Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA 2024 Electric HD Truck Rule

ITGuy

Reaction score
This is the insanity we’re dealing with in California. The good news is our masks hide the faces we‘re making at the governmeby...

Squatch

Reaction score
If I ever get an electric truck I am going to tank turn that thing every chance I get.

D

Deleted member 80

If the manufacturers had any balls they would band together and cease doing business in CA, like they should have done when the CARB tail began wagging the USA dog.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Until we build a metric crap-ton of Gen-IV Nuclear plants to make all this electricity, we're just kicking the can down the road and fooling ourselves (fooling themselves) about zero-emissions.

I know most loathe MM, as do I, but take the time to watch this documentary about the green movement and the fleecing of America. The huggers have tried to get it taken down, but it's still available to watch. He produced it but does not appear or talk anywhere in it.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Just one of the myriad of reasons I will never live in California and have no desire to visit there I am sure there are a lot of fine, level headed folks there but apparently just not enough of them to prevent the kooks from being in control. Ain't enough sunshine, good weather, and beach bikini babes in the whole world for me to put up with the Left Coast.

ITGuy

Reaction score
Just one of the myriad of reasons I will never live in California and have no desire to visit there I am sure there are a lot of fine, level headed folks there but apparently just not enough of them to prevent the kooks from being in control. Ain't enough sunshine, good weather, and beach bikini babes in the whole world for me to put up with the Left Coast.

Unfortunately I grew up here, so the proverbial frog in the kettle. I am planning on moving away once my son graduates high school in a few years, there are a lot of level headed people here but definitely the minority, I am a conservative, patriotic, gun owner, and all of the above seem to be anti-californian with the voters...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I grew up here, so the proverbial frog in the kettle. I am planning on moving away once my son graduates high school in a few years, there are a lot of level headed people here but definitely the minority, I am a conservative, patriotic, gun owner, and all of the above seem to be anti-californian with the voters...

We need more of you in Colorado with all these "not what you are" CA expats here now. Lots of east coast radicals too.

Sadly, I fear it's a lost cause and we're forever blue and CO has been Kalifornicated. Besides, the economy (cost of living) and housing here is now utterly stupid, so I hope you find a place that's not already too infected by the coasties.

D

Deleted member 80

We need more of you in Colorado with all these "not what you are" CA expats here now. Lots of east coast radicals too.

Sadly, I fear it's a lost cause and we're forever blue and CO has been Kalifornicated. Besides, the economy (cost of living) and housing here is now utterly stupid, so I hope you find a place that's not already too infected by the coasties.
AZ is also being overrun. It sux.

zooroadbaja

Reaction score
Im from Cali and just came back from a road trip, and i got some looks cause my plate in northern Idaho. Saw 3 stickers on cars saying f*ck off were full lol. Also laughed saw an electric car pulled over on the side of the highway with a honda 3000 generator and their car plugged into it charging. I work in the natural gas field, and theyre trying to outlaw natural gas in ca. Funny part is our biggest customer is the electric company, using natural gas to produce electricity. This **** is getting out of hand,

ITGuy

Reaction score
I’ve spent my whole career in the technology field and I love some of the internal features of the Tesla, the software, the over the air updates, all of that is great. But I don‘t see how everyone can overlook the fundamentals of wasted hours on the road recharging, no spare tire, sitting on a giant lithium bomb, months for repair parts, body panels that don’t fit together.

Then at the end of the day, finally after spending my whole life hearing about how the Middle East and oil is our Achilles heel as a nation, we reach energy independence, yay mission accomplished... no wait, now we need to switch to a technology based on batteries that we don’t have the raw materials for and we need to pay China for... why? Why would we start the cycle all over again for an inferior technology....

Squatch

Reaction score
My mom has a Tesla, I drove it once, I’ll tell you one thing, that go fast pedal will put a smile on anyone’s face. It is ****ing weird only hearing the sound of wind when your head is pinned to the seat.

ITGuy

Reaction score
My mom has a Tesla, I drove it once, I’ll tell you one thing, that go fast pedal will put a smile on anyone’s face. It is ****ing weird only hearing the sound of wind when your head is pinned to the seat.

Absolutely, the instant acceleration is really fun, but try driving to Texas... Its a great car for driving around town, But towing, off-road, and long distance trips there are issues. And nobody has examined the supply and demand issues of all the new electrical consumption, heck California shuts the power off in my county when the wind blows due to fire risk....

Squatch

Reaction score
Absolutely, the instant acceleration is really fun, but try driving to Texas... Its a great car for driving around town, But towing, off-road, and long distance trips there are issues. And nobody has examined the supply and demand issues of all the new electrical consumption, heck California shuts the power off in my county when the wind blows due to fire risk....
That’s why I don’t own one.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
I suspect the availability of charging stations will not in the foreseeable future reach the density to make electric vehicles a "road trip" practical vehicle and, even if they do, when they put the credit card readers in them you will probably wish you were buying gasoline or diesel. They are probably great for people who never go anywhere.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect the availability of charging stations will not in the foreseeable future reach the density to make electric vehicles a "road trip" practical vehicle and, even if they do, when they put the credit card readers in them you will probably wish you were buying gasoline or diesel. They are probably great for people who never go anywhere.

Ask any Tesla owner if they can't road trip just about anywhere they like. I doubt you'll find any significant negatives. There is some planning involved, but their cars/app make it pretty simple.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
I doubt you'll find any significant negatives. There is some planning involved, but their cars/app make it pretty simple.

From what I read a Tesla Modle S with brand new batteries will go 370 miles. THEN, after 370 miles, if (BIG IF) you can find a 240 Volt outlet, it takes 10 hours to recharge. That's just too much planning and not enough flexibility for me if I'm driving cross country.....or even across Texas in the middle of the night. I'll swap that 10 hour recharge for a 15 minute fill up any time. I'm sure the people who buy them love them. I would feel trapped by technology and wishing I had my Jeep or Ram. I guess it's all in what you call a road trip but 370 miles and a 10 hour wait for recharge IF there is a 240 volt outlet stuck up in the middle of nowhere Texas is not a road trip vehicle to me. When they get up to 600 miles on one charge dependably and can be recharged from an extension cord run out of a motel room in about 6 hours then I might consider one.

Last edited:

Squatch

Reaction score
I have a friend who bought a model S used, it had the upgraded software to make it fast as hell. I guess you got to pay big money to Tesla to get it unlocked. Well, he went to register it, once in his name, Tesla swooped in and removes the unlock for that automatically through software update. Apparently it is non-transferable! How pissed would you be!???

Users who are viewing this thread