Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cab heaters

jared43758

Reaction score
With the cold weather how long do the diesel trucks take for there cab to warm up. They claim to have supplemental heaters on the diesels.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
With the cold weather how long do the diesel trucks take for there cab to warm up. They claim to have supplemental heaters on the diesels.
I haven’t had enough sitting cold starts yet to have accurate answer. On a couple starts after sitting overnight it worked quickly,started melting snow off of the windshield with in a minute or two. I think this truck has the best heater I have ever had including my 16 Rebel and other gas jobs. Way better than our 2012 diesel that I make the wife drive to work ;)

AKDoug

Reaction score
Just a couple minutes and I have defroster heat on my '19 3500.. the electric supplementary heat works well.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
It's pretty quick, especially if the block heater has been plugged in for a couple or three hrs. As regards the supplemental heating, the following details are courtesy troverman over at cumminsforum:

"The heater is located in the heater box downstream of the heater core. It consists of three 400W resistors, which translates to 100 amps at 12 volts.

Operation is automatic, based upon the following conditions being met:
-Engine must be running at 700RPM or greater
-Outside temp is below 68F
-Coolant temp is below 158F
-Battery voltage must not fall below 12.6

This supplemental heater can be had on vehicles with automatic or manual climate controls. However, the workshop manual lists it as an option rather than standard equipment. Check your fuses / relays under the hood. The manual calls it a "Positive Temperature Coefficient" heater, or PTC."

Savin yours

Reaction score
It's pretty quick, especially if the block heater has been plugged in for a couple or three hrs. As regards the supplemental heating, the following details are courtesy troverman over at cumminsforum:

"The heater is located in the heater box downstream of the heater core. It consists of three 400W resistors, which translates to 100 amps at 12 volts.

Operation is automatic, based upon the following conditions being met:
-Engine must be running at 700RPM or greater
-Outside temp is below 68F
-Coolant temp is below 158F
-Battery voltage must not fall below 12.6

This supplemental heater can be had on vehicles with automatic or manual climate controls. However, the workshop manual lists it as an option rather than standard equipment. Check your fuses / relays under the hood. The manual calls it a "Positive Temperature Coefficient" heater, or PTC."

So I need to check the fuse box to see if I have it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
So I need to check the fuse box to see if I have it?
Look in the left rear corner (aft of the battery) of the engine compartment. If you have the PTC there will be an auxiliary PDC (fuse box) in that location that contains three relays and three 50A cartridge style fuses.

Users who are viewing this thread