Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bypass Oil Filter Install

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
I see that this is definitely a less traveled forum from the 1500 sister site. But I was curious if anyone has installed a bypass filter on the 6.4 Hemi, or maybe seen somewhere it was done. I'm trying to find where to get the supply from, return is not an issue and would likely return through the oil fill cap. At this time, I'm not interested in doing a remote filter setup just from all the potential failure points that it brings along...But with the plethora of room in the engine bay it would be easy to place at least.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
I installed on on my Power Wagon. It's he Amsoil dual remote which is a full flow plus bypass. here's a thread about it; https://www.ramforum.com/threads/just-changed-engine-oil-at-510-miles.172497/
I just took a quick read through your thread...Nice background experience, I used to work for Cummins in Indiana...got to do end of line test on the 95L V16 and was in charge of the hot engine test cell.
I can confirm that we could break those engines in within about 3-4 hours of run time and at that point they were through 90% of the debris shedding(and pretty much guaranteed to live unless something unforeseen happens). This was done by taking a small bypass line and filtering it through like a 5 micron patch and analyzing its metal content.

I thought about doing the full bypass mount like yours, but I'm just not sure about the risk of the added connections. I know there's plenty of room on the HD's to get the larger filter on the stock mount location, I am more interested in just doing a partial bypass install to supplement.

Users who are viewing this thread