Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bypass oil filter

BigBoy2500

Reaction score
I am considering installing the Amsoil kit and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with warranty claims being denied because of it. My dealer says that as long as they install it and maintain the truck it will be covered. We might be moving though and since I paid for the extended warranty and got suckered into paying for the Mopar maintenance plan I want to make sure they will still cover it if anything goes wrong.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
The dealer can’t tell you that you have to use them for maintenance to keep a warranty. They played you like a fiddle, brother.

Many of us install our own parts and change our own fluids and don’t worry about warranty.

in order for them to deny you a warranty claim due to an aftermarket part, they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure. Read up on “magnuson-moss warranty act” for the exact verbiage. That being said, I’m not a lawyer. Do your own research.

and warranties aren’t “all or nothing”. If you put 40” tires on your rig and you get a bad wheel bearing, they might deny your wheel bearing under warranty. But that doesn’t mean your whole warranty is voided.

Last edited:

BigBoy2500

Reaction score
I wish I could still change my own fluids. Broke my back in the Army so that is out, which sucks big time. I may have them install it and since I already paid for them to do fluid changes just keep going there. Live and learn.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I wish I could still change my own fluids. Broke my back in the Army so that is out, which sucks big time. I may have them install it and since I already paid for them to do fluid changes just keep going there. Live and learn.
Thanks for your service and sacrifices, sir

Onelongshot

Reaction score
Thanks for your service brother.
Another option is you provide the filter. Cummins Fleetguard had a filter that is a full flow and bypass all in one. just have them use that filter. The fleetguard number is LF9028 I have used them on my trucks since 2015.

diode_ee

Reaction score
Thanks for your service brother.
Another option is you provide the filter. Cummins Fleetguard had a filter that is a full flow and bypass all in one. just have them use that filter. The fleetguard number is LF9028 I have used them on my trucks since 2015.
Don't all filters have a bypass built into them or is this something special?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

diode_ee

Reaction score
I am considering installing the Amsoil kit and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with warranty claims being denied because of it. My dealer says that as long as they install it and maintain the truck it will be covered. We might be moving though and since I paid for the extended warranty and got suckered into paying for the Mopar maintenance plan I want to make sure they will still cover it if anything goes wrong.
I was looking at this as well for my truck. If you go to the Amsoil website they have additional warranty info on there. It says that if their product causes the failure that they will pay for the repair. So, if it is a manufacturer defect the dealer warranty should pick up the work, and in the event that the bypass filter is the case of the failure then Amsoil will have your back.

Onelongshot

Reaction score
Don't all filters have a bypass built into them or is this something special?

Not exactly. This one has the higher filtration that an external bypass filter would have. You can research them on the cummins filtration website.

Will_T

Reaction score
Cummins Fleetguard had a filter that is a full flow and bypass all in one. just have them use that filter. The fleetguard number is LF9028 I have used them on my trucks since 2015.
A couple of sites said they work through 2018 trucks. Not sure if that is correct or if the sites have just not been updated.

Onelongshot

Reaction score
A couple of sites said they work through 2018 trucks. Not sure if that is correct or if the sites have just not been updated.
It will fit they have not changed oil filters between the model years.

BigBoy2500

Reaction score
GaleBanks put me onto it in this video.
since I am looking for longevity and reliability it seems that improving filtration for oil and fuel is important.

Users who are viewing this thread