistance of a TT.

I recall after putting some gauges in my 05 and starting to monitor things how hard the engine works with a TT. At the time I had a 18' 4.5K TT and on flat ground it took more fuel to tow at 55 than a 15K Dump trailer.

BrownieNpadre

Reaction score
8-9 MPG is not pretty dismal for your truck when towing a TT.

It's hard to overcome with wind resistance of a TT.

I recall after putting some gauges in my 05 and starting to monitor things how hard the engine works with a TT. At the time I had a 18' 4.5K TT and on flat ground it took more fuel to tow at 55 than a 15K Dump trailer.
Okay that is what I am getting at 69 mph. It seem not to gear down as much at that speed. Guess i was hoping to get more like 10-12. maybe i shoulf just be happy.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay that is what I am getting at 69 mph. It seem not to gear down as much at that speed. Guess i was hoping to get more like 10-12. maybe i shoulf just be happy.

Honestly I'm surprised its not closer to 7-8 at 69 mph.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Has anyone add a topper or camper shell and noticed any improvement in fuel milage when towing. My mpg is pretty dismal when towing my travel trailer, it is only 21 ‘ and 5k# so assuming it is mostly due wind resistance.

Also curious what mpg people may be getting with large travel trailer, may move to a larger one if I will still get 8-9 mpg. I have a 2020 6.4l .

I've noticed zero change in Fuelly where I track my mileage.

Attachments

• CAP.jpg
    CAP.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 22

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's difficult to use the term fuel economy and 6.4 Hemi in the same sentence, and I happen to like the 6.4

Hardly.. the term fuel economy has no connotation of good or bad with it. It simply describes the number of miles a vehicle can travel on a specified quantity of fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread